PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Airshow questions

steve1840
2011-11-14, 09:27 AM
Hey guys,

I just started looking into the 2012 airshow schedule and need some help deciding. For the upcoming year I want to make it to a few more shows than I did this past year. Most of the shows I plan on attending will be local (New England-Mid Atlantic) since money looks as though it will be a little tight. I do however want to make one trip out of the area to a good show. Right now I would like to make this trip around March. Looking at the schedule El Centro falls in this timeframe.

I'm hoping that anyone who has gone to this show can provide me with any info good or bad. Is it worth flying out for? How is the view/light for photogs NOT holding credentials?

I was also concidering Thunder Over Utah which is a week after El Centro, and also has the Blue Angels performing.

Thoughts???

gonzalu
2011-11-16, 01:13 AM
Close to SD, the El Centro show is just great. It is usually the Blue Angels opening performance each year. Chino (I love warbirds and this makes it one of the very best airshows in the world if you love warbirds!!!!) and MCAS Yuma (In Arizona) are terrific as well... Pt. Mugu is got killer light (and very humid air means lots of vapes) and I am a HUGE fan of the Van Nuys airshow where the B-52 wings one year felt like they would decapitate me at the fence!! However, I have heard this show has been permanently closed :-( Is that true? Anyone with better info? If open, it could be terrific... but maybe dull nowadays.

Zee71
2011-11-16, 10:35 AM
Great info Sir! I'm hoping to make it to Oceana for 2012 (the weather was very disappointing this year).

Derf
2011-11-16, 12:08 PM
Great info Sir! I'm hoping to make it to Oceana for 2012 (the weather was very disappointing this year).

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/Aviation/Oceana-NAS-2011/i-bVwdRvb/0/L/IMG1331-L.jpg

gonzalu
2011-11-16, 06:57 PM
Yeah but Fred, imagine that shot with Blue Skies!! :cool:

Steven Holzinger
2011-11-16, 07:59 PM
Ask again in mid December :-)

Gerard
2011-11-16, 08:40 PM
Jones Beach sure making up for last year with the Angels & Snowbirds. :biggrin:
But what intrigues me are the "Hudson River, War of 1812" dates May 21-23 for the Angels. :confused:
Anyone can clue me (us) in?

moose135
2011-11-16, 09:13 PM
No details yet, Gerard, but next year is the bicentennial of the War of 1812. The Blues apparently will be commemorating the great air battles of that war.

Derf
2011-11-16, 09:13 PM
yes but then I would have to kill you :cool:

fk6065
2011-11-16, 09:51 PM
Jones Beach sure making up for last year with the Angels & Snowbirds. :biggrin:
But what intrigues me are the "Hudson River, War of 1812" dates May 21-23 for the Angels. :confused:
Anyone can clue me (us) in?

It seems to be coinciding with Fleet Week. Here is a link with more info, a lot to go through but has some info

http://www.navy.mil/navco/CFA/07%20BURNS%20Calendar%20For%20America%202010.pdf

I am guessing the Blues will be making various flyoves while in the area for the Jones Beach Show. Maybe we will have them for a few extra days.

Gerard
2011-11-16, 11:27 PM
The Blues apparently will be commemorating the great air battles of that war.

LMAO I think I missed those in history class. :eek:
But imagine if the Blues went back in time........................:tongue:

Gerard
2011-11-16, 11:29 PM
It seems to be coinciding with Fleet Week. Here is a link with more info, a lot to go through but has some info
http://www.navy.mil/navco/CFA/07%20BURNS%20Calendar%20For%20America%202010.pdf
I am guessing the Blues will be making various flyoves while in the area for the Jones Beach Show. Maybe we will have them for a few extra days.

Thanks for that. It was a LOT but it looks like we might have some interesting stuff going on here in May. Something to warm our aviation loving hearts as we head into the chill
of winter!! :smile:

gonzalu
2011-11-17, 08:58 AM
LMAO I think I missed those in history class. :eek:
But imagine if the Blues went back in time........................:tongue:

"The Final, FINAL, Countdown" :tongue:

fk6065
2011-11-17, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that. It was a LOT but it looks like we might have some interesting stuff going on here in May. Something to warm our aviation loving hearts as we head into the chill
of winter!! :smile:

Hopefully it will be better than the "Centenial of Naval Aviation" last year.

eric8669
2011-11-17, 04:45 PM
"The Final, FINAL, Countdown" :tongue:

Love that movie.

chrisparypa
2011-11-17, 08:39 PM
Ask after ICAS PLEASE ! don't make any plans now :) there is no schedules and dates are not approved yet and dates you see right now can change !
I will be mroe than happy to provide a lot of information about Air Show but after ICAS which is middle December or so :)

steve1840
2011-11-18, 09:16 AM
Ask after ICAS PLEASE ! don't make any plans now :) there is no schedules and dates are not approved yet and dates you see right now can change !
I will be mroe than happy to provide a lot of information about Air Show but after ICAS which is middle December or so :)

Ah man, I hope El Centro doesn't change......I booked my flights yesterday morning. Definitely a rookie! :tongue: