PDA

View Full Version : RDU Observation Deck

gonzalu
2010-12-30, 01:22 PM
Been to RDU many many times and never even considered spotting there (or anywhere else I have been to for that matter)

Seems like a great place to spot

http://www.rdu.com/whileatairport/obpark.htm

Anyone here ever been? I usually see MIA/FLL, SEA, LAX, JFK (of course), LAS, ANC etc... but seems that RDU is got a great place to spot from!

Roush6NY
2010-12-30, 01:52 PM
That is pretty sweet. Wish JFK had something like that !!!

gonzalu
2010-12-30, 02:11 PM
No kidding!! Indeed they have it done right as also many other places like Charlotte/Douglas International Airport (CLT) and overlook park.

Zee71
2010-12-30, 08:35 PM
That is sweet! Believe it or not, but next I'll be flying to DFW and connecting through RDU. Unfortunately, I won't have much of a layover, but I might try to take some shot if time permits. I think a solution for us spotters here would be have a mobile scaffolding, and we can erect it as high as needed. LoL

Mateo
2010-12-31, 06:33 PM
The little shelter itself is pretty nice; you're about midfield overlooking 5L/23R. Unfortunately, the one time I was there was in rain and fog, so I went there just to see what the view was like and then headed off to my eventual destination in Chapel Hill. RDU is also pretty slow, so have some patience if you go there to shoot.

gonzalu
2010-12-31, 08:01 PM
Yeah I imagine it is a bit slow but, it does serve the capital and one of the country's best college towns so it should get some traffic sometimes during the year.

Thanks all

:redface:

adscram14
2011-01-01, 02:03 AM
No kidding!! Indeed they have it done right as also many other places like Charlotte/Douglas International Airport (CLT) and overlook park.

Yessir! You guys should come down and visit for a little spotting trip here. Theres a constant flow of US domestic and a little US international with the occasional charter. It's really a great spot and airport.