PDA

View Full Version : Plane Spotting In Orlando - any problems

microlight
2011-03-21, 02:54 PM
Visiting Florida next week for 14 days.

On some of our UK Forums we have images of a US TSA Poster showing a photographer at an airport chain link fence , with the advice " dont let our planes get into the wrong hands" - "if you question it , report it , call local law enforcement , report to your local airport manager" Call 866/GA-SECURE

Is this causing issues for fellow photographers , or is it nothing to be worried about ???

Dont particularly want to fly 4500 miles to keep my camera in its bag .

Any advice for Orlando or airports in that area appreciated.

markg
2011-03-23, 11:32 AM
Go to the Orlando Airport website http://www.orlandoairports.net/faq.htm and see the instructions for getting a permit to spot and photograph from the parking garage.

megatop412
2011-03-23, 02:15 PM
How funny is it that we've been having this running conversation about ID cards, and how feasible it would be to have them, what they would mean, they would never fly with PAPD, the liabilities of having them, etc. and with MCO it's like "Oh, just go to the airport website and see about getting a permit" then you go to the site and it actually says "for plane spotting".

Hilarious indeed.

Zee71
2011-03-23, 07:30 PM
Common sense is not a common term with PAPD I guess.

Sharpshooter
2011-03-29, 08:44 PM
Don't waste your time with MCO. The red lot parking area has been closed for a while now. This was "the spot" at MCO. All the other spots are either (1) boring, or (2) asking to be chased away by ignorant OPD cops. Head over to Tampa. Friendly to spotters there and more interesting views to be had.

microlight
2011-04-10, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys , gave KMCO a miss and concentrated on Sun n Fun , managed to get plenty of civvy shots whilst waiting to depart KMCO on Virgin Atlantic late yesterday afternoon from the boarding gate area - had a TSA Official sat right behind me all time who clocked what I was doing but he watched me for at least 45 minutes like a hawk but didn't tell me to stop - I think common sense prevailed and he knew I was a Brit spotter/photographer that meant no harm.

Went to my favourite airport - Kissimmee , which is now worse than ever for photo opportunities , Signature now conveniently park hire cars on the airside grass to make photography impossible of their busy ramp - Turkish CL601 on the ramp , two T-45 Goshawks and and private Mohawk yesterday parked .....:mad:

Sun n Fun was great apart from the Tornado and sad sight of damaged aircraft.