PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones Might Not Really Endanger Airliners, NASA Books Flights on Virgin Galacti

NYCA News
2011-10-17, 05:40 PM
NYCAviation:

Cell Phones Might Not Really Endanger Airliners, NASA Books Flights on Virgin Galactic: Final Call (http://nycaviation.com/2011/10/cell-phones-might-not-really-endanger-airliners-nasa-books-flights-on-virgin-galactic-final-call/)

A new study shows cell phones may not be as dangerous to aircraft as some think, Atlantic Southeast Airlines to rebrand as ExpressJet, Heathrow's new pod system takes off, and more...
[Click to Read Full Article (http://nycaviation.com/2011/10/cell-phones-might-not-really-endanger-airliners-nasa-books-flights-on-virgin-galactic-final-call/)]

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-10-17, 05:42 PM
I'll agree with the cell phone article. However, I don't see the FAA rushing to change that policy either.

megatop412
2011-10-17, 09:48 PM
Dang. This topic just will not die, will it. It's crazy how badly people are pushing to be able to use their phones on flights. This is total insanity.

I don't care how safe it is or how many studies they run. Even if there's no interference, I don't want to hear people yappin the whole damn time. That alone should be sufficient to keep the phones off.

They've got nothing important to say anyway. Nobody does anymore. When was the last time you were on the train and heard someone saying into their phone "Throughout the course of history, large groups of human beings have suffered at the hands of the few, resulting in a marginalization of the human spirit that has greed at its center."

Can you imagine sitting there for two hours having to listen to "so I was on facebook, and like, I totally couldn't believe Gretchen posted that she was having a baby with her ex-boyfriend. I was like, you're an idiot if you think he's gonna support that baby, you're so totally on your own. But she won't listen, you know? She's just like my boss, Karen. The last time Karen had a life with a guy was in college, so now she has profiles on like 3 different dating sites but it's like, give it up, you know? There should be, like, a limit to blah blah, blah blah b-blah, blah blahdy blah blah....."

Just sit there, eat your bag of pretzels, read your Jennifer Weiner book, and SHADDAAAP. Oh and there's the male version also that I'm sure most of you have had to endure. You know, the one about how much money they're making.

Keep Civil Aviation civil- keep the phones off

jerslice
2011-10-17, 10:06 PM
Even if there's no interference, I don't want to hear people yappin the whole damn time. That alone should be sufficient to keep the phones off.
If they allowed cell phones en route during my trip to Africa (42hrs travel time) I would've shot something. You've got it right on target: I don't care if it is safe or not, I don't want the on-board experience to go even further down the toilet than it already has.

Keep Civil Aviation Civil: phones off! (I like that catchphrase!)

steve1840
2011-10-18, 07:28 AM
Even if they were to allow cell phones to be used on planes, there really is no reception at 30,000ft. On my flight from CLT to PHX over the summer they had I turned my phone on during the flight and turned off airplane mode since I opted to get the available wifi so I would have something to do. All I could do on my phone was surf the interent (and slowly at best). I couldn't send a text message let alone talk to somebody if I had remotely wanted to. Besides, wouldn't the cell phone signal fall under the same principle as trying to listen to a scanner while on the flight and not succeeding?