PDA

View Full Version : NY traffic on Mondays

steve1840
2011-03-08, 12:33 PM
Just curious as to what the traffic would be like for me coming from CT to get to JFK on a monday morning and heading back to CT on monday afternoon. I'm thinking of taking the day off from work on monday to come down and catch the Lufthansa A380 since the weather is supposed to be nice and the predicted winds are making me think that they will be using the 4s.

Anyway, would I be better off leaving real early (as I normally do when I come down) to beat the traffic and get to the NY area around 6am? If I were to stay for the Lufthansa A380, what would the traffic be like getting out of the area and back over the Throgs Neck or Whitestone? Also, what is traffic like around the airport (Rockaway Blvd) on a weekday?

NIKV69
2011-03-08, 12:51 PM
LH400 is a 1:40 arrival no? You don't want 4s for that. As for traffic I would imagine the CT turnpike would be an issue during rush but I am of the opinion of leaving as early as possible. I mean your coming to JFK anyway why not beat traffic and shoot sunrise which gives you great light then shoot the 380 and skidaddle to get over the bridge and back on the CT Tpk before afternoon rush. Rockaway Blvd midday should be fine.

steve1840
2011-03-08, 12:59 PM
You're right, the LH400 is a 1:40 arrival. Now that I think about it at that time of the day the sun would be shining down the back of the plane if not starting to go around the backside if theyre using the 4's. Maybe I'd get lucky and they would switch to the 31s around noon, then I should have no problem getting well lit shot of the A380. I do plan on trying to get down for sunrise, as I usually do. I definitely would be lookingforward to taking a day off from work to enjoy a good solid 8 hours of spotting!

moose135
2011-03-08, 03:09 PM
I do plan on trying to get down for sunrise, as I usually do.
Bonus - DST starts this weekend, sunrise on Monday (http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=New%20York,%20New%20Yo rk;73.9439;40.6698;-5;1&want_mphase=1&month=3&year=2011&time_type=0) is 7:10am, so you can sleep in! :wink: I might even get out for some sunrise shooting next week.

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-08, 03:12 PM
Driving down to JFK at 6am would definitely be best for you and not too bad (I drive to JFK at 5:15am each morning from near the Whitestone Bridge), and I'd recommend trying to head back north before 3pm, and not later than 4pm. After that....I'd stay at JFK until like 7pm to save yourself the hassle which will mostly be 30 minutes on the Van Wyck north and about a month and a half on the bridge.

steve1840
2011-03-08, 03:21 PM
Bonus - DST starts this weekend, sunrise on Monday (http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=New%20York,%20New%20Yo rk;73.9439;40.6698;-5;1&want_mphase=1&month=3&year=2011&time_type=0) is 7:10am, so you can sleep in! :wink: I might even get out for some sunrise shooting next week.

I would be able to get up at my normal weekday time instead of the 3:00am that I have been for coming down to spot at JFK. Maybe I would get up early though to beat traffic. Ifthe sun wasn't up when I got there I could always get breakfast at one of the many great dinners there near the airport.

Driving down to JFK at 6am would definitely be best for you and not too bad (I drive to JFK at 5:15am each morning from near the Whitestone Bridge), and I'd recommend trying to head back north before 3pm, and not later than 4pm. After that....I'd stay at JFK until like 7pm to save yourself the hassle which will mostly be 30 minutes on the Van Wyck north and about a month and a half on the bridge.

I agree Phil, and if I come on a monday I would definitely want be headed back by 2 -3 at the latest. Any other day of the week staying til 7 or so sounds great to catch some of those later arrivals. Sitting in traffic on one of those bridges is not fun. I've done it one too many times, even though no where's near the amount of times as you guys I'm sure.

CX777
2011-03-09, 11:07 PM
Steve,
After years of spotting trips to Kennedy, I now always make it a full day. Pleasant Valley(at the end of Rt8) to JFK is about 130 miles, so usually leave at 4:00 and arrive about 5:30. Always take I-95. Get breakfast @ the diner and start the morning. Heading back about 7pm (Van wyck is clogged up after 4pm to the bridge) and cross Greenwich about 8 when traffic is no problem. And since I come up north all the way, usually will get traffic update while crossing the bridge and then will split either to I-95 or Parkway. If I wake up even 1/2 late, I call it a day but never leave at 5am from Pleasant Valley as the I-95 is just horrible all the way down on weekday mornings.

steve1840
2011-03-09, 11:28 PM
Steve,
After years of spotting trips to Kennedy, I now always make it a full day. Pleasant Valley(at the end of Rt8) to JFK is about 130 miles, so usually leave at 4:00 and arrive about 5:30. Always take I-95. Get breakfast @ the diner and start the morning. Heading back about 7pm (Van wyck is clogged up after 4pm to the bridge) and cross Greenwich about 8 when traffic is no problem. And since I come up north all the way, usually will get traffic update while crossing the bridge and then will split either to I-95 or Parkway. If I wake up even 1/2 late, I call it a day but never leave at 5am from Pleasant Valley as the I-95 is just horrible all the way down on weekday mornings.

Yeah, living out herer in eastern CT, the two trips Ive made down to JFK for spotting so far have been on Saturdays, but I've still left no later than 4:30. The last trip I made I lefft at 3:30 and got there a little before 6:00. Traffic hasn't been too bad on Saturdays getting back, but I am not looking forward to the weekday traffic when I go there next week. I think I definitely will hang around til about 8:00. Stick around and grab something to eat before heading back home.

Matt Molnar
2011-03-10, 12:50 AM
Just a reminder, the LH A380 is not flying regular service to JFK until March 27th. It will appear this Friday, March 11th, but until the 27th flight 400 will continue to be operated by the A333.