PDA

View Full Version : Media Blows it again (AF1 at Bradley)

Lrusso
2011-05-18, 05:11 PM
Was just watching the CBS 2 Evening News.

"Tense moments on Board AF1 after the pilots abort a landing"

Plane executed a missed approach at Bradley, I guess that qualifies as a tense moment.

steve1840
2011-05-18, 05:28 PM
Of course I have to work 10 hour days this week. Of course I have a deadline to meet that doesn't allow me to take the day off. Of course the weather had to be junk today! All the things that kept me from going to catch AF1 today. Would have been sweet to catch that missed approach.

Gerard
2011-05-18, 07:04 PM
Was just watching the CBS 2 Evening News.

"Tense moments on Board AF1 after the pilots abort a landing"

Plane executed a missed approach at Bradley, I guess that qualifies as a tense moment.

Any reason why they had to execute the missed?

Cary
2011-05-18, 07:22 PM
Any reason why they had to execute the missed?

WX/poor vis

cancidas
2011-05-18, 08:12 PM
i'm actually somewhat glad the mere peons like the media can't grasp the aviation industry. if it were easy enough that everyone could do it then more people would. talking heads have no place in an airplane, it's bad enough with all the sunday flyers at FRG on weekends!

gonzalu
2011-05-18, 09:27 PM
I am no pilot but I have been on a plane plenty of times... LANDING A BEHEMOTH of a piece of metal when winds are batting it around and no solid 2 dimensional surface to balance against is HARD!!!! Even the best weather, conditions, visibility, equipment, technology etc. does not make up for the fact that you are controlling hundreds of thousands of pounds in three dimensions without a single point of support other than the power of your engines and even that has a slight delay in it and not totally solid support. Missed approaches are nothing compared to actually landing the beast... I hate when people consider this to be a tense moment. Geesh!

I wonder if some people actually think it is like driving a car where when you turn the wheel, you have a reasonable expectation of what the car will do... push the stick on a plane and maybe or maybe not depending on what the last gust of wind was doing to that control surface!

Gerard
2011-05-18, 09:48 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/05/18/2011-05-18_president_obama_on_air_force_one_during_aborted _landing_at_connecticut_airport.html

moose135
2011-05-18, 10:02 PM
I wonder if some people actually think it is like driving a car where when you turn the wheel, you have a reasonable expectation of what the car will do... push the stick on a plane and maybe or maybe not depending on what the last gust of wind was doing to that control surface!
I don't know...when I was flying, I usually had a pretty good idea what the airplane was going to do when I moved the stick a certain amount in a certain direction.

gonzalu
2011-05-18, 10:27 PM
Moose, yes, of course, but I think you also know what I mean... been in plenty of landings where the pilot wants to do X and the plane does Y... been in quite a few aborted landings too and my feelings were later confirmed by the pilots when they explained to the pax why we went around.

bluejuice
2011-05-19, 08:33 AM
OMG !!!! The president did a go-around. The first ladys aircraft did a go around. This must be a terrorist plot.

:confused::confused: