PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Approach to Baghdad International Airport

Matt Molnar
2011-08-05, 08:52 PM
5b7_1312500215

A former Independence Air CRJ-200 landing at BIA for Flying Carpet Air. Now flown by Med Airways as OD-AMR.

megatop412
2011-08-06, 09:54 AM
I wonder if this approach is designed to always trigger bank angle warnings or if this pilot took it to the extreme

NIKV69
2011-08-06, 11:19 AM
My friend took a delegation into the green zone once and flew in with that approach. I think he has a vid on youtube of it. He said it was awesome. Better was once they landed the plane couldn't go anywhere near the terminal and they got picked up with heavily fortified vehicles with many automatic weapons.

Matt Molnar
2011-08-06, 03:58 PM
I wonder if this approach is designed to always trigger bank angle warnings or if this pilot took it to the extreme

Not sure, from the description it sounded like it may have been his first time flying it.

That said, I believe they have to stay in airspace within the airport perimeter for safety, so it could indeed require banking that steeply. And that's a relatively small plane, a larger plane might require even steeper banks.

NIKV69
2011-08-06, 04:19 PM
Not sure, from the description it sounded like it may have been his first time flying it.

That said, I believe they have to stay in airspace within the airport perimeter for safety, so it could indeed require banking that steeply. And that's a relatively small plane, a larger plane might require even steeper banks.

Yep too many RPGs or surface to air stuff so they corkscrew it in pretty epically.

hiss srq
2011-08-06, 05:29 PM
From what I have been told, it requires inside the perimiter from altitude to the runway

Cary
2011-08-06, 05:54 PM
Here's a nice little article on it, from Air & Space Magazine:
http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/landing_in_baghdad.html