PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me

mirrodie
2011-02-26, 10:23 AM
http://www.airliners.net/photo/SBA-Airlines-(SmartLynx/Boeing-767-3Y0-ER/1872916/L/

On the whole, I love this photo. I dont feel that photos have to be tack sharp in order to convey a certain feeling or meaning.

That said, had I taken this image, I personally would not have bothered to upload it to Anet thinking it would be rejected for heat haze or grain.

This is an education for me. See how the wings are not straight edged? Isnt that an example of haze? or grain? I am asking for what the subtle difference is.

Or is this an example of Anets policy of 'artsy' photos where grain or haze are overlooked and instead the geshalt of the entire image was accepted?

BTW, I have to imply the following adamantly: Were it MY website, I LOVE the shot and the photography. Carlos' eye and quality is not what I am questioning nor bashing.

To be blunt, I am asking is
a) isnt that heat haze and/ or glare
b) has Anet finally been able to loose the trees for the forest, accepting the geshalt of the entire image for what it is? If so, that is cool that such shots can be shared.

As far as if Carlos' gets special treatment, who knows and who cares. That is entirely irrelevant. That is Anet's choice and what they do/ dont do is their business.

lijk604
2011-02-26, 10:40 AM
Mario, I'm not an Anet expert by far, but this was probably accepted due to the photographer who took the shot.
I agree with you, this is a great shot, and I love it, even with the heat haze. However I'm sure if it were I who uploaded the picture, it surely would have been rejected.

gonzalu
2011-02-26, 11:21 AM
Damn!!!! Mario, You stole my thunder. I was going to ask the same question but decided against any bashing for better or worse! I can tell you I have many many rejections for far less heat haze from Bayswater to 4L departure blocks. I am certain Carlos gets preferential treatment in this case and/or the image content overrides the quality in this case... and it is indeed a sweet capture!

However, I love those acceptances because I can then use them to my advantage when appealing :cool:

mattdueck
2011-02-26, 11:26 AM
Couldnt agree more. Sweet shot. Its like one I took last weekend. It was more of a side shot of a plane rotating. After reviewing all the ones I took, the one that was the "money shot" of the bunch, had heat haze on it. I had to look really close to find it. So the one I uploaded to Flickr was heat haze free. My two cents.

Matt

JDANDO
2011-02-26, 11:30 AM
It is a good shot, great timing/composition. It does have a lot of heat haze. Oh, well. The world is seldom black and white.

NIKV69
2011-02-26, 12:15 PM
I think heat haze is given a lot more of a pass from that angle and that close. Carlos' last name doesn't hurt either but it got the hits which is what the site wants.

megatop412
2011-02-26, 12:16 PM
This was the last ever shot I tried uploading to anet. It was from last summer. I figured, even though there was a little haze, the suject was close enough and the composition fairly interesting enough that it should pass, given the astronomical number of side-on airliner shots that get accepted under the same circumstances. It was not to be. Not to restart the whole anti-anet thread up again, but this is why I no longer upload to anything but my own site.
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/476411/20100612/121224.jpg

mirrodie
2011-02-26, 12:20 PM
Nick, I couldn't agree with you more. As you know, I really dont love doing side ons, so I really look forward to angled shots. But that is really a function, I feel, of starting out with railroad shots and always leading the engine.

I never started with the 50mm side on but I've come to appreciate it.

And yes, money shots. :wink:

jerslice
2011-02-26, 01:04 PM
It's haze, definitely. The nose and tail are much sharper / more defined than the wings which are getting hazed out both by jetblast and heat from the runway. It's nice to see a shot on there that accepts reality!

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-26, 07:25 PM
I don't understand why Carlos would get preferential treatment. Can anyone explain that?

It's definitely haze. I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted because the composition is nice, low tail makes it exciting, nice angle, the rest of the photo is clear for what couldn't be control by the heat.

NIKV69
2011-02-26, 09:59 PM
This was the last ever shot I tried uploading to anet. It was from last summer. I figured, even though there was a little haze, the suject was close enough and the composition fairly interesting enough that it should pass, given the astronomical number of side-on airliner shots that get accepted under the same circumstances. It was not to be. Not to restart the whole anti-anet thread up again, but this is why I no longer upload to anything but my own site.

That shot was probably rejected for other quality issues and isn't even close to starting a "I hate anet because they only accept shots from certain people" thread. No offense.

I don't understand why Carlos would get preferential treatment. Can anyone explain that?

It's definitely haze. I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted because the composition is nice, low tail makes it exciting, nice angle, the rest of the photo is clear for what couldn't be control by the heat.

It's not that he is getting preferential treatment. Probably more along of the lines of getting the benefit of the doubt in certain situations like this out of the fact he doesn't constantly whine and bitch about his rejections.

lijk604
2011-02-27, 09:56 AM

Phil I think Nick hit it on the head. Carlos has over a 1000 photos in the database and is a respected member there. My comment was not meant to be an Anet bash, it was just to say that with his over a thousand uploads, he shots are probably, can't say for sure because I do not know, less scrutinized than mine, who has fewer than 50 shots there. I for one am glad to see that shot make it in, I think it's an outstanding capture even with the heat haze on the wings.

NIKV69
2011-02-27, 12:10 PM
Phil I think Nick hit it on the head. Carlos has over a 1000 photos in the database and is a respected member there. My comment was not meant to be an Anet bash, it was just to say that with his over a thousand uploads, he shots are probably, can't say for sure because I do not know, less scrutinized than mine, who has fewer than 50 shots there. I for one am glad to see that shot make it in, I think it's an outstanding capture even with the heat haze on the wings.

Well put John, also remember screeners are human beings and as such will sub-consciously behave in a way that will always give a photog they know, respect and has not publicly slagged them or sent them nasty email. Just ask yourself if you were screening and had a certain individual that has constanty called you out in the forums, sent you nasty, insulting emails uploads a photo that is close? Then someone who doesn't and treats you with respect that you also respect does the same?