PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon ANA B744

Speedbird1
2012-03-03, 05:31 PM
How many of you ever saw the adorable ANA Pokemon Jet at JFK? Reg #JA 8692. It started visiting JFK on Feb. 24,1999. It was a B744 and used to taxy to the Delta Terminal. I saw it myself several times, then it suddenly stopped coming since ANA no longer flies a B744 into JFK. I spoke to several passengers de-planing and they were given several souvenirs of the flight. I was wondering what happened to this colorful aircraft? Was it sold, re-painted or what? I am curious why ANA doesn't fly their Pokemon B777 into JFK, either. Incidentally, several models were produced of the Pokemon Jet but I could never get one. I was told that for legal reasons, no models could be sold in the USA and the ones available were extremely expensive to purchase. I did see a small model at the ANA ticket office in Manhattan about 10 years ago.. I can't recall ever hearing that it was illegal to own a model aircraft.

moose135
2012-03-03, 06:25 PM
It's not illegal to own a model aircraft, but in order to sell one with the markings, they need permission via a licensing agreement with the owners of the cartoon (trademark, copyright, etc.) It sounds as if they didn't sign a deal - for which they would have to pay royalties - and thus were not permitted to sell models with the Pokemon artwork.

CX777
2012-03-03, 07:49 PM
How many of you ever saw the adorable ANA Pokemon Jet at JFK? Reg #JA 8692. It started visiting JFK on Feb. 24,1999. It was a B744 and used to taxy to the Delta Terminal. I saw it myself several times, then it suddenly stopped coming since ANA no longer flies a B744 into JFK. I spoke to several passengers de-planing and they were given several souvenirs of the flight. I was wondering what happened to this colorful aircraft? Was it sold, re-painted or what? I am curious why ANA doesn't fly their Pokemon B777 into JFK, either. Incidentally, several models were produced of the Pokemon Jet but I could never get one. I was told that for legal reasons, no models could be sold in the USA and the ones available were extremely expensive to purchase. I did see a small model at the ANA ticket office in Manhattan about 10 years ago.. I can't recall ever hearing that it was illegal to own a model aircraft.

ANA's Pokemon jets were in few versions.

Domestic (B747-400D no-winglets) versions were JA8964 & JA8965
International (B747-400) version was JA8962

So it was "962" that frequented KJFK and around the globe. This was taken at RJOO (Osaka)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/RChangela/d4ba0893.jpg

For models.... I believe at least Dragon Wings made 1:400 and Pacific Miniature made 1:100. Just check the model sites and you will get much more info and maybe able to snag one at right price.

I believe this is one of the big site.... http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/

Raj