PDA

View Full Version : A HUD for your Turboprop?

cancidas
2011-04-19, 05:35 PM
HUD Benefits Moving To Turboprops, Light Jets
Rockwell Collins announced the new smaller and lighter compact HGS-3500 head-up guidance system today at the FSF/NBAA Corporate Aviation Safety Seminar in San Diego. At roughly one-fifth the installed cost of a typical long-range jet’s head-up display (HUD), the HGS-3500 promises to bring the safety benefits of HUD technology to the segment spanning single-engine turboprops to midsize jets. The HGS-3500, for use in aircraft equipped with the Rockwell Collins Pro Line Fusion avionics suite, fits into one 12-pound unit that mounts in front of the pilot. It consists of an LED-lighted active-matrix LCD that feeds the image into the top of the HUD glass, which then spreads the image out so it fills the entire space. The HGS-3500 offers a slightly smaller field of view, lower luminance and lower resolution than the larger Rockwell Collins HGS head-up guidance system, but the result for the pilot is functionally the same, according to Adam Evanschwartz, principal marketing manager at Rockwell Collins. All the symbols on the HGS-3500 will look the same to pilots in terms of size, resolution and placement as they do on the original Collins HGS. The HGS-3500 will display the Fusion’s synthetic-vision system view, as well as infrared enhanced vision. Rockwell Collins plans to fly the HGS-3500 on its Challenger 601 in 2013, and expects to receive certification in 2014 or 2015. The company hopes to gain FAA approval for lower approach minimums using synthetic vision on the HGS.

about time someone started putting useful technology into smaller airplanes!!

seahawks7757
2011-04-19, 05:39 PM
Q400's have had HUD for a while now. Just saying since you say Turboprop :wink:

cancidas
2011-04-19, 05:55 PM
Q400's have had HUD for a while now. Just saying since you say Turboprop :wink:

you got me there. i kinda sorta meant corporate.

seahawks7757
2011-04-19, 11:42 PM
you got me there. i kinda sorta meant corporate.

In all seriousness though HUD combined with Horizon's new use of WASS has been a good combo for airports with no ILS systems.

threeholerglory
2011-04-20, 10:31 AM
HUDs and HGS have been available for a while for corporate and not just the jets...the guy I fly a 414/441 with had one installed on his turbo commander some 15 years ago (I think it was that long) but in any event he had the only CAT-II certified turbo commander in the world at the time. I also so an O2A with some form of a HUD at CDW a few months ago.