PDA

View Full Version : JFK's Rwy 22L on local news

Speedbird1
2012-02-28, 10:29 AM
Evidently, residents under the arrival path of Rwy 22L are up-in-arms. They claim that JFK has been using the arrival path over their homes all night long. They were supposed to meet with the FAA yesterday to discuss the problem. I am envious. I would love to live near the arrival path but maybe not all night long. I thought there was a ban on 22L arrivals at night unless the winds were gutsy or when Rwy 31L was closed, last year. I think this report was on WCBS-TV.

NIKV69
2012-02-28, 10:56 AM
Those people have it easy. They wouldn't last a night under the active in Bullhead. When those G4 mad dogs rotate over the houses it's like an earthquake. Deal with it or don't buy under an active approach.

gonzalu
2012-02-28, 12:35 PM
I must say, I live under one of the approaches and departures for KLGA and there are times when I swear the plane will land in my living room. Not really disturbing, just noticeable. I can understand especially those who live in those houses around Brookville and The Mounds.

But, as Nick said, why buy there after seeing just ONE 777-300 100-200 feet above your house? If you can't afford anything else, well, that's just luck of the draw but I think there are MANY MANY choices

megatop412
2012-02-28, 01:00 PM
Wasn't this already on the news about 4 or so months ago and we all said the same things we're saying now- is there a reason it came back up in the news again?

Same old same old, if you want the airport to be convenient you have to deal with the proximity etc etc

eric8669
2012-02-28, 01:10 PM
There was meeting at garden city library last night to discuss the topic

AA 777
2012-02-28, 05:46 PM
There was meeting at garden city library last night to discuss the topic

Garden City would have a meeting about it....

Even more disturbing is that in Garden City the arrivals are still decently high (2000-3000'). I have zero (0) patience for this kind of nonsense.

lijk604
2012-02-28, 05:47 PM
Has nothing to do with the SSW winds we experienced late last week gusting 20-30 kts. :rolleyes:

What a bunch of tools, wasting more legislators time over something the airport cannot control. Now, if the winds were calm and they used the 22's all night that's one thing. But this was a weather related incident. Please people, go on wih your lives.

Gerard
2012-02-28, 07:19 PM
Has nothing to do with the SSW winds we experienced late last week gusting 20-30 kts. :rolleyes:
What a bunch of tools, wasting more legislators time over something the airport cannot control. Now, if the winds were calm and they used the 22's all night that's one thing. But this was a weather related incident. Please people, go on wih your lives.

I get the 22s by me all the time in Eastern Nassau. Last Friday night as the storm passed it was around 8PM and they were coming over fast and furious. I went out to the front of my house around 830 and watched as they came in from the east and were now flying along the north shore. Boy I swear they seemed like they were 3/4 minutes behind each other. I counted about 6 or 7 in that time. Very cool.:cool:

PhilDernerJr
2012-02-28, 07:20 PM
I really want to show up to one of these.

AirtrafficController
2012-02-28, 07:42 PM
Besides the winds, the 22s have been used more frequently during the late night because runway 13R/31L was closed numerous nights for the past several weeks. The PANYNJ is currently doing a rehabilitation on taxiway Papa. The project will be completed just before April 15.

NIKV69
2012-02-28, 07:56 PM
I really want to show up to one of these.

Go Phil!

I liken these people to the people who by houses on golf courses and get mad when a golf ball hits it or takes out a window. HELLO! Do you think every person playing golf can hit the ball straight!?

RDU-JFK
2012-02-28, 08:22 PM
Go Phil!

I liken these people to the people who by houses on golf courses and get mad when a golf ball hits it or takes out a window. HELLO! Do you think every person playing golf can hit the ball straight!?

Hate to get off topic but my former company out here in CA hosted a golf event at a local country club and one of the guests hit an errant golf ball that hit a gardner at a neighboring house on the head. The gardener is suing the guest, the club, and my former company.

I second the motion to have some pro-aviation representation at these discussions. Do they ever have neighbors arguing in favor of the airport at these things?

PhilDernerJr
2012-02-28, 08:36 PM
I knew about that meeting but couldn't make it due to work. I plan on putting together some stats and info....then showing up and sharing my thoughts.

NIKV69
2012-02-28, 09:05 PM
Hate to get off topic but my former company out here in CA hosted a golf event at a local country club and one of the guests hit an errant golf ball that hit a gardner at a neighboring house on the head. The gardener is suing the guest, the club, and my former company.

Was the house on the course? We had a similar case at a club I worked at where the house was built off the property after the club was established. We won. Court ruled since we built a fence as high as the town would allow we couldn't do any more. Especially since the course is easily visable to prospective home owners. Them golf balls have a way of going any which way. Depends on the situation but you have to prove negligence to some degree.

jlaico1
2012-03-01, 09:04 PM
My son would be mad if they did not fly over the house at night.

He does not sleep any other way.

Give the airplanes a kiss good night!

Delta777LR
2012-03-01, 11:30 PM
I must say, I live under one of the approaches and departures for KLGA and there are times when I swear the plane will land in my living room.

Funny you say that, when I lived in the Bronx in Throggs Neck, I had the flightpath right there for 22. I did much shooting from there especialy from Soundview by Leland Avenue by the bikeway..

gpalz1
2012-03-09, 01:43 PM
I happen to live under the 22R approach. I don't find it that bothersome, but the only time I get a little nervous is at night when the weather is bad with a low cloud ceiling. You can't see the planes, but they sound lower and the engines become louder as if the pilots are throttling the engines for more power. It can be a little frightening where you almost think the worst is about to happen.

George

Screaming_Emu
2012-03-11, 08:15 PM
I must say, I live under one of the approaches and departures for KLGA and there are times when I swear the plane will land in my living room. Not really disturbing, just noticeable. I can understand especially those who live in those houses around Brookville and The Mounds.

But, as Nick said, why buy there after seeing just ONE 777-300 100-200 feet above your house? If you can't afford anything else, well, that's just luck of the draw but I think there are MANY MANY choices

No kidding, when I land on runway 4 in LGA I always feel like I'm landing in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn.

viapanam
2012-03-13, 09:58 PM
I completely would love to live there ... not only the views and noise but the smell of Av-gas. I guess that is what makes us who are.