PDA

View Full Version : JFK on Saturday

B77WYYZ
2011-09-08, 09:46 AM
Hello all

I am a aviation photographer from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and I was down JFK way last September for UN Week. It looks like I mis-calculated by the recent posts about when UN week was starting! I booked a ticket on JetBlue out of Buffalo for this Saturday, so I guess I'll be missing some of the extra flights. Will check JetBlue for next week, depending on the weather. For this Saturday, I'm seeing sunny skies and North winds!! Does this mean they will be on the 31s? Can anyone help out about where the best place would be to photograph early morning arrivals on 31R! and if anyone can tell me about the habits of the A380s. I've listened to LiveATC and it seems they prefer to land on 31L. Has any ever landed on 31R? I've seen a picture of either Emirates or Air France landing on 13L!!
Of course the A380s are at the top of my list, also including Delta B744s, I look forward to any information possible, thanks Kelli (B77WYYZ)http://nycaviation.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

moose135
2011-09-08, 11:00 AM
If the winds are from the north/northwest, they should be on 31 L/R. That said, there is often little apparent rhyme or reason behind runway usage. The A380 doesn't land on 31R - there are obstacles at the far end that cause clearance issues for turning off the runway. For 31R arrivals, Firestone/Panera (Point C on the JFK Spotting Guide (http://nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/jfk/) will give you the best view. For 31L, you want to be at either Bayswater Park (Point D) or Inwood Park (Point G). Inwood Park will get you closer, but with a shorter window to shoot due to trees and other obstructions. Bayswater gives a good overview of JFK, as well as arriving traffic. If you want to catch some departures off 31L, head over to Howard Beach (Point A) When the heavies depart, you can get some nice bank shots. If the weather holds, I may head out for a bit Saturday - I haven't been out spotting in ages.

B77WYYZ
2011-09-08, 11:49 AM
thanks Moose135 for the information. Is there an early morning spot for 31R arrivals before the sun swings. Something about North Woodsmere Park! or can you suggest any other spot, Kelli (B77WYYZ)

moose135
2011-09-08, 12:32 PM
I'm not much of a morning person, Kelli, but I have heard that North Woodmere Park may work in the early morning. If they are arriving on 4L/R, which they do frequently at that time, Bayswater would be the place to be, but the gate may or may not be open.

MSN007
2011-09-08, 01:05 PM
Can someone elaborate more on UN General Assembly? When does it start and when is the most anticipated arrivals?

Thanks,

steve1840
2011-09-08, 01:06 PM
thanks Moose135 for the information. Is there an early morning spot for 31R arrivals before the sun swings. Something about North Woodsmere Park! or can you suggest any other spot, Kelli (B77WYYZ)

Kelli - If they are using the 31s in the morning right after sunrise you can also try the Northen edge of the Lowes parking lot which is located on Rockaway Blvd. This has provided me some good early morning shots, such as this one (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7163611). This spot can be good until past 8:00, but chances are by then they will switch to the 4s or 22s anyway.

moose135
2011-09-08, 01:12 PM
Can someone elaborate more on UN General Assembly? When does it start and when is the most anticipated arrivals?
Looks like the following weekend, Sept. 17 - 18, will be the prime arrival dates.

B77WYYZ
2011-09-08, 01:15 PM
nice shot Steve, I think that will work just fine, thanks again, Kelli (B77WYYZ)

steve1840
2011-09-08, 01:27 PM
Thanks Kelli. And now problem at all. In that parking lot there are a few trees off to the right side of the view of the passing aircraft and once the planes get to about the 1-2 o'clock position they will be behind the trees and disapear. Also, grab a can of bug spray before heading out. You will need it parking along the edge of the parking lot or going to the Mounds if they switch to the 22s later in the day.

gonzalu
2011-09-08, 01:37 PM
The Lowes parking lot is technically not an official spotting location because it is private property and aggressively managed. So, be aware that there are security sweeps by a private company every 5 minutes or so sometimes shorter sometimes longer. So be aware of that and if asked to leave, please do so immediately and without confrontation for the sake of those that will come after you :cool:

A somewhat better spot (from a security point of view) is from Brookville Blvd immediately south of Rockaway Blvd. You can stay in your car and shoot from the window but there is a building to your southeast that blocks the view of the traffic so you may have to act quickly and pay attention to the tower landing clearance to be ready.

steve1840
2011-09-08, 01:54 PM
Thanks for adding in the point that Lowes is not an official spotting location Manny and that it is private property. It was a good point that security does sweep through there frequently. I forgot to bring that up, probably because I have never been approached by the security personnel, but thats not to say that it won't happen.

gonzalu
2011-09-08, 08:30 PM
Steve, I have never been approached either, but I have enough sense to make myself transparent when they swing by me LOL. I wouldn't want someone to think it was an official spot and then find themselves in a tug of war with a security officer. I say it should only be used for emergencies (a super special bird or an off hour visitor that normally visits after hours etc.) but for a British Air or TAM or any of the regulars, it isn't worth it.

Cary
2011-09-09, 03:32 PM
Just stating the obvious, but for anyone planning to spot, with the public being reminded to report anything suspicious and warnings of credible threats, visits from law enforcement or even being asked to leave the "official" spots are much more likely this weekend.

B77WYYZ
2011-09-09, 04:00 PM
thanks to all for very useful information. Just checking the weather and winds seem to be now ENE or NE. I guess that would put the 4s in play!! Im hoping. Would like to sit at Bayswater and get everything coming and going, saves the running around, thanks again Kelli (B77WYYZ):smile:

megatop412
2011-09-09, 04:27 PM
I used to frequently use that lot when Lowes was Pergaments, and I was never hassled there at all. Course, like Manny I make myself inconspicuous as much as I can.

NIKV69
2011-09-09, 06:42 PM
With the media hyping the "credible but non-confirmed" threat Cary is right. Phone calls to law enforcement will be magnified. The Lowes lot is good but you can't go there as a group you will get bounced in a second. The spot on brookville on weekends is much safer.

FlyingColors
2011-09-09, 07:28 PM
With the media hyping the "credible but non-confirmed" threat Cary is right. Phone calls to law enforcement will be magnified. The Lowes lot is good but you can't go there as a group you will get bounced in a second. The spot on brookville on weekends is much safer.

You have to put on a good show.
Open your hood on your car and pretend your having auto trouble. Keep your camera on your seat, squeeze off a few shots and put it back! Worked for me.

NIKV69
2011-09-10, 07:14 AM
You have to put on a good show.
Open your hood on your car and pretend your having auto trouble. Keep your camera on your seat, squeeze off a few shots and put it back! Worked for me.

LOL love it Mike but by doing that you expose yourself to the do gooder who stops to ask if you need help including the security guard. I treat it as any other private lot. Go alone and not in groups and stay in your car. If you use your head you're fine.

gonzalu
2011-09-10, 10:30 PM
William, I have become a master at the art of invisibility :cool: I have had situations where a security officer is standing right in front of me and they can;t see me... I just blend in with the background... ROTFL.

Kelli, real pleasure meeting you and speaking with you today. Sorry we brought the clouds with us. You are a wealth of information:cool: Hope you had a safe flight back to Toronto, eh!

Cheers!

threeholerglory
2011-09-10, 10:48 PM
William, I have become a master at the art of invisibility :cool:

sorry Manny, as incognito as I know you are, I don't think anyone should tread on Senga's turf like that...that guy has shots from the same places as me (and others) at the same time, on the same date and no one has ever seen him....he's a freakin' ninja.

gonzalu
2011-09-10, 11:41 PM
Mike, you're right (recently Martin Air Cargo, from the very spot) but I did catch him on first day of Finnair Cargo MD-11 and also on Corsair 747 :tongue: I wonder if he reads this? Senga, where u b @? lol

eric8669
2011-09-10, 11:44 PM
Mike, you're right (recently Martin Air Cargo, from the very spot) but I did catch him on first day of Finnair Cargo MD-11 and also on Corsair 747 :tongue: I wonder if he reads this? Senga, where u b @? lol

Just wait till next week, you will want to know where Senga is. He knows all.

gonzalu
2011-09-11, 11:58 PM
Guys, anyone have SCARS (Senga Communications Addressing and Reporting System) ?
:tongue: