PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Using Miles for a Domestic ticket around Xmas time

RDU-JFK
2011-09-12, 12:47 PM
Planning a trip to NYC for Christmas 12/22 to 12/26 to visit family. Airfare is around $550 for nonstops from LAX to JFK. I have around 250k miles with Delta; do you guys think 40k miles for a coach ticket or 80k miles for Business Elite is too high, or should I just pay the fare so I get some more MQMs and save the miles for another trip (maybe TATL)?

mirrodie
2011-09-12, 02:37 PM
Unless you're saving those miles for something in particular, use them.

$550 is a lot on that route with what seems like jacked up fares for the holidays.

I have no experience with Bus Elite to say burn them on a LAX-JFK route. All depends on your longterm goals.

Last time I had 250 K miles, I burned them on a pair of first class tickets to Australia.. But I saved for them with that goal in mind. Personally, I wouldn't blow 80K on a transcon flight, but life's short so unless you have a bigger trip in mind, go for it.

RDU-JFK
2011-09-12, 04:21 PM
Yeah I was hoping to save for a trans-pac flight one day and 80k is a lot for a domestic flight. I'll think about it some more. So unfair how they jack up these fares around the holidays!!!!