PDA

View Full Version : Canadian man took photo of girlfriend's plane at EWR airport, charged in trespassing

Woz
2012-03-22, 10:06 PM
Must of had a few Molson's at the lounge, eh!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Canadian_man_allegedly_took_photo_of_girlfriends_p lane_at_Newark_airport_charged_in_trespassing.html

gonzalu
2012-03-22, 10:52 PM
Great! More bad news for spotting at KEWR!! :tongue:

megatop412
2012-03-22, 11:40 PM
What the heck is the matter with that guy! It's very simple, all he had to do is this(girlfriend is in 5th window from front)
http://media9.dropshots.com/photos/396780/20101219/100449.jpg

jerslice
2012-03-23, 01:32 AM
So if I understand the article right he hopped a fence and then managed to walk out onto the pier?

NIKV69
2012-03-23, 05:10 AM
Climbed on the roof? LOL

gonzalu
2012-03-23, 07:57 AM
...and I thought we went to great lengths to spot at KEWR!

Would be nice to see if he at least got decent shots (NOT!)

Ychocky
2012-03-23, 08:18 AM
It wasn't me!

I hear his shots were rejected anyway for: backlit, motive and cut off part of plane.

PhilDernerJr
2012-03-23, 12:18 PM
The previosu post has influenced me to look into adding a feature to 'like' individual posts. :)

Delta777LR
2012-03-23, 11:42 PM
Great! More bad news for spotting at KEWR!! :tongue: Ill say, I got a few ppl here including myself who could remind some of us what happened on Jan 10th 2010!! lol.. Me and a few other spotters from this site got our memory cards taking away while spotting by the north parking lot at EWR, i havent spotted there since, but memories never go away.. And now this guy chooses to climb on fences to take pics of his girlfriend's flight. Wrong move pal

JHNA57
2012-03-24, 07:54 AM
What a total RICHARD!!!!

threeholerglory
2012-03-24, 09:54 AM
sometimes all you need to do is ask yourself..."what would Senga do?"

AJ
2012-03-28, 12:42 PM
As tough as it is taking pictures at EWR, the title should be corrected.

This idiot makes it bad for all of us.

How 'bout "Idiot Climbs Terminal Building at Major International Airport for Picture" or "Moron Climbs Airport Terminal for Picture." Definately include, Idiot, or Moron, or something derogatory.

Really, stuff like this makes it harder and harder for legitimate aviation photographers. Just my 2 cents.

AJ

snydersnapshots
2012-03-28, 01:30 PM
Ill say, I got a few ppl here including myself who could remind some of us what happened on Jan 10th 2010!! lol.. Me and a few other spotters from this site got our memory cards taking away while spotting by the north parking lot at EWR, l

I'm not trying to hijack the thread here to rehash old news, but this happened before I discovered NYC Aviation. Is there another thread that pertains to the incident you mentioned?

I know it's important to cooperate and be respectful of the authorities when plane spotting so you don't ruin it for others, but how did they back you into a corner so far that you had to give up your memory cards? That is completely illegal on their part. They can ask you to stop taking pictures and leave the premises (assuming it's not public property), but short of a court order or an arrest law enforcement has no right to confiscate film or memory. Of course then it comes down to how far you want to pursue it--sometimes it's better to cut your losses and shoot another day. Now those lucky shooters who have TWO card slots in their cameras have a way out. Put an old 512k SD card in one slot and shoot on the regular card in the other. If you're backed into a corner again, the cops get a memory card, so they're happy, and you get your pictures, so you're maybe not so happy but you still have your pictures.

There was a discussion a few years back on another forum and someone posted this link to a site that lays out exactly what rights a photographer has in this situation: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm Again, discretion is the better part of valor when using this information. The legal fees could add up pretty quickly before you're proven right...

Now, as for the Canadian guy: Instant stupid...just add Molson, ay? I would hope the authorities know the difference between a lovesick idiot and a legitimate plane spotter.

megatop412
2012-03-28, 02:47 PM
Every memory card surrendered to the police is another hole in the foundation of your freedoms as an American citizen.

It's called illegal search and seizure.

snydersnapshots
2012-03-28, 05:43 PM
Every memory card surrendered to the police is another hole in the foundation of your freedoms as an American citizen.

It's called illegal search and seizure.

I agree emphatically... I would think that if pursued it, they could have gotten the Port Authority to buy them some pretty nice new photo equipment.