PDA

View Full Version : bayswater park

mcfcmike
2011-02-22, 05:44 PM
will be visiting jfk in september can you tell if you are still allowed to take photos in bayswater park.

RomNYC
2011-02-22, 05:49 PM
Not for commercial purposes, from what I've read.

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-22, 05:51 PM
....but if just for hobby, then yes you can.

RomNYC
2011-02-22, 05:53 PM
....but if just for hobby, then yes you can.

Hehe, I was waiting for one of the forum's gurus to confirm since I very rarely go to Bayswater :)

mcfcmike
2011-02-22, 05:54 PM
thanks guys for your replys

mcfcmike
2011-02-22, 05:55 PM
i heard that it was closed.

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-22, 07:03 PM
It had been closed for 3 weeks or so over a year ago. It's wide open now. Just follow standard park rules.

chrisparypa
2011-02-22, 07:37 PM
Last time I was trying to spott some planes from bayswater in January, the gate was locked.... sometimes it's open sometimes it's not... maybe it was just because of the snow etc, Hope to see Bayswater open at all; the times

steve1840
2011-02-23, 08:47 AM
Last time I was trying to spott some planes from bayswater in January, the gate was locked.... sometimes it's open sometimes it's not... maybe it was just because of the snow etc, Hope to see Bayswater open at all; the times

I tried going there the 2nd weekend in Feb and it was locked. I hope its open next time I come down, which will hopefully be in March after DST when we get an extra hour of daylight and my taxes come in.

gonzalu
2011-02-23, 09:01 AM
The way Bayswater Park works as far as the gate is concerned, a local neighbor takes care of opening and closing the gate on a daily basis. The NY State Parks Department also has the keys of course and they may or may not do it during times when the neighbor is not able to (Vacation, Sickness, etc.) and also control when it should or should not be opened. This is from a phone call I placed to the NY State Parks office about 6 months ago when it was closed for a few days straight.

I have spotted there quite a few times including way into the evening hours (official hours) and not once did I feel unsafe or did anyone approach to ask me about what I was doing or otherwise.

The fishermen are extremely brave (braver than me) about the weather and very very friendly... however the placement of their poles can sometimes be a problem depending on your position and shooting angle.

For the best observation of the ground operations, tower and IAT/Delta, Bayswater is hard to beat!

Oh, don;t forget it is FAR from the actual runways and airport so you need a long tele. While RWY 4R is close to you, 4L is a ways off and you will need a 400mm on a crop sensor for tight shots. The new perimeter fence is high enough to block wheels and there is a lot of heat shimmer on busy days if using 4L for departures.

Zee71
2011-02-27, 07:40 PM
Tried going to Bayswater Park today (2/27) to shoot some departures from 22R, but the gate was closed. I guess it's hit or miss for now.

gonzalu
2011-02-27, 09:01 PM
Would be nice to know if it was open or not without having to go all the way down there (PITA if a miss) like a Web Cam on the gate :tongue:

NIKV69
2011-02-28, 12:57 AM
I would imagine with the wx improving we should see the park open more, the fisherman will make a huge stink in 2 weeks if its a warm morning.