PDA

View Full Version : How US Airways Gave Up on LaGuardia

NYCA News
2011-10-14, 09:32 AM
NYCAviation:

How US Airways Gave Up on LaGuardia (http://nycaviation.com/2011/10/how-us-airways-gave-up-on-laguardia/)

US Airways’ terminal at La Guardia can be eerily quiet these days. Once home to the largest airline operation at the airport, the once bustling corridors are now dominated by US Airways Express flights to regional destinations operated, but those corridors won’t be quiet for long.
[Click to Read Full Article (http://nycaviation.com/2011/10/how-us-airways-gave-up-on-laguardia/)]

steve1840
2011-10-14, 09:54 AM
Great read. I never realized that LGA was that sought after of a facility for airlines in the NYC area. Wish someone other than Delta would have made the deal with USAirways though. Would be nice to be able to go to one of the NYC airports and not see so many Delta planes when out spotting.

RDU-JFK
2011-10-14, 11:31 AM
Nice article. I hate to see US Airways' presence go at LGA. Though I've moved out of NYC and switched my loyalties to Delta, I frequently flew US from LGA on regional trips to RDU, Ithaca, Syracuse, and Charlottesville; plus trips to CLT and the shuttle to DCA. People criticized how US clogged up the slots with turboprop aircraft but US was the only carrier to serve these regional secondary routes from New York. I'd rather have the luxury of being able to fly to a CHO or an ITH non-stop rather than a choice of 14 non-stops to Atlanta or Chicago. Variety is the spice of life! Also this would eliminate any turboprop service to LGA which is sad.

I wonder how Delta will juggle its regional presence at JFK vs LGA now. If they start to switch JFK's regionals over to LGA save a few token DCA, BOS or PHL connections, the feed for their international flights might sufffer and thus might reduce the number of overall international destionations they fly.

megatop412
2011-10-14, 01:05 PM
I regularly flew US LGA-IND and back between '91 and '98 and remember the terminal construction taking seemingly forever. When it was finally finished I was pretty impressed, and it seemed like something like this Delta swap would never be in the cards. They were the Kings of LGA.