PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Article about Photography of a Transportation Depot

Dabbey
2012-02-09, 09:35 PM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/ The Article is from 02/07/12 and titled" A Depot and a Fight to Photograph the City

Please pass this on to anyone who may be interested. How does this apply on Port Authority Property? Is that considered "public property"?

I don't know if you need to log in to view the text of this. If you have any trouble, I can copy and paste the text here.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/the-bus-depot-the-m-t-a-doesnt-want-you-to-see-or-does-it/

David Abbey

Matt Molnar
2012-02-10, 03:37 PM
Port Authority grounds are technically private property, the argument being that the PA is a self-funded entity that does not receive tax dollars, unlike the MTA. They can legally tell you to stop photographing while on PA property and have you arrested if you don't comply, though I don't know of any instances where this has happened.

gonzalu
2012-02-10, 03:46 PM
But certainly NOT if you're across a public street on a public conveyance (sidewalk) etc. etc. :-)

steve1840
2012-02-10, 04:04 PM
But certainly NOT if you're across a public street on a public conveyance (sidewalk) etc. etc. :-)

Does that include standing on the side of the Van Wyck or JFK Expressway snapping a photo of a plane overhead, or do those roadways stop being a public street once they cross onto JFK grounds?

gonzalu
2012-02-10, 04:32 PM
JFK Expressway should be a public conveyance. The problem is that you are probably going to be asked to move for obstruction of traffic etc. But taking pictures [from] there should not be [the] problem :-) How you get to the spot? If by car, you must keep moving. If you stop to take the pictures, you will be asked to move not for picture taking but because you stopped on a highway and are likely endangering others or the like. The picture taking is usually not the problem itself is the activity around it. At JFK the trespassing is the issue, not the pictures. They actually have no issues with the pictures officially, it is the access and trespassing they get you with.

The problem will be the challenge and do you want to go through the hassle. So let's say you walked from Jamaica and somehow you end up on the JFK Exp. on foot and are simply on the side of the road under 13L taking pictures. You will be immediately suspicious to someone, with reasonable reason. You will likely be approached very quickly and probably treated not so politely... wrong, but it will happen. If you insist, you will be removed somehow, regardless of your rights or legality or what not. The idea is to remove you first, regardless of rules, laws etc. I think it is a good call on the part of the law enforcement officers because frankly, who are you at this point? In the end, you will most likely be let go with a stern warning, a serious argument and all sorts of angry looks, lots of cursing at you etc. but not charged with a single thing related to your taking of pictures of 13L arrivals from that spot. You will NOT be charged with trespassing since you crossed over no fences or gates and have as much freedom to get to that spot on foot as you do in a car.

EVEN IF YOU DO go into one of the restricted areas like the parking lots or the terminals, the worse that can will likely happen is you being asked to leave in a very serious way and your refusal will land you in the can... maybe not arrested or charged, but they will take you forcibly away :-)

Zee71
2012-02-10, 04:38 PM
Port Authority grounds are technically private property, the argument being that the PA is a self-funded entity that does not receive tax dollars, unlike the MTA.

Yes..........a self-funded agency that rips off the public by increasing bridge tolls and wastes millions of dollars. If the agency gets some of their funding from the public (bridge tolls), why isn't that considered about public funded entity? Airports, to me equate to public! The flying public pays, also shouldn't that be considered as being a public fund. It all depends on how one twists the words around (just like lawyers).

megatop412
2012-02-10, 05:56 PM
Didn't I just read a couple days ago that there was a 'scathing' report released after an internal audit of the PA, that actually said the Port is a DYSFUNCTIONAL agency in which most of its workers are overpaid?

Gerard
2012-02-11, 12:42 PM
Didn't I just read a couple days ago that there was a 'scathing' report released after an internal audit of the PA, that actually said the Port is a DYSFUNCTIONAL agency in which most of its workers are overpaid?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/audit-port-authority-dysfunctional-wtc-20120207-apx Yup....

PhilDernerJr
2012-02-11, 01:20 PM
JFK Expressway is I-878....interstate roadway that receives federal funding. It's about as public as it can get. In fact, it is the shortest interstate in the country ad like 6 miles or something.

If it had sidewalks....I've be spotting on it. :)

markg
2012-02-16, 03:17 PM
As it's an interstate are pedestrians not banned anyway?

Gerard
2012-02-16, 07:23 PM
As it's an interstate are pedestrians not banned anyway?

He's not a pedestrian, he's a spotter!!:rolleyes::smile: