PDA

View Full Version : TSA - Robs $5,000 from passenger

Zee71
2012-02-02, 02:27 PM
Saw this story on ABC: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8528737

TSA is here to protect you and rob you blind!

And they worry about spotters......when was the last time you saw a spotter rob you blind?

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 02:45 PM
Every agency has bad apples. Police, Fireman commit crimes too. Your beef is probably more with PA than TSA. Unless of course you are stupid enough to leave that much cash in your jacket.

Zee71
2012-02-02, 05:55 PM
No beef with the PA, and it's probably one bad apple in the Big Apple! By the way, $5,000 would be a partial payment for a nice 500mm or 600mm lens.

megatop412
2012-02-02, 06:07 PM
You really have your eye on those supertelephotos, don't you Mark:biggrin:

My money's on you getting one or the other by Jones Beach in May

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 06:19 PM
No beef with the PA, and it's probably one bad apple in the Big Apple! By the way, $5,000 would be a partial payment for a nice 500mm or 600mm lens.

Nahh D4!

Zee71
2012-02-02, 06:44 PM
It's all about the glass!!! Although the D4 doesn't sound bad either. Hey brother............can you spare a few grand???

Cary
2012-02-02, 07:31 PM
Wait, so everyone's giving Phil Mocek a hard time for not showing his ID, talking about how much of a security risk that is, and airplanes going down, then downplaying yet another TSA theft as a bad apple? If some TSA employees are concentrating more on how to steal your possessions, than actually checking for weapons/explosives/contraband/etc., isn't that a huge security risk? And if these are just the employees getting caught, chances are there are more not getting caught. Just saying.

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 07:41 PM
Wait, so everyone's giving Phil Mocek a hard time for not showing his ID, talking about how much of a security risk that, and airplanes going down, then downplaying yet another TSA theft as a bad apple? If some TSA employees are concentrating more on how to steal your possessions, than actually checking for weapons/explosives/contraband/etc., isn't that a huge security risk? And if these are just the employees getting caught, chances are there are more not getting caught. Just saying.

Like, +1, re-tweet!

hhehehe, good one Cary, good one.

Matt Molnar
2012-02-02, 07:51 PM
Also last night, same terminal, the daughter of a former Israeli defense minister was arrested on a Florida drug warrant.

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 08:03 PM
then downplaying yet another TSA theft as a bad apple?

How did I downplay it? What are we supposed to do get rid of the TSA now because some of their employees are opportunistic thieves? Like I have asked countless times to all the TSA haters. Give me a better alternative that gets the same results in air safety that can be implemented and I am all for it. I haven't heard any.

If some TSA employees are concentrating more on how to steal your possessions, than actually checking for weapons/explosives/contraband/etc., isn't that a huge security risk?

He was looking for weapons and contraband how do you think he found the money? Osmosis? TSA agents don't have to concentrate on ways to steal out stuff. It's right in front of them.

And if these are just the employees getting caught, chances are there are more not getting caught. Just saying.

Any agency or company with easy access to potential stuff to steal , TSA, Police, UPS, baggage handlers etc have a small % of people who steal . Only since you hate the TSA now all of a sudden they are lax in doing their job as a whole if a bad apple partakes in the crime? So by your reasoning if a police officer or UPS driver is found to be stealing the whole agency or company is rendered useless?

Sounds amazingily short sighted. Just saying...

It's all about the glass!!! Although the D4 doesn't sound bad either. Hey brother............can you spare a few grand???

True, If I had 5k I may make manny an offer for his 200-400 but that D4 looks sweet.

Cary
2012-02-02, 08:31 PM
How did I downplay it? What are we supposed to do get rid of the TSA now because some of their employees are opportunistic thieves? Like I have asked countless times to all the TSA haters. Give me a better alternative that gets the same results in air safety that can be implemented and I am all for it. I haven't heard any.

You just dismissed it as HER being a bad apple, then blamed the Pakistani guy for leaving the money in his coat. I didn't say anything about getting rid of the TSA. Where did you get that assumption from?

He was looking for weapons and contraband how do you think he found the money? Osmosis? TSA agents don't have to concentrate on ways to steal out stuff. It's right in front of them.

She put it in a plastic glove and took it to a bathroom. You don't think that required any thought?

Any agency or company with easy access to potential stuff to steal , TSA, Police, UPS, baggage handlers etc have a small % of people who steal . Only since you hate the TSA now all of a sudden they are lax in doing their job as a whole if a bad apple partakes in the crime? So by your reasoning if a police officer or UPS driver is found to be stealing the whole agency or company is rendered useless?

Sounds amazingily short sighted. Just saying...

I hate the TSA?? Really? I didn't say the TSA was useless because of a few bad apples. But if you or others are concerned about people getting on a flight without ID, you should be equally concerned with some TSA employees who seem to be more interested in stealing than protecting your flight. At what point are the bad apples providing security for your flight when they are busy putting money in gloves and running off to the bathroom? That's all I'm saying.

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 08:52 PM
You just dismissed it as HER being a bad apple, then blamed the Pakistani guy for leaving the money in his coat. I didn't say anything about getting rid of the TSA. Where did you get that assumption from?

I didn't dismiss anything. She committed a crime and should be put in jail. We know this. You are inferring that an isolated theft translates into total lack of respect and faith in the TSA. It's not hard to see.

She put it in a plastic glove and took it to a bathroom. You don't think that required any thought?

Now you are spinning and running away from your prior statement. You once again inferred that since an agent was caught stealing something she came across in her normal duties of searching bags and garments going through a checkpoint that she is totally igoring her duties thinking of ways to rip people off. Which of course is false since TSA theft is a direct result of them doing their duties in screening.

I hate the TSA?? Really? I didn't say the TSA was useless because of a few bad apples.

Could have fooled me.

But if you or others are concerned about people getting on a flight without ID, you should be equally concerned with some TSA employees who seem to be more interested in stealing than protecting your flight

I am concerned but what do we do? You still seem to be using a passive aggressive false scenario here. I doubt TSA is more concerned with finding 5k in a jacket than stopping contraband from getting on a plane. These crimes by the TSA are crimes of opportunity not pre-planned. Do UPS drivers that steal take the job because they love to steal and want to build up their bank account by theft? Of course not. This is lunacy.

I also fail to see how Mr. Mocek has anything to do with this. Unless of course you loathe the TSA which is very obvious here. What next? I hope you don't agree with his idea of teaching all air travelers to fight so they can engage a hijacker in flight as an alternative to the TSA. I mean that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted here.

Cary
2012-02-02, 09:01 PM
I didn't dismiss anything. She committed a crime and should be put in jail. We know this. You are inferring that an isolated theft translates into total lack of respect and faith in the TSA. It's not hard to see.

Now you are spinning and running away from your prior statement. You once again inferred that since an agent was caught stealing something she came across in her normal duties of searching bags and garments going through a checkpoint that she is totally igoring her duties thinking of ways to rip people off. Which of course is false since TSA theft is a direct result of them doing their duties in screening.

Could have fooled me.

I am concerned but what do we do? You still seem to be using a passive aggressive false scenario here. I doubt TSA is more concerned with finding 5k in a jacket than stopping contraband from getting on a plane. These crimes by the TSA are crimes of opportunity not pre-planned. Do UPS drivers that steal take the job because they love to steal and want to build up their bank account by theft? Of course not. This is lunacy.

I also fail to see how Mr. Mocek has anything to do with this. Unless of course you loathe the TSA which is very obvious here. What next? I hope you don't agree with his idea of teaching all air travelers to fight so they can engage a hijacker in flight as an alternative to the TSA. I mean that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted here.

Your response is so ridiculous, I give up. For the king of inferences, you sure think I inferred a lot.

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 09:14 PM
Your response is so ridiculous, I give up. For the king of inferences, you sure think I inferred a lot.

Just going by what you posted. Mark opened the door and you walked in to sound the alarm on how the TSA is a band of rogue thieves more interested in stealing than screening from a few isolated incidents then tried to backtrack with a standard (just saying). I gave you the opportunity to clarify and you turned it around to make it be that I am not concerned about theft which is of course is off the wall. As was Mr. Mocek's behavior and inference that we can have safe skies by simply letting people waltz into airports without having to identify ourselves or commit to a pat down or more screening since we don't have ID. Then saying make cockpit doors stronger and teach passengers to engage in hand to hand combat. (sorry but I get such a hearty laugh from that one)

Again if I am mistaken and you merely have concerns about the TSA fine but me thinks we are going down the usual road here when it comes to this topic.

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 09:39 PM

OK Nick, how about no ID. Just a metal detector, and NOTHING on board the main cabin but the person and their clothes. NOTHING carry on. All checked luggage goes through MRI or CT. Would that work for you? I don;t care if it is the TSA or the NSA... no background checks, no nothing just strict checks of the person and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING but real cotton or polyester and human flesh gets on board the cabin. Security will not interact with the passengers in any way other than screening. No ID checks, nothing but the ticket saying you paid to get on the plane. I'd pass a law that says there is NO communication between the checker and the checkee ROTFL.

True, If I had 5k I may make Manny an offer for his 200-400 but that D4 looks sweet.

NOW you're talking my game. Nick, I require no ID... American Express (and by that I mean, American money, on the spot (express)), and we do business. Got I love Craig's List. I have never given a care about the guy or girl handing me the cash for my goods... ain't it pretty? And no thanks, I don't need TSA to protect me, I can protect myself just fine, thank you very much :P

Oh and one more thing, the BEST way to stop the terrorism fears is to STOP PI**ING PEOPLE OFF!!! Nick, wouldn't you agree that the reason this whole hatred thing started is because we pi**ed off some people really badly. I am sorry to say but, I have not heard of much crime of any kind, including terrorism, in Tonga! If we mind our own business, I am just saying, we may not be in this predicament. I believe they are winning any time you and I are arguing about our freedoms and why we must give them up... As my friend says: 'Jessuchrist!'

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 09:52 PM

[While] stealing [doing] her duties, as soon as she [steals] she could [miss] the bomb [next] to the money. If bad guy realizes this, bad guy continues to see the group, yes the whole bag of apples, as a soft target, not professional. The one bad apple as you put it can ruin the whole batch simply by pointing out that it is vulnerable to one bad apple [being] bad.

Best security in the world? Nick, you;re gonna love this: Vegas... and you will NOT disagree with me.

Actually, I say let the Mob handle it. Oh man, one stupid idiot gets out of hand and until the END OF THE EARTH that mutha will be found and given a real proper dismissal :tongue:

Nick, the entire agency is either professional or not. And you well know they don;t look that professional all the time everywhere... I have actually never felt that way. I have that sense when I enter any building in the Diamond District. THAT is pro and serious security. I don;t even remember ever having much conversation to be honest but I do feel safe that I am not going to be messing with those folks. Same goes for Vegas. I don;t know, I get a real sense of fear that messing with those folks will be really troublesome to me. And I have seen little to ZERO security in Vegas ... I know absolutely they are there but talk about an industry with lots to lose. Heck I say if anyone should demand ID is them LOL.

Get back to the point Nick. YOU spun this out of control. I never ever heard anyone refer to the TSA in general from Mr Mocek to anyone associated with the case. As a matter of fact, a TSA agent started the whole thing. And that's the point. If TSA is a professional well run agency, they would know the law and if it is NOT REQUIRED to show ID, they can ask and when someone does not produce it, let them be... plain and simple. All would have been fine. TSA agents have a beef and that's a problem. Period. That's [my] opinion. EVERY TIME I have flown since TSA has been in place, I have felt intimidated by ALL the agents I have had contact with...ALL! Sorry ems, you're a cool guy and I know you're probably OK but I have never gone through your post :-/

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 09:56 PM
Just going by what you posted. Mark opened the door and you walked in to sound the alarm on how the TSA is a band of rogue thieves more interested in stealing than screening from a few isolated incidents then tried to backtrack with a standard (just saying). I gave you the opportunity to clarify and you turned it around to make it be that I am not concerned about theft which is of course is off the wall. As was Mr. Mocek's behavior and inference that we can have safe skies by simply letting people waltz into airports without having to identify ourselves or commit to a pat down or more screening since we don't have ID. Then saying make cockpit doors stronger and teach passengers to engage in hand to hand combat. (sorry but I get such a hearty laugh from that one)

Again if I am mistaken and you merely have concerns about the TSA fine but me thinks we are going down the usual road here when it comes to this topic.

Nick, an ID does not make the waltzing people a bunch of tight laced accountants! Jesus! Get over it, ID is not the answer... that's the point. We all want security. If you want to stop this stupid back and forth make it the law... I am sure no matter what anybody likes or doesn;t, the minute it is law, it is mum. The argument has always been is ID required or not. No one gives a damn what you or I believe or don;t... this has always been about is it legally required or not.. .end of story... let's answer that. Stop asking your question (which by the wway, I wanna go on record that I was the first to directly answer you, ha!) and let's first have you answer the first question:

--Am I required by law to present ID at a TSA checkpoint when boarding or attempting to board a plane with a valid boarding ticket/pass? Any law?

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 10:00 PM
OK Nick, how about no ID. Just a metal detector, and NOTHING on board the main cabin but the person and their clothes. NOTHING carry on. All checked luggage goes through MRI or CT. Would that work for you? I don;t care if it is the TSA or the NSA... no background checks, no nothing just strict checks of the person and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING but real cotton or polyester and human flesh gets on board the cabin. Security will not interact with the passengers in any way other than screening. No ID checks, nothing but the ticket saying you paid to get on the plane. I'd pass a law that says there is NO communication between the checker and the checkee ROTFL.

I said something that can be implemented, this has as much chance as Ron Paul becoming president.

NOW you're talking my game. Nick, I require no ID... American Express (and by that I mean, American money, on the spot (express)), and we do business. Got I love Craig's List. I have never given a care about the guy or girl handing me the cash for my goods... ain't it pretty? And no thanks, I don't need TSA to protect me, I can protect myself just fine, thank you very much :P

Cash for your goods? I am stopping right there.

Oh and one more thing, the BEST way to stop the terrorism fears is to STOP PI**ING PEOPLE OFF!!! Nick, wouldn't you agree that the reason this whole hatred thing started is because we pi**ed off some people really badly. I am sorry to say but, I have not heard of much crime of any kind, including terrorism, in Tonga! If we mind our own business, I am just saying, we may not be in this predicament. I believe they are winning any time you and I are arguing about our freedoms and why we must give them up... As my friend says: 'Jessuchrist!'

Tonga? Sure we can be like them but we have allies. Like Israel. They are our allies and you don't turn your back on your friends. Especially when the people that want us to stop supporting them want to kill them. If we took your advice back in WWII we would all be speaking German right now.

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 10:10 PM
Tonga? Sure we can be like them but we have allies. Like Israel. They are our allies and you don't turn your back on your friends. Especially when the people that want us to stop supporting them want to kill them. If we took your advice back in WWII we would all be speaking German right now.

You think this is about Israel? Come on Nick, we all want $0.99 cents per gal of regular gas... That's for one. And if you think Israel needs us? You're smoking. I rather be protected by them ROTFL. Israel has ba**s the size of M1 tanks... hehehe, I never worry about them, they can take care of themselves... I don't mind one bit being their friend and standing with them. Although it makes for good distraction, don't fool yourself or let yourself be fooled. There is a lot more deep seated hatred not related to Israel... Afghanistan is one good example... I ask you to consider putting your Right Wing weapons down for just a moment and openly discuss ideas without prejudice of any sort.

And what does WWI and my advice have in common? Can you pint it out? If I remember correctly, we ENTERED the war officially because of Pearl Harbor, not the Germans. We helped the Brits plenty without "getting involved" :-) Do you think the U-boats in the Atlantic were an accident? ha!!

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 10:24 PM
... If we took your advice back in WWII we would all be speaking German right now.

Oooh, I forgot... Don;t discriminate, or else I will accuse you of more stuff :tongue: We could have also been speaking Italian or Japanese!

NIKV69
2012-02-02, 10:30 PM
Afghanistan is one good example... I ask you to consider putting your Right Wing weapons down for just a moment and openly discuss ideas without prejudice of any sort.

It sure is. Though it's not the Republican party of the US who is killing people in Afghanistan. This isn't about prejudice it's tribal and it's a fight between letting people pick their leaders or letting radicals govern using their interpretation of Islam. You know that kind that makes it right to beat women and make sure they don't leave the house?

gonzalu
2012-02-02, 10:57 PM
But Nick, that's their prerogative. I don't remember where the US got the pass that said you can do whatever you like around the globe for free. We can and should do all we can for civil rights and liberties. Mr Mocek was indeed testing that with his incident. Imagine that... you just justified the very main point Mr. Mocek is trying to prove. The SAME precedence you offer for us getting involved in other country's issues when they conflict with ours (even if you think our beliefs are the right ones and theirs the wrong ones, it does not give us any rights to invade or coerce another country "just because" we feel like it) is the one you must use when someone feels like making sure our laws are what they are on paper in real life. You can't simply apply freedoms and rights when they are convenient... indeed you must SUPPORT and DEFEND all the rights we are afforded, like Mr. Mocek's right to test the law as he sees fit. When time comes for you to stand in front of a judge for something you consider just and legal yet are charged for it as a violation of some law(s) you should expect the same freedom to be tried and found either guilty or innocent. I believe Mr Mocek never made any complaints about his night in jail, how his rights of due process were violated or otherwise. It seems he was OK with the system that processed and tried and acquitted him. So I believe there is a singular purpose here and I don't find it wildly obtuse at all. I will continue to show my ID if asked and I will continue to learn about the law. I thank Phil Mocek for one thing: I had NO CLUE that it was not required by law to show ID to a government agency to prove your identity. Although as I read more, it has still not been tested in the Supreme Court?