PDA

View Full Version : NYCAviation Update and Info

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-17, 02:43 PM
I wanted to give everyone a peak at NYCA's operation and what we have in store for you. There's a lot going on at any given moment and there are many people working hard to bring you content and features intended to make your hobby easier.

When you see great photo coverage of something like the Boeing 747-8i from this past weekend, it's not the result of a good spotting location, being in the right place at the right time, or because one email was sent to the right guy for permission. Jeremy, who is our Program Coordinator, plays a tremendous role. He spends his time forming close relationships with industry experts, recruiting writers and photographers, and assigning them to various events, briefing them, debriefing them, relaying info to me and to Matt to coordinate live or asap coverage that gets read by many thousands. Those coverage articles take a lot of work and Jeremy spends a lot of time working on that, and that's all over the nation, not just in Seattle. He coordinates coverage for here in New York, too. I hope you guys get to go check out the articles that we post on a very regular basis.

Aside from just our news coverage in articles, everything else we do has not gone unnoticed. The top people in our industry, whether they are aviation media folks like FlightGlobal, Boeing executives, airline execs, whoever you can think of...all know NYCAviation and hold us in high regard. Who thought our little local spotting forum would grow to get notoriety such as to be picked as one of 10 must-follow travel twitterers alongside ABC, MSNBC, AP, USA today and Gadling? That just happened this morning, and it's a trend that's not uncommon for us.

We're also working on new features. I know I've said it before and was hoping we'd have been live with them at this time, but we want to make sure that what we launch with will be strong and functional and exactly what we envisioned. I don't want to halfass anything and I want to make sure that when something is created intended to serve you, that it truly serves you. I communicate constantly with Matt and our programmer (Darin) and our designer (Shawn) to see how we're doing, get updates, work issues, find solutions and collaborate as a team to create something that I think you all will love.

Once this feature launches, it won't end. That's only phase 1. We have several phases that we plan on completing this year. Revisions to existing features and the addition of new ones is going to be a continuous process so as to remain ahead of the technology curve always.

I say all of these above items, not to brag, but because I want you to know and believe that when you see us working hard on stuff for the site, it's for the end result of serving you. All of that offers a way to provide things back to all of you...the aviation enthusiasts that are taking pictures, listening to ATC, tracking planes, keeping up with industry news, just watching the skies or practicing your passion for aviation in and form that you choose.

I will say that there are other sites out there that are NOT geared toward enthusiasts and are not looking out for your interests. We're teaming up with multiple websites that DO have your interests in mind...and this is because we actually have the same interests...in aviation, not corporate profit. The goal is to reduce the amount of websites that you have bookmarked so that what you use for your hobby is in a one-stop shop that's made for you guys, not made for others in the industry that only happen to be "usable" by enthusiasts.

Ok, now enough of this stuff, go back to watching the planes.

-Phil

gonzalu
2011-02-17, 03:28 PM
Spotting wouldn't be as much fun alone or without a place to share the experience. So this site is as much a part of it for me as the other half... Without the forum, it would not complete the hobby for me. I am grateful.

Now, you need to look into features that can help us SPOT. I can;t tell you how difficult it can be at times to juggle between Web Pages, iPhone Apps, Scanner, Binocs, etc. just to properly track a plane and capture it :tongue: There, my first request LOL.

Thanks Phil and Team!!

Derf
2011-02-17, 03:42 PM
OUTSTANDING! Thank You...all who make this possible!

steve1840
2011-02-17, 03:51 PM
Definitely a BIG thank you to Phil and Jeremy and the entire team that make this not only a great web site and forum, but a great resource as well. If it were not for NYC Aviation, I don't believe i would have ever thought about going out and photographing airliners. And I definitely would not be up to date on all that is going on in the aviation world. Keep it up guys!!

megatop412
2011-02-17, 04:56 PM
This site has gone from being checked on a weekly or so basis to an everyday basis, because of how well organized everything is and how relevant it is. Phil and the team have made us feel like this is a family of like-minded enthusiasts, and they didn't have to do that.

Great job Phil/Jeremy/Matt- the least I can do is buy you a round next time we find ourselves at the same watering hole.

William

Zee71
2011-02-17, 06:39 PM
To all the guys behind the scenes.......a much deserved thank you, I'm sure I speak for the others as well. I too constantly like to check the site often as well to see what the latest news is, who posted what, etc.. It's great to see a well organized site, forum and individuals who are passionate about their aviation and photography.

Thanks again guys!!!!

Steven Holzinger
2011-02-17, 08:21 PM
FANTASTIC JOB GUYS!!!

Hey Phil... I think it would be wise to share this format of the forums with the AirShowBuzz team! They rolled out a new website and the forums there are FUBAR!!!

Spunker
2011-02-17, 09:00 PM
Thanks to everyone involved in making this one helluva site!
Gene

Art at ISP
2011-02-17, 09:06 PM
Well done Phil and team!! I posted a link from the news this morning!

mirrodie
2011-02-17, 10:20 PM
Awesome Phil! Your website is a joy and really brings out the fun in this hobby.

NLovis
2011-02-18, 03:27 AM
Cudos to everyone behind the scenes here. It wouldnt be NYCA without the great team we have. Here is to the future. :cool:

sporky
2011-02-18, 04:16 PM
I, for one, am very proud to be a part of this community. Back in the day, prior to finding this site, aviation enthusiasts I ran into around this area were very friendly and I always enjoyed meeting new AvGeeks. That continued with my finding of this site, which is the first place in the morning I head to online to see what happened overnight (even before checking email or showering :cool:). I used to be flaky with sites that I ran across, frequenting them for awhile but eventually becoming disenchanted with them, but I have been an active member of this site since I joined in March 09' and will continue to be for a long time.

Everything Phil/Matt/Jeremy and everyone else involved with the site have done I can tell is for us enthusiasts and not for personal gain. I am very proud to represent NYCAviation whenever I have the opprotunity, but that does not stop me from promoting the greatness of the site when I head out for a normal day of spotting either. Keep up the GREAT work guys, it is definitely appreciated!

-Tad

steve1840
2011-02-18, 04:22 PM
I, for one, am very proud to be a part of this community. Back in the day, prior to finding this site, aviation enthusiasts I ran into around this area were very friendly and I always enjoyed meeting new AvGeeks. That continued with my finding of this site, which is the first place in the morning I head to online to see what happened overnight (even before checking email or showering :cool:). I used to be flaky with sites that I ran across, frequenting them for awhile but eventually becoming disenchanted with them, but I have been an active member of this site since I joined in March 09' and will continue to be for a long time.

Everything Phil/Matt/Jeremy and everyone else involved with the site have done I can tell is for us enthusiasts and not for personal gain. I am very proud to represent NYCAviation whenever I have the opprotunity, but that does not stop me from promoting the greatness of the site when I head out for a normal day of spotting either. Keep up the GREAT work guys, it is definitely appreciated!

-Tad

I couldn't agree with you more Tad. This site is the first thing I do when I get to work in the morning. On a typical day that the office, I usually spend at least the first 45 mins looking through the site. And then NYC Aviation stays open in my browser all day long so I can easily click it open and see what else is new, which is usually about every half hour. As are you Tad, as I am sure many many many others on this site are, I am proud to be a part of NYC Aviation.com.

Delta777LR
2011-02-19, 08:15 PM
When I discovered this site along time ago, I never thought I would fit in. But this site has been very helpful on keeping up with aviation updates, and also if it wasnt for this site, I would have never been spotting as much as I do now and hanging and comunicating with other spotters.. Im proud to be a member of NYCAviation.com and it will be in my blood for along time.. A big thanks to Phil, Matt and for those who made this site possible...