PDA

View Full Version : Jfk Spotting in the Summer (June/July)

NickPeterman
2012-03-01, 10:46 AM
Hey Guys,

I am beginning to look into travel plans for the summer, and I usually try to manage at least one semi-big spotting trip (about 3 days). I'm thinking about JFK to try and get some of the traffic I didn't get last time (which is most of the regulars) and was wondering how the light/photographic opportunities are? Does the wind trend for a general direction, is atmospheric haze particularly strong, etc. In a nutshell, is it worth outlaying time, money, and effort to come up :wink:

Thanks in advance for the replies,

Nick

NIKV69
2012-03-01, 11:48 AM
Tough question, JFK can be anything in July. You can have hazy, humid conditions or it can be perfect and dry and great light. Your time frame is when days are longest so to get really good results you have to shoot early morning or late afternoon or both. Midday is basically toplit. You also can get a variety of configs so you need a ride or rental to zoom around but JFK is one of the few places that is always worth a trip.

NickPeterman
2012-03-01, 11:54 AM
I kinda figured it would be a grab bag, weather-wise. I would indeed have a vehicle, so that would help. I wouldn't mind only shooting in the early AM and later PM that much, it is the norm for the Summer I guess. The sheer volume of traffic y'all get would probably find a way to make it worth my while, as I missed almost every arrival where I was there (runway changes, and a dying camera).

I'll keep y'all posted.

Nick