PDA

View Full Version : BIRDSTRIKE?? Cathay 747-400 MAN

AlexSBA340
2011-10-15, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCaz509ZKw

Im not too sure about it what do you think?:confused:

Cary
2011-10-15, 11:22 PM
It doesn't look like the bird crossed in front of the engine (I can't find any frames where you can see the silhouette of the bird crossing in front of the engine cowling). Also, I think you would have seen some evidence of a bird being ingested, like an engine flameout.

This is the closest I've seen to a birdstrike:

PhilDernerJr
2011-10-16, 08:17 AM
If that's a serious question, why did the video stop? We can't see if it came out the back because the video cut. If it did get sucked in, I almost guarantee the pilots would have realized something had happened and the plane would have aborted landing. Did it?

moose135
2011-10-16, 08:49 AM
If it did get sucked in, I almost guarantee the pilots would have realized something had happened and the plane would have aborted landing. Did it?
Really? For one small bird? I remember sucking in a bird doing a touch and go in the KC-135 - the only reason we knew about it was tower called to tell us he saw a puff of smoke out the back. We came back around for a full stop, but we didn't have any obvious indications in the cockpit at the time.

PhilDernerJr
2011-10-16, 12:16 PM
Technically Ig uess you cna prove the negative, so If that bird there got sucked into an engine, it seemed sizable enough for some kind of effect on the engine and forthe computer to tell the pilots, "dude, you had a strange vibration or some ish go on in engine #2."

Looking at the video, compared to the engine, that bird seems to have a wingspan of at least 3 feet, which I think would certainly affect the engine. I think the bird is not near the plane and is an optical illusion of depth, though.

AlexSBA340
2011-10-16, 06:20 PM
No Phil it made a normal landing only noticed this when playing back the vid and i Panned as i was filimg at the end so you can not see anything after it misses off :frown:

Nighthawk
2011-10-16, 07:13 PM
That video is a teaser. DISLIKE

USAF Pilot 07
2011-10-17, 06:00 PM
Really? For one small bird? I remember sucking in a bird doing a touch and go in the KC-135 - the only reason we knew about it was tower called to tell us he saw a puff of smoke out the back. We came back around for a full stop, but we didn't have any obvious indications in the cockpit at the time.

Happens a lot more than people realize.. In fact, I bet most birds that are sucked into engines go unnoticed...

hiss srq
2011-10-17, 07:05 PM
Happens a lot more than people realize.. In fact, I bet most birds that are sucked into engines go unnoticed...

Well, no one but the birds at least. :cool:

Derf
2011-10-17, 08:07 PM
Well, I think that it is really rude that you all are so worried about how this would affect an airframe and nobody had talked about the feelings of the birds family and if they understood what had happened, and more importantly...if they realized what the precursors were that lead to this total disaster. We are talking about much more than a bent leading edge of a fanblade here folks. Please lets not forget the big picture!