PDA

View Full Version : Which side for LGA

Mateo
2011-09-15, 08:52 AM
Will be arriving into LGA around 10p in a couple of weeks. Which side of the plane has better Manhattan views on arrival?

The only other time I've gone into LGA was on an ILS 13 getting close to minimums.

Matt Molnar
2011-09-15, 04:01 PM
The left side of the plane is the best bet. Runway 4, Runway 31 and most Runway 22 approaches fly northward east of Manhattan. Runway 13 arrivals are pretty rare.

TVNewsChopper
2011-09-15, 09:26 PM
I agree... The left side is best. I flew from BOS to LGA a few weeks ago, at about 10:00p, and was on the left side of an Embraer 175. We were flying left traffic for runway 4. I think it was the best view I have ever had of Manhattan at night! We were flying over New Jersey, along the Hudson, then turned left around the tip of lower Manhattan. It was perfect! There really is nothing like that view! It was a week before the 9/11 anniversary, so the new One World Trade Center tower was all lit up and looked incredible! Couldn't have asked for better view!

Mateo
2011-09-15, 11:08 PM
Thanks; that's what I thought. I know the left side is obviously better if they're landing on 4 (the LGA arrival stream is how I know which way is North when I'm in Brooklyn), but didn't know the typical flightpath if they're on the Expressway vis to 31.

Speedbird1
2011-09-26, 08:31 AM
Is it true that the steward will tell you to stop using a digital camera during approach/ landing? I've always took my best photos during these times?

Matt Molnar
2011-09-26, 08:17 PM
Is it true that the steward will tell you to stop using a digital camera during approach/ landing? I've always took my best photos during these times?
Some will, some won't.

DHG750R
2011-09-26, 10:32 PM
Keep in mind if LGA is landing 22, departing 31 aircraft arriving from the west and south will be east of Manhattan (good left side view). If it is landing 22, departing 13 those same arrivals will be vectored just (barely) west of Manhattan, generally up the Hudson River so you may see most of the city from the right side.

Mateo
2011-10-06, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the advice - flew the Expressway Vis to 31 last night on an evening that was clear and a million. Spectacular views of DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Central NJ, and then Manhattan from the left side of the aircraft.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-11-05, 03:24 PM
Thanks; that's what I thought. I know the left side is obviously better if they're landing on 4 (the LGA arrival stream is how I know which way is North when I'm in Brooklyn), but didn't know the typical flightpath if they're on the Expressway vis to 31.
Just a tidbit, I don't know how often runway 4 is used, but when I went to Vaughn in 2008 the most common approach to LGA was the Hudson River Visual landing to 22 and departures on 13 or departures on 4 and arrivals on 31 expressway visual. The last time I landed on runway 4 as a pax was August 2011 and the time before that I believe was July 2000 with many, many trips using LGA between then. Runway 4 is my favorite approach.