PDA

View Full Version : Photography Protection

Derf
2011-02-09, 05:00 PM
While not on a secure airport ramp I can sometimes be worried about my surroundings. When in Manhattan or Brooklyn at 2 am by myself with a few grand of equipment, it can get a little scary at times. I usually will have my Sigma flash at full power ready for a strobe just incase.

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/1182673410_L5d6m-XL.jpg

Last year my friend asked me why I was carrying around my flash with my camera in the bag. It was 2 am and I requested he attack me. He gave me a puzzled look with the deer and headlight "HUH?". I asked again that he attack me and with a smile on his face he reached ever so gently up SMACK! I popped my flash in his eyes. He hit the ground screaming. I learned this from my good friend Moose by accidentally strobe-ing him every time we went out night shooting. Sorry Moose!

So last night I get an email from my friend that he was in central park taking some NYC shots and a man grabbed his bag but he did not let go...when he pulled the flash the guy was looking right at it from 6 inches away. He did not fight as he hit the ground. My friend walked away with his camera equipment.

At work I hit the back of my arm with a full strobe about a year ago and left a brown mark and all the hair in the area the size of a quarter burnt, curled and fell off. The brown mark turned into a burn and took about 2 weeks to heal. If I blasted the palm of my hand it would get real hot real fast and would not burn. There are many more skin layers on the palm of your hand and that is why it does not burn.

So I have been sick the last few days and now on meds from the doctor for the stomach bug going around.... today I hit the flash in the palm of my hand after telling the story about my friend that we used to work with in the city and BAM.... my skin turned brown and started to smoke!!! It smelt like burnt skin and did not leave any lasting marks...So I DID IT AGAIN...Like 4 times! FREAKY! Here is a pic of what it looked like!

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/1182673487_kH32z-L.jpg

moose135
2011-02-09, 05:04 PM
... my skin turned brown and started to smoke!!! It smelt like burnt skin and did not leave any lasting marks...So I DID IT AGAIN...Like 4 times! FREAKY!
There's something not right about you, Fred. :wink:

Derf
2011-02-09, 05:39 PM
allot more than one thing Moose....and the other day on a photography forum I go to they had just started a topic on this! Freaky how it all happened at the same time!

threeholerglory
2011-02-09, 08:05 PM
I discovered a new way to trigger flash off camera....just turn it on and lick the hot shoe...you'll get a nice jolt and the flash goes off...what could be better? Sadly I'm not joking.

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-09, 08:16 PM
Uh, Fred, what's with the 5-inch cannon shell in your bag?

Derf
2011-02-10, 10:17 PM
Uh, Fred, what's with the 5-inch cannon shell in your bag?

Always be prepared! Ya never know!