PDA

View Full Version : Finding out Tail #'s

steve1840
2011-01-14, 11:02 AM
Hey guys, I have what is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.....

I love spotting, but have never really been organized past the point of knowing which type of plane is associated with the flights.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is how do you guys find out which Tail # is assigned to the flight numbers?

I have read some of your posts on the forum about knwoing when a particular scheme is coming through the airport, for example "Illinois One" or the "F1" A340. I'm curious because I am compiling a list of the schemes that I would like to get pics of and as I will be traveling a little this year am trying to plan ahead and find out if maybe I will come across any of these schemes during my travels to a half dozen or so different airports.

Thanks for the help guys.

sporky
2011-01-14, 03:36 PM
There are a couple different approaches:

1. A bit of research at first, but going to A.net or JP can garner the registrations of the planes you want. Then go to acarsd.org and do a search for those registrations. The only problem with this approach is that not all airlines use ACARS, notable Southwest uses a different system, and since acarsd.org uses acars decoders from users all over the world the coverage is not always 100%.

2. Flightaware is getting more and more airlines involved in being able to track via registration number. Not sure of the exact number of airlines that can be tracked that way currently, but I know Continental and Delta for sure can be tracked.

3. Develop contacts at other cities that might be able to give you a heads up of a special coming in.

4. Get lucky. Just go out spotting for the day and pray the spotting gods are looking over you.

Hope this helps.

-Tad

steve1840
2011-01-14, 03:45 PM
Thanks Tad. That actually does help. A.net is actually where I discovered a lot of the schemes that I would like to photograph myself.

Tomorrow I'm flying southwest so hopefully I'll either end up on one of their special paint schemes or see one when I pass through BWI on my way home sunday. And I'm going through PHL on my way out so hopefully I'll catch one of USAirways NFL schemes or at least catch one this summer when I fly USAirways to Reno and back.