PDA

View Full Version : News Copters Working With FDNY

Gerard
2011-05-06, 06:49 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2011/05/06/2011-05-06_copter_vids_are_giving_fdny_a_lift.html

Nick
2011-05-07, 11:30 AM
Cool stuff, the FD has wanted their own birds for a little while now haven't they? I know at least one Pilot and many FE's are City Firemen.

Matt Molnar
2011-05-07, 12:51 PM
I thought FDNY got one after 9/11? That said, I'd imagine there aren't many instances where they actually need it. Why can't NYPD feed video to them?

Gerard
2011-05-07, 04:15 PM
Why can't NYPD feed video to them?

They do. It says it it the article though not directly. "set up a program to share service with the NYPD". Along with video feeding they will take FDNY bosses up to do visuals on situations.

fk6065
2011-05-07, 06:40 PM
Prior to 9-11 there were and still are procedures for helicopter landing on a high rise building. Certain Ladder Companies in Manhattan are trained in the procedure and if a FDNY Staff chief orders a roof top landing the NYPD provides a helicopter to transport the firefighters to the roof of the high rise. NYPD ESU Officers are to repell from the helicopter to secure the roof landing site and then the helicopter will bring 6 firefighters to the roof of the building.

It is drilled on regualrly but I can't even remember the last time it was even put on stand by. It wasn't used at the Trade Center because of the smoke condition.

After 9-11 there were numerous rumors of the FDNY getting a helicopter or two. In my own opinion I don't think it will ever happen as long as NYPD Aviation is around.

Also after 9-11 the FDNY established a new procedure for an "Air Recon Chief" that is activated on the transmission of a third alarm fire or as a special call (request) of the incident commander.

A predesignated Battalion Chief for that tour is assigned to respond to Floyd Bennett Field when a third alarm is given and meet up with NYPD aviation who then take him to the fire for a bird's eye view.

The chief can communicate with the FDNY Operations Center, the NYPD and the incident commander (chief) at the fire scene. More often then not the chief is returned to service before he reaches Floyd Bennett or is on hold on the ground. They are used at brush fires more than anything else. They have the capability to send video to FDNY Ops at HQ and also to the Tactical Command Unit at the fire scene that a chief can view.

Like I said personally I don't think it will ever happen that there will be an FDNY Aviation unit, but you would be surprised at the number of incidents that happen every day that it could assist at.

The benefit of the news copter sending in their video is that they are often at a fire earlier since they are monitoring the scanner.

emshighway
2011-05-07, 11:30 PM
NYPD dropped ESU to take down the antennae and landed during the 93 bombing.

The most FDNY has done with NYPD Aviation is doing air recon on brush fires and used the Bambi bucket.

CBS, NBC, WOR, PIX and FOX5 made a group called LNS where they share resources such as the chopper. My friend is the assignment editor at WPIX and when he sees th chopper has something of interest for FDNY he switch the fiber link on for them.