PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4s thus far.....thoughts and questions after 2+ weeks of use.

mirrodie
2011-11-02, 01:19 PM
So I went from an 84 Buick to a 2012 Ferrari overnight in terms of phone tech.

But first, Im my THIRD iPhone, partially, I admit, due to KHARMA!

I pre-ordered and got my first phone, new customer to Verizon, from the Verizon store.
It came with a cracked camera lens that I saw on it. After 2 hours of arguing and dealing with the DISTRICT MANAGER of Verizon, they exchanged it and mailed me another phone.

2nd phone came in, looked fine, but hte volume would automatically raised itself randomly. Made for some spookiness on Halloween. Apple changed it on the spot.

I've had the 3rd phone now since Halloween, 9pm. So far so good.

Siri- it HAS been learning how I say things over time. Initially, it would not even recognize my name without sounding like a California surfer. its improving. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Siri in that I was never into texting. Now I just tell Siri to send texts as well as answer my emails!

Apps- I have several dozen, all of them free. I have to say, if you're not careful, most of them are just time wasters(games) or gimmicky. The more useful ones include those on real estate/finance, language translation and speed traps.

videos- Takes decent videos and photos but not a PnS replacement due to digital zoom. But nice if you want to babysit the kids for brief moments in time.

Question:

I've looked at the older threads on apps....there were 2 thus far, suggesting what apps to have but may i ask,

What are some apps that you feel are actually worth paying for?

I am thinking about a fligth sim one. And I see there is xplane. Any suggestions?

Zee71
2011-11-02, 01:53 PM
I just ordered my i4s, which will be an upgrade from my current Blackberry Storm 2. So, with 2 - 3 week's we'll see what this puppy can do! As far as apps, I'm looking for recommendations as well.

steve1840
2011-11-02, 02:00 PM
I myself am still on the fence as far as what I am going to choose as an upgrade as my contract is up in January. I currently have the iPhone 3Gs, but have recently become deissatisfied with it. I'm sure it has something to do with upgrading to the 4.0 software, but I am still unsettled. Right now I am still concidering the i4s, but at the same time concidering going back to Android.

I hope to hear some reviews of the new iPhone before making my decision.

ANITIX87
2011-11-02, 03:22 PM
...but at the same time concidering going back to Android.
Go with Android. As I've said for years, if you're even a little bit tech-savvy, iOS is way too simple and limiting. Android phones are much more powerful, have much more customization, a more intuitive interface (once you familiarize yourself), and there are more hardware options. iPhones are far easier to use out-of-the-box but once you've used it for a couple of weeks, you'll have exploted all its possibilities. I've had my Android phone for 11 months and I still learn something new about its capabilities every single day. With a little bit of customization and technological know-how, I'm running 3 days on a single battery charge, piggy-backing off free data and wi-fi, and running Apple Store apps that shouldn't be available to me. And I'm still under warranty. The same things done to an iPhone would void its warranty.

Now, before someone calls me anti-Apple, I own only Apple computers (iMac and Macbook Pro), have only used iPods for music, and I have an iPad (first-generation) so I'm extremely familiar with iOS and Apple products in general. But I'll still recommend Android to anyone and everyone who has a little bit of tech know-how.

TIS

puckstopper55
2011-11-03, 01:02 PM
I just ordered my i4s, which will be an upgrade from my current Blackberry Storm 2. So, with 2 - 3 week's we'll see what this puppy can do! As far as apps, I'm looking for recommendations as well.

I am in the same boat, only my contract expired in September. I was going to get the 4s, but rumors have the iPhone 5 coming out next spring, and if it follows the trend of the past iPhones, it will be a brand new phone. The 3Gs (what I have now) is a slightly better version of the 3G and same goes for the 4s over the 4.

steve1840
2011-11-03, 01:18 PM
Go with Android. As I've said for years, if you're even a little bit tech-savvy, iOS is way too simple and limiting. Android phones are much more powerful, have much more customization, a more intuitive interface (once you familiarize yourself), and there are more hardware options. iPhones are far easier to use out-of-the-box but once you've used it for a couple of weeks, you'll have exploted all its possibilities. I've had my Android phone for 11 months and I still learn something new about its capabilities every single day. With a little bit of customization and technological know-how, I'm running 3 days on a single battery charge, piggy-backing off free data and wi-fi, and running Apple Store apps that shouldn't be available to me. And I'm still under warranty. The same things done to an iPhone would void its warranty.

Now, before someone calls me anti-Apple, I own only Apple computers (iMac and Macbook Pro), have only used iPods for music, and I have an iPad (first-generation) so I'm extremely familiar with iOS and Apple products in general. But I'll still recommend Android to anyone and everyone who has a little bit of tech know-how.

TIS

Thanks for the insight Tis.

mirrodie
2011-11-03, 01:45 PM
Android phones are much more powerful, have much more customization, a more intuitive interface (once you familiarize yourself), and there are more hardware option

TIS

I can appreciate your insight. But this is my first smartphone and since my old phone was literally falling apart and our of contract, the timing was just easy for me.

At this point in my life though, it'll take easy.
I'm blessed with a family that I am totally devoted to and also a busy practice. Just wont want to sacrifice my time for a phone at this stage of my life.

Some of the younger, single, childless folks in my family are big into their Androids and all the stuff they can do. Suffice to say, it suits their needs.

Thats not to say I ahve not though about jailbreaking my phone, but honestly, I have no reason to aside from telling others that I was a jailbreaker! LOL

To bring this back on topic, are there an apps out there that some feel are worth spending for?

NIKV69
2011-11-03, 02:17 PM
So I went from an 84 Buick to a 2012 Ferrari overnight in terms of phone tech.

You can say that again!

I'm with Tis. Apple sells products for people who want something out of the box they can exchange in 8 months for the "new thing" If you want to spend money that is fine but I love android. It does everything I need. Didn't cost me anything and I also refuse to pay for apps. I got the essentials like FB, tweetcaster etc with the phone and use the free versions of things like gasbuddy, planefinder etc.

mirrodie
2011-11-03, 04:31 PM
Nick, consider this:

-I pre-ordered, got my first smartphone, new customer to Verizon brick and mortar store.
It came with a cracked camera lens. After 2 hours of dealing with first the Ass.t Store manager, who tried to blow to off to the Apple Store, then finally with the DISTRICT MANAGER of Verizon, they exchanged it and mailed me another phone.

-2nd phone came in, looked fine, but the volume would automatically raised itself randomly ( BTW, all your nutjobs who made fun of me old school phone, damn you!!! I really dont need this hassle...Can you now see why that Reagan era phone was so treasured?!). Made for some spookiness on Halloween. This time I went to Apple since Verizon was so intrusive the first time. It was changed it on the spot.

-I've had the 3rd phone now since Halloween, 9pm. So far so good.

I just feel more comfortable knowing that if I have a problem, I can hit the Apple store. Had I gotten an Android, Verizon would have just put me through the ringer with no alternative. Its not that I like spending the money, Nick. But I'll make more money with my idle time as opposed to putzing around on a phone trying to make it do things.

Now that its been taken off topic a 2nd time, I respectfully ask future replies remain on topic.

Once more, just wondering,if, in your opinion,

are there an apps out there that some feel are worth spending for?

NIKV69
2011-11-03, 05:16 PM
Verizon would have just put me through the ringer with no alternative.

Since you see into the future can you tell me who will be the winners of every NFL game this week?

As for Apps. I don't think so.

mirrodie
2011-11-03, 05:38 PM
Since you see into the future can you tell me who will be the winners of every NFL game this week?

Did I say I could see into the future? No. But nice attempt at manipulating words.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Looking at past behavior is a great indicator of what future behavior would likely be...

Thanks once more for trying to remain on topic.

NIKV69
2011-11-03, 05:40 PM
Looking at past behavior is a great indicator of what future behavior would likely be...

Except when buying stocks!

gonzalu
2011-11-03, 06:37 PM
Android may be powerful but take it from me, Android sucks... it is too fractured. Having power isn;t necessarily a good thing. A simple package can trump all the power in the world. How many times do you bring up MS Word to edit a simple txt file? :-) Maybe you do lol. But seriously, you have to live with all Operating Systems for really long times. It is part of my day to day job. And while Android does enjoy a bit of extra freedom, it is not by any means more powerful than iOS. Indeed the very basics are missing. NO IPSec built in... Ice Cream Sandwich supposedly has it finally... we'll see. iOS has had it since 3.x.

But this isn't a battle. Choose wisely and select what is best for you. I personally thing the clean and simple outweighs the power and complexity in some cases.

Back to what to get. I say stick to FREE apps as much as possible. ONLY buy one when it gets rave reviews and you have LOTS of screenshots out on the net to judge what you get. NEVER impulsively buy an app from the app store without first researchign it on the web. That's about it. Some of the most powerful and useful apps are free :-)

Get Instagram, it is a joy... Foursquare, Facebook also ... eBay app is excellent.. BofA and AMEX and Capital One apps are terrific. TweetDeck, NYTimes, iBooks is all you need for PDFs or epub format... not really need a more powerful paid app unless you absolutely must...

Printing from iOS SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention printing is horribly broken? LOL

Derf
2011-11-03, 07:00 PM
http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/35549-iPhone-Owners-Unite?highlight=iphone

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/39719-iPad-App-Review-(Photographers-Apps)?highlight=iphone

I stopped posting in them due to the lack of interest

mirrodie
2011-11-03, 10:15 PM
Fred, I looked through those two threads PRIOR to starting this one! Trust me, you sold me on it back then when you called me telling you how much you loved it. (In fact, Phil might have been over when you called that time. LOL)

THe last post was over 6 months ago. WAS hoping for updates. THanks for the advice thus far.

T-Bird76
2011-11-03, 11:07 PM
Angry Birds...that is the only app you'll ever need LOLOL

Mario download Skyview, very cool astronomy app.

moose135
2011-11-03, 11:12 PM
Angry Birds...that is the only app you'll ever need LOLOL
I deleted Angry Birds off my iPhone. /small voice

Art at ISP
2011-11-03, 11:45 PM
Well, I ordered my iPhone 4s on 10/19, and it showed up on Tuesday. Since I have a MacBook Pro, iPad2 and now the iPhone, ios and MobileMe/iCloud is for me.

After setting up MobileMe, I synched the iPhone on Itunes and all my apps from the iPad which would work on the iPhone came over--YAY... BMW also has an option called APPS which is smartphone integration. I bought the cradle for the iPhone and it doesn't work. I was able to have the iphone make a facebook post from the actual car yesterday.....

Still figuring out Siri- she got a restaurant name perfect this morning but not since.

Also I was able to get all my music from my iPod to the iPhone, so one less device I have to have in the car....

So I am loving it to date.......

gonzalu
2011-11-04, 12:14 AM
Galaga 30th
TuneinRadio
Pandora
SoundHound
Shazam
Netflix
Optimum or TimeWarner apps... FiOS?
Live Cams
TeamViewer
Pilot Time
Bump
EmergencyRadio
LiveATC :-)
IMDb
Google Earth
Evernote !!!
AroundME
Where
Yelp
CheapGas
DrinksFree
PS Express

..to name a few

Got my wife's 4S the day it came out. 2 hour on line at a VZ store in Midtown. Mine? Well, I get mine through work, and we have to wait about 20 days from AT&T :mad:

NIKV69
2011-11-04, 08:46 AM
Was going to download liveatc but I am not paying for it.

I enjoy these

Radar Now
Scanner Radio

mirrodie
2011-11-04, 03:08 PM
got optimum
shazam
imdb
cheapgas
trapster
evernote----I ahve not used it much. I did sign up and use Box.net. What exasctly is evernote and what can it do for me?

pandora

Got a few folders with sim type games as well as games for the kids, separated into brainless games and
educational. (Angry birds technically is a play on physics, so it goes under educational)

Radar now sounds interesting....

gonzalu
2011-11-04, 08:06 PM
Ever note is a notepad on steroids. Use it to store any bit of information you can imagine. Synchronizes to an on-line database and then across ALL of your devices under any OS. Mac, Windows Android and iOS clients... too cool. The power is noticed when you need it. If you come across some bit of info you will need in the future, just tag it inside Evernote. Then give it metadata, and then it is stored and searchable from anywhere.

gonzalu
2011-11-04, 08:10 PM
Was going to download liveatc but I am not paying for it.

I enjoy these

Radar Now
Scanner Radio

Can't find Radar Now :-(

emshighway
2011-11-27, 01:09 PM
Siri / Wolfram Alpha trick lets you know what is flying overhead

I'm a bit of an airliner freak, so I love looking up at the contrails of jets flying overhead and wondering where a plane might be going. I recently found out that Wolfram Alpha (http://wolframalpha.com/) has the ability to tell you what airplanes are cruising around above you based on your position and its knowledge of where various airline and charter flights are located at any point in time. Since Siri (http://tuaw.com/tag/siri) has the built-in ability to work with Wolfram Alpha, I thought I'd see if I could just ask Siri to tell me about those flights overhead.
It took a few tries and some thought about what to ask Siri, but I finally got it to work. Telling Siri to "Ask Wolfram what flights are overhead" produces the correct results. That query displays a Wolfram Alpha printout showing the flight or aircraft registration number of flights that are currently visible from where you're standing, their altitude, and the angle above the horizon. You also get information on what type of aircraft each is, how far away it is, and what direction to look, as well as a sky map showing where the planes are.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/26/siri-wolfram-alpha-trick-lets-you-know-what-is-flying-overhead/

adscram14
2011-11-27, 01:28 PM
ooTunes is another good one--you can stream a lot of ATC through that (I did JFK yesterday) to avoid having to pay more for Live ATC's app. It also lets you stream pretty much any radio station in the world, including the ones that are blocked on TuneIn.

mirrodie
2011-11-27, 09:43 PM
Interesting re: Wolphram alpha.

gonzalu
2011-11-27, 10:26 PM
Woldram Alpha is scary good. I used to use Mathematica waaaay back when it was first available as a program only (back in the dark ages)

ooTunes is $4.99!! ouch.. call me cheap but, I like when an app is free or when the developer gives me a coupon or pays me to get it :tongue: Seriously though, unless the app is freaky good, it does not make sense for it to be more than $0.99

There are AMAZING apps that are much more functional that are completely free...

val_b
2011-12-02, 02:25 PM
instagram and loads of games of you're into it..:smile:

benji
2012-02-14, 07:23 AM
argh i'm in the Blackberry vs Iphone dilemma. After having a Blackberry for so long I think I am going to go back and try the new iphone. I have heared mixed reviews of both... so it kind of evens everything out!

T-Bird76
2012-02-14, 01:57 PM
argh i'm in the Blackberry vs Iphone dilemma. After having a Blackberry for so long I think I am going to go back and try the new iphone. I have heared mixed reviews of both... so it kind of evens everything out!

No it does not even out.... Blackberry isn't in the same league as iPhone or Android..its old, slow, and nobody wants them anymore.

Art at ISP
2012-02-20, 04:59 PM
....what Tommy said .......

JHNA57
2012-02-21, 10:16 AM
Yesterday evening (2-20-12) at 17:30 as I was getting in my car I saw a contrail heading from southwest to northeast. This one caught my eye because it was 4 engine and I could tell it was a 747, so I made a note to check it out later on Passur. I forgot about it last night, but when I checked this morning it turned out to be British Airways 3301, a 747-8 heading from Houston to London at about 31,000 ft.
My question is, what is the best I-Phone App to try and look these things up in rear time?

wunaladreamin
2012-06-30, 11:34 AM
Here's an app for you plane geeks!!! Pocket Planes! Own and operate your own airline, buy and sell planes and parts, open and close airports all over the world, and dispatch to wherever the heart desires. The graphics are much like the original 8bit Nintendo which I kind of find endearing and nostalgic. Over the last two weeks, this has been pretty much the only game I've played, with the exception of a little hungry shark here and there. And the best part is that it's free!

Mattimus
2012-06-30, 09:59 PM
Here's an app for you plane geeks!!! Pocket Planes! Own and operate your own airline, buy and sell planes and parts, open and close airports all over the world, and dispatch to wherever the heart desires.

there's also a pretty good one called Air Tycoon 2 , its not free, i think its like $3, but there is a free trial version of it.