PDA

View Full Version : ISP is really is delusional...

T-Bird76
2011-06-20, 11:05 AM
Town of Islip officals really must be delusional..... They are putting on a full court press to bring International service to ISP??? Are they kidding? They may want to start with obtaining decent domestic service before they try to cross the pond...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/macarthur-pushes-for-international-flights-1.2969510

moose135
2011-06-20, 12:01 PM
They may want to start with obtaining decent domestic service before they try to cross the pond...
It sounds like they are working on that too...they can't do both?

Matt Molnar
2011-06-20, 12:23 PM
I can't see the article. Are they specifically targeting Europe flights or intl flights in general? Southwest could start flying to the Caribbean from ISP in the next couple years.

moose135
2011-06-20, 12:28 PM
All they say is "international", Matt, without specifics. Really, the article mostly focuses on working with the FAA and Customs and Border Protection for appropriate facilities and services for international travelers. The article also says:

Coincidentally, airport commissioner Teresa Rizzuto heads this week to an airline industry conference to "speed date" a group of carriers in an attempt to woo them to MacArthur. Rizzuto confirmed Friday that she will meet with representatives of eight airlines, including four that fly international routes, during the two-day Airport Council International conference, starting Wednesday in Cleveland.

Which is why I said it looks like they are working to increase domestic service as well as international.

mirrodie
2011-06-20, 12:46 PM
They may want to start with obtaining decent domestic service before they try to cross the pond...

This coming from someone who flew them regularly enough to reflect it in his previous license plates. :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Honestly, if they can swing service across the pond, then why not? its one added point for the rest of eastern parts of Long Island to bounce from. Must be nice to live in Manorville and take advantage of service that you dont have to trek into Jamaica for.

As far as other domestic service, let the market decide. Right now its geared to Snowbirds.

Art at ISP
2011-06-20, 01:35 PM
I think the reference to "international" could be as simple as Canada or the Caribbean. I doubt there would be enough demand to offer Europe as a destination, plus there would be weight and balance challenges with most aircraft and a 7002 foot runway.

That said, they really need to bolster the dismal domestic schedule before thinking about service which would requiire installing a FIS on the property ...

NIKV69
2011-06-20, 02:04 PM
This is much ado about nothing. Small international charters already fly in to ISP. Like Art said the extent of this will be Canada maybe or Caribbean. No European anything is going to want to go anywhere near ISP. No reason to.

I think Rep. Israel is just being doing a little face time thing here.

Matt Molnar
2011-06-20, 02:43 PM
No European anything is going to want to go anywhere near ISP. No reason to.
There was that talk about Ryanair launching a long-haul brand, possibly to ISP, but given current fuel prices and the economy that seems unlikely anytime soon.

NIKV69
2011-06-20, 03:01 PM
There was that talk about Ryanair launching a long-haul brand, possibly to ISP, but given current fuel prices and the economy that seems unlikely anytime soon.

Has to be one of the most foolish ideas ever. What would somone from London or Dublin do in Suffolk country? Go to a diner? Then fight 2 hours of traffic to go to NYC?

steve1840
2011-06-20, 03:11 PM
Has to be one of the most foolish ideas ever. What would somone from London or Dublin do in Suffolk country? Go to a diner? Then fight 2 hours of traffic to go to NYC?

To play devil's advocate for a second.........

Maybe one who has ties in the Hamptons and don't want to fight two hours of traffic and drive the distance out to West Hampton Beach.

Just a thought. And I completely agree thata European route woudn't make much sense, but just thought that I would at least try to justify it if only in the tiniest of ways. :tongue:

T-Bird76
2011-06-20, 03:12 PM
This coming from someone who flew them regularly enough to reflect it in his previous license plates. :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Honestly, if they can swing service across the pond, then why not? its one added point for the rest of eastern parts of Long Island to bounce from. Must be nice to live in Manorville and take advantage of service that you dont have to trek into Jamaica for.

As far as other domestic service, let the market decide. Right now its geared to Snowbirds.

Mario please move into at least 3rd gear before responding.... Where did I even mention anything about Southwest?????? The article and comment was about Islip town and Islip in general being foolish in their efforts to lure Intl flights. If the market demanded it the airlines would have it. ISP needs to focus its efforts on more domestic flights with another carrier besides US that will offer viable connections to points further. Hopefully we'll get an ATL flight from Southwest next year.

Also as an fyi ISP can handle flights to Canada now. When you leave Canada you go through customs in Canada vs. in the U.S. All AC flights into LGA do not have their passengers go through customs at LGA. Almost all the major airports in Canada have US customs at the point of departure.

moose135
2011-06-20, 04:02 PM
It's less than 1 1/2 on the LIRR from Ronkonkoma to Penn...you get a cheap flight into ISP, it can be more than worth it.

NIKV69
2011-06-20, 04:21 PM
It's less than 1 1/2 on the LIRR from Ronkonkoma to Penn...you get a cheap flight into ISP, it can be more than worth it.

How do you get to the train station? Walk? You won't be getting a cheap flight because it can't happen. Which is why anybody not totally insane will just fly into JFk and take the airtrain to the City.

Derf
2011-06-20, 04:34 PM
They have a special fare to the train...I believe it was like $5 or something to get to Ronkonkoma...it is on the north side of the airport.

NIKV69
2011-06-20, 04:45 PM
They have a special fare to the train...I believe it was like $5 or something to get to Ronkonkoma...it is on the north side of the airport.

I still can't see someone taking a crap LCC to an obscure airfield, then get a cab to take a long train ride. When in reality the amount of people that will have any desire to fly to Suffolk County for the Hamptons or whatever will be so small they won't get the route off the ground.

Easier to go through JFK and if you want some time in the Hamptons the Jitney is much nicer than the LIRR.

Ari707
2011-06-21, 09:53 AM
"I still can't see someone taking a crap LCC to an obscure airfield, then get a cab to take a long train ride. When in reality the amount of people that will have any desire to fly to Suffolk County for the Hamptons or whatever will be so small they won't get the route off the ground. "

Isn't this what all of Ryan Air passangers do now anyway, is there a major airport they do fly in to, most of their flights get you somewhere near the city and then its a bus or train ride to the city,
In that model ISP is perfect for them, supper cheap fare, with no service on board, and then even with $20-25 extra for the LIRR its still cheaper then going into JFK and spending $20-45 to get into the city.

Gerard
2011-06-21, 10:33 AM
Damn why are some people getting angry here over this proposal? :confused::rolleyes::eek:

T-Bird76
2011-06-21, 11:42 AM
Damn why are some people getting angry here over this proposal? :confused::rolleyes::eek:

Because its stupid and the Gov't leaders here are barking up the wrong tree. Who here really thinks ISP is going to fill a 737 to San Juan or other like cities? ISP is and always has been and O&D airport its not a connecting point and never will be. What ISP needs is attractive routes at fair prices to hub cities like ATL, ORD, DTW...etc. There are plenty of Global companies right near ISP that are bypassing ISP and going to LGA and JFK. The new model in the industry is relying on alliances partnerships which in the end benefit the customer. ISP has one alliance carrier with very limited and poor service. Companies are just not going to go for that.

LIMatt
2011-06-21, 12:37 PM
I can see Caribbean flights being full out of ISP in the colder months in NY. Having traveled frequently on these out of JFK myself I can see a flight to San Juan or Montego Bay filled on a regular basis. Maybe not a daily service but Bi Weekly may do well.

As for non stops to Europe maybe not so much. As an "East Ender" I would like to see regular affordable service on any airline that isn't named Southwest to places like Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Detroit, RDU, Charlotte, Miami, Atlanta. Just more "hub" destinations in major cities would be fine.

All in all it's still a pipe dream but I still don't think the drive to JFK is all that bad.

Gerard
2011-06-21, 06:27 PM
IAll in all it's still a pipe dream but I still don't think the drive to JFK is all that bad.

Especially if you have an early weekend flight. :smile:

emshighway
2011-06-21, 06:58 PM
Talking with several airline managers about ISP most have said the big problem is that ISP still has high landing fees and high rent. If they would drop those some airlines may give them a second thought. With Southwest in LGA and the AirTran purchase the only reason they don't totally pull out of ISP is they would have to report the cost of the terminal as a loss which would seriously ruin their profit streak.

mirrodie
2011-06-21, 07:39 PM
"Mario please move into at least 3rd gear before responding.... Where did I even mention anything about Southwest?????? The article and comment was about Islip town and Islip in general being foolish in their efforts to lure Intl flights. If the market demanded it the airlines would have it. ISP needs to focus its efforts on more domestic flights with another carrier"

You can't talk about the nutty idea of Int'l service without mentioning hte only carrier that monopolizes the airport.
And besides, I havent busted your chops in a while.