PDA

View Full Version : I'm sitting in a chair...in the SKY

PhilDernerJr
2011-01-01, 07:41 PM
I an sitting in seat 22A on MD-88 N962DL as Delta flight 79 from JFK-MCO, and it's the first time that I've experienced internet in the air.

One thing that's cool is that I'm connected through my blackberry (cell phone off, wifi only). It was also the first time I took off on 31L since its paving.

We took a 25 minutes delay due to late arrival of the aircraft because of delays JFK was experiencing on arrivals thanks to congestion.

Just a little mini inflight trip report. I just declined beverage service because I chugged a V8 and I'm now about to ask the people next to me if I can get up to go potty.

heeshung
2011-01-01, 07:46 PM
Louis C.K. :smile:

Fighting_falcon_51
2011-01-01, 07:46 PM
Enjoy your trip, Phil!

mirrodie
2011-01-02, 10:38 AM
Phil, your thread title can tune to:tongue: "double, double rainbow."

flyboy 28
2011-01-02, 11:57 AM
I got a chance to experience my first airborne Wifi last week through DL, too (PHL-ATL-PNS). As I recall, Delta was running some promo over the holidays. It's pretty neat, and even neater to be able to track yourself on Flightaware! :)

Delta777LR
2011-01-02, 12:15 PM
I got shots of N962DL at LGA gotta search for that.. safe flight Phil

gonzalu
2011-01-02, 12:41 PM
In flight Wi-Fi is very cool... but it still has very poor RTT and thus is very poor for voice calls of any kind... once they figure out how to reduce ping times you will see a huge increase in in-flight calls :-)

Safe flying!

moose135
2011-01-02, 04:33 PM
...once they figure out how to reduce ping times you will see a huge increase in in-flight calls :-)
Just what we need - like loud cell phone conversations on the LIRR aren't bad enough.

megatop412
2011-01-03, 12:31 AM
Just what we need - like loud cell phone conversations on the LIRR aren't bad enough.

Oh my God, are you kidding me??? Can you imagine how much more aggravating it's going to be stuck in a tube with a bunch of idiots (both adolescents AND adults) yakking away on phone calls, about nothing that nobody needs to know? Screw the TSA and their new fondling program, this is the reason I would stop flying. Hopefully some airline will get a clue and not allow this. I for one HOPE that whatever Manny is talking about with ping times doesn't get fixed. I'll be the guy shouting at people to shut up so I can listen to my Pratts in peace.

They better put that old guy that punched that kid on the no-fly list, and quick, or someone's gonna get knocked the eff out

gonzalu
2011-01-03, 09:14 AM
Well, I want reduced RTT for gaming hahahaa. All kidding aside, this is exactly what most people want... to be able to use their Skype from 30,000' ... as Moose said, the LIRR has this problem and so did Metro North so much so that they now have assigned cars that are NOISE FREE!!

Business will do what customers want. We have to sort of adapt and adjust around that inevitability. I personally enjoy having cell service on the tunnels now.. and would love to be able to make a quick phone call in-flight from my own phone.

I believe that micro cells are being tested in-flight (if not available already) regardless of VoIP ... that is just the way of technology.

megatop412
2011-01-03, 02:42 PM
I have to risk sounding like an old fart here: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. We all know that 99% of the calls that will happen are completely unnecessary. Because people have been getting by just fine without it until now. The world has kept turning and no one has died because calls could not be made.

The least they can do if they make this happen(and I agree, they will because of business) is carve out a part of the plane for people to talk on the phone. Make them get on the galley elevator and go down to the hold, perhaps. Because there is no way to make a "quiet car" on an airplane. We expect people to not take calls in the theater because we paid for a certain product. Why will there no longer be the same expectation on an airplane? We outlawed smoking on planes because it was a nuisance- now we want to replace it with another nuisance?

Gaming(with headphones)= cool

Web surfing= cool

Yakety yak yak yak about where you ate last night and what your ex is asking for in the settlement and why your boss is a jerk and why people should just forgive Michael Vick and how your pap smear went= the furthest you could possibly get from cool

kc2aqg
2011-01-03, 05:48 PM
Phil, I'm just amazed you can fit in 22A on an MD-88 comfortably...

PhilDernerJr
2011-01-04, 05:18 PM
Haha, Actually, Andy, it wasn't horrible. Heck, keep in mind I would sleep for up to a week in an economy seat on a 757 for work years ago, so I can be "comfy" anywhere. Which brings me to my next point...

I flew back home today on JetBlue JAX-JFK on an E190 (N306JB). What a WORLD of a difference. Huge increase in leg-room over the DL MD-88. I had also forgotten about the TVs. For me, I usually fly just to get to where I want to go, and I'll love the flying experience no matter what, but JetBlue blew it away. Is the pitch any better on Delta's new 737s?