PDA

View Full Version : JFK tomorrow?? (3/5)

steve1840
2011-03-04, 10:25 AM
Is anybody planning on heading out tomorrow to JFK? I was planning on coming down next saturday but just checked the weather reports and see that they are expecting showers next weekend. Tomorrow is supposed to be mostly cloudy and 51 deg, so I'm thinking that tomorrow would be my best bet.

Guess I would rather have clouds and marginal light over rain and horrible light.

Roush6NY
2011-03-04, 10:35 AM
Steve, I'm ready to be out all day tomorrow, 54 and a mix of sun and clouds, Sunday looks like a wash out but hey they said the same thing about last Sunday and it turned out to be a perfect day, so we'll see

steve1840
2011-03-04, 10:42 AM
Kaz - I'll PM you with my cell number. If you're out tomorrow, shoot me a text and we can coordinate something.

I'm going to keep checking the weather reports all day today before I make my final decision, but it's looking more and more like I'll be ready to show up at JFK around 6:30-7:00. Probably turn the scanner on around the Whitestone Br to figure out where I'm going to start the day from. As I did last time, I'll probably start out at HoBe for some morning 31L departures. Right now winds are forecast tomorrow out of the SSE @ 17mph, so I'm thinking they'll be using the 22s a bit tomorrow. I'll have to check Flightstats.com and see what the queue is looking like for tomorrow to plan my day a little also. Hope to meet up with some of you guys this trip down.

moose135
2011-03-04, 11:27 AM
I should be out for much of the day, with a few out-of-town friends. Expect to be at JFK by 10am.

RomNYC
2011-03-04, 11:33 AM
If anyone's willing to take my 3 midterms for me next week, then I'll see you guys tomorrow :biggrin:

steve1840
2011-03-04, 11:36 AM
Moose - I'll be in a green Dodge pick-up with CT plates. If the go to the 31s I'll probably be at Panera against the fence.

moose135
2011-03-04, 11:57 AM
If anyone's willing to take my 3 midterms for me next week, then I'll see you guys tomorrow :biggrin:
No problem...although I make no guarantee on what grades you'll get - it's been a long time since I was in school. :rolleyes:

And you all know my ride (http://www.moose135photography.com/Cars/Where-in-the-World/4703383_4mz39#93590858_sB56F)...

steve1840
2011-03-04, 12:04 PM

Bring your books with you and study between planes. It'd be like a really awesome study group!

steve1840
2011-03-04, 03:22 PM
Just out of curiosity......

I was just looking at the HoBe area on google maps. Has anybody ever hiked over to the other side of the metro tracks and spotted/photographed from there? Not sure if this is a sensitive question. Just in case, please answer via PM. I was thinking about making that hike tomorrow when I come down since it seems as though it would provide a good view.

RomNYC
2011-03-04, 04:29 PM
Since the area is a wildlife refuge, I don't think that human presence outside the parking lot would be well received...

NoGreenBox
2011-03-04, 04:44 PM
Steve,

I just wanted to second what Rom said about that area. PAPD has heavilly invested in security around there and the Parks Police is active as well-- both in terms of land and water based units. The other issue is that Transit Authority property goes through there as well. So, its kind of treacherous ground.

I will also be out (possibly) tomorrow afternoon, but have to be into work by 6pm. Will be good to see Kaz again, hope we luck out with the weather like last week and that any NYPD encounters are equally smooth.

Chris

TSGSpotting
2011-03-04, 05:19 PM
we'll see if I go or not....its 50-50.

Roush6NY
2011-03-04, 05:56 PM
I will also be out (possibly) tomorrow afternoon, but have to be into work by 6pm. Will be good to see Kaz again, hope we luck out with the weather like last week and that any NYPD encounters are equally smooth.

Chris

Chris, Same her bud ... Hope to see you out there Tomorrow

NLovis
2011-03-04, 08:29 PM
I might possibly be out as well. Work is actually at a decent time tomorrow so lets see if I can get up. I just got up now from slepping after a big graveyard shift :tongue:

steve1840
2011-03-04, 08:29 PM
Thats some good info guys. I wasn't sure how it worked there being a wildlife refuge. Up here they don't mind people hiking in the refuges, but I will err on the side of caution and not stray too far from the parking lot. Maybe just wander down to the waters edge.

On a separate note, I hope to see you guys out there tomorrow. Will be good to finally put some faces to the names.

gonzalu
2011-03-05, 02:09 AM
I would not go past the little fence just south of the Port-A-Potty. It is not clearly labeled due to weather but the signs say NO TRESPASSING, NESTING MIGRATORY BIRDS, etc. etc.

The other side of the tracks should be an OK spot from the perspective of it being a National Park. Never saw a sign saying not allowed to go there. Your problem will be getting past the tracks (heavily fenced in, high voltage that kills on contacts, the tides if deciding on going under, etc.) and the before mentioned wildlife restriction.
Finally, the land moves away from 31L/13R and not closer once you get on the other side. It may not be as ok as you think.

Also check out Wikipedia here re: some old fishing grounds and actual subway stops to get off :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_Creek_%28LIRR_station%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raunt_%28LIRR_station%29