PDA

View Full Version : Wont Turn Off Phone? POW!!

Gerard
2010-12-29, 11:37 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/12/29/2010-12-29_hero_or_villain_irate_elderly_flyer_punches_tee n_who_didnt_turn_off_iphone_for_p.html

NIKV69
2010-12-30, 12:57 AM
Though I hate cell phones on planes this man crossed the line. Big time.

puckstopper55
2010-12-30, 09:20 AM
I think this old geezer really over reacted, even if he just "tapped" the kid. I believe its been proven that even a cell phone in normal operation mode wont cause any interference with the planes electronics (which I believe are heavily shielded). I think the mythbusters even ramped this up and still couldn't do anything.
with that said, I bet this kid had the device in airplane mode, and was just doing what kids do. I think this old man thought the plane would crash into the ground, and just went crazy.

Derf
2010-12-30, 11:17 AM
what if it was in airplane mode? It would not be transmitting Phone, 3G, Edge, or wireless connections. It at that point is no different than having a LCD Watch on without removing the battery. 100 times more dangerous are the 80 phones that are not in use in peoples pockets but still on. The guy had no way of understanding what mode that phone was in, if a FA did this I would be fine.... Old guy under stress has no right laying a hand on anyone let alone hitting someone period. He just did not understand and was scared....and a dumba$$

puckstopper55
2010-12-30, 11:38 AM
Old people (over 55) should be required to take a 8 hour class every other year (unless they can prove they dont need to) that will give them the basics of the newer technology. I am sure that this quick overview would have mentioned phone and airplane mode. I am so tired of old people not knowing how things work.

Its not even new .. how many people had to program their grandmothers VCR because it was always 12:00 !?!? Old people dont mix with technology

megatop412
2010-12-30, 04:12 PM
I go through this with my mother on a regular basis. It's very emotionally painful to watch her struggle with technology almost everywhere she goes. I can't count the number of times I've had to show her that she muted her cell phone volume and that's the reason it "stopped ringing", or the # of times she has said "my computer went down again" and I have it back up in 30 seconds because of something simple, or the # of times I have said "Ma, the HD channels are in the 700's, that's why the picture looks like ****", or the # of times she has said she is going to learn how to use Quickbooks so she can go back to work after a 30+ year hiatus from the accounting world. On the other hand, she can out-cook pretty much everyone I know and is very good with money. She could make it though programming the VCR, but only if she went by the instructions. It isn't the degree of intuitiveness that's markedly different, it's the level at which that intuitiveness is occurring.

There are definitely many exceptions, but generally, the minds of older folks are structured in a completely different way than ours as far as information processing goes. Just like I can't understand how today's schoolkids can study with the damn TV on or listening to their Ipod, many older people have no concept of an airplane mode on a phone. To them, multitasking is doing 2 things at once, not four or five, and then only for short periods of time.

And with that, Happy New Year to you all. To those of you I met this year, 2010 spotting was a blast.

Gerard
2010-12-30, 09:10 PM
Old people (over 55) should be required to take a 8 hour class every other year (unless they can prove they dont need to) that will give them the basics of the newer technology. I am sure that this quick overview would have mentioned phone and airplane mode. I am so tired of old people not knowing how things work. Old people dont mix with technology

Wow the year is almost over and I just read the STUPIDEST post of the year. Un-friggin-believable.:rolleyes::eek::frown:
And what you wrote is called Ageism. And its a SAD commentary on many young people.
A little patience goes a long way.
Oh yeah, I'm 56!!!!!!!! :mad:

mirrodie
2010-12-30, 09:29 PM
Im 35, dont have an iphone or ipad and yet run a busy life well without them. I really dont know what the difference is with 3g vs 4g nor do I twitter. In reality, these items are not necessary in life.

Yet I can change my oil and brakes, build a wall, install new lighting to a house....yada. yada. yada.

I used to think it was just b/c I don't give a damn about certain things that I dont know 3 vs 4 etc. maybe im just old :wink:

NIKV69
2010-12-30, 09:47 PM
nor do I twitter

You mean tweet?

Yet I can change my oil

I knew that thread would help you!

puckstopper55
2010-12-31, 12:02 PM
I didnt mean ALL old people cant handle / understand technology, but i think its a fair general assumption that the older generations have a hard time understanding the concepts behind the newer technology. This old man might have seen a cell phone being used and not understood that newer devices, in plane mode, are no different then a super watch.

Just because some people choose not to incorporate these devices int heir life doesn't mean they dont understand the basics behind them (ie how they work, why they work, ect).

Wow the year is almost over and I just read the STUPIDEST post of the year. Un-friggin-believable.:rolleyes::eek::frown:
And what you wrote is called Ageism. And its a SAD commentary on many young people.

I cant tell you how many times I have had to show my mother how to download pictures from the camera to the pc, or how to burn a CD. I have no problem showing someone once, twice, and in some cases a third time, but there seems to be a mental block that wont allow people of older generations to understand the newer technology.

Another example is at work. The entire office just switched over to Windows 7, and office 2010. In most cases (not all) the younger people figured out what they needed to do and went on, while the older folks lost their minds because everything is not in the same place it used to be.

Maybe its something to do with how they are "wired" as mentioned above. Maybe they lose, or never had, the ability to think on the fly and problem solve on the go. Again, this is not ALL older people because we would be where we are today without the older generation, but a majority ordinary "next door neighbor" type.

Call it what you want, but you cant deny the fact this is far more common then most admit to.

Gerard
2010-12-31, 01:13 PM
I didnt mean ALL old people cant handle / understand technology, but i think its a fair general assumption that the older generations have a hard time understanding the concepts behind the newer technology. This old man might have seen a cell phone being used and not understood that newer devices, in plane mode, are no different then a super watch.
Just because some people choose not to incorporate these devices int heir life doesn't mean they dont understand the basics behind them (ie how they work, why they work, ect).
I cant tell you how many times I have had to show my mother how to download pictures from the camera to the pc, or how to burn a CD. I have no problem showing someone once, twice, and in some cases a third time, but there seems to be a mental block that wont allow people of older generations to understand the newer technology.
Another example is at work. The entire office just switched over to Windows 7, and office 2010. In most cases (not all) the younger people figured out what they needed to do and went on, while the older folks lost their minds because everything is not in the same place it used to be.
Maybe its something to do with how they are "wired" as mentioned above. Maybe they lose, or never had, the ability to think on the fly and problem solve on the go. Again, this is not ALL older people because we would be where we are today without the older generation, but a majority ordinary "next door neighbor" type.
Call it what you want, but you cant deny the fact this is far more common then most admit to.

C'mon guys am I being Pranked or Punked here? :confused::rolleyes:
This is some SERIOUS drivel I am reading.
Oh well everyone has their opinions. Time to crank up my 8-Track and watch some movies on Betamax!! :smile:

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-01-02, 10:27 AM
Assault on a minor. Sorry I don't care what the circumstances are you don't punch a minor unless he or she is about to use deadly force on you if you don't. A cell phone on an airplane does not excuse his behavior and it's just sickening on how immature that was and to know that something like this can happen.

mirrodie
2011-01-02, 10:35 AM
fair general assumption that the older generations have a hard time understanding the concepts behind the newer technology.

assumption is the mother of all **** ups. Fact is older generations have lived without a need for any of the new nonsense. They've lived productive lives without it so why should they use it?

The ones that need to be taught a few times may seriously not learn only b/c they are less plastic to the new concepts. but if the new concept is a crucial one they need, as opposed to a complete pain in the ass, they learn.

mirrodie
2011-01-02, 10:36 AM
oh and ps. my grandmother is 96 today. I just remembered since she is on Facebook.

Delta777LR
2011-01-02, 11:46 AM

Amen to that

moose135
2011-01-02, 04:25 PM
...but i think its a fair general assumption that the older generations have a hard time understanding the concepts behind the newer technology...
Like the "older generations" that put a man on the Moon? Or the "older generations" that designed and manufactured the computer chips that power all this newfangled technology?

My father is 85 years old. He has had a PC for over 10 years, and is probably on line more than me these days. On his own, he figured out how to create a mailing list and print labels for their Christmas card list. My mother-in-law passed away last summer at at 89. About 15 years ago, we got her a WebTV unit for her home in Pennsylvania so she could keep up on news and e-mail her friends. A few years ago, she got a netbook and wireless router for the house, so she could sit on the back porch in the summer and surf the 'net.

oh and ps. my grandmother is 96 today. I just remembered since she is on Facebook.
Happy Birthday Grandma! My father sent me a "friend" request, but I was afraid he would tag me in old, embarrassing childhood photos...:smile:

Gerard
2011-01-02, 08:23 PM
My father sent me a "friend" request, but I was afraid he would tag me in old, embarrassing childhood photos...:smile:

Chicken. :biggrin: I think many of us would enjoy seeing those pics. :cool:

Gerard
2011-01-06, 11:42 PM
This is too friggin funny and so timely and dont think I wasnt thinking about Dr. Sheldon Cooper, or his "type" when I read the initial post that got me "upset".
The opening scene has the character of Howard talking to his mom on the phone and getting quite upset because she doesnt know how to use a laptop. After he hangs up, Sheldon
comments "I dont want to say that all senior citizens who cant master technology should be publicly flogged but if we made an example of one or two it might give the others incentive
to try harder".
:biggrin::cool::smile:

Gerard
2011-01-06, 11:44 PM
QUOTE=Gerard;435769]This is too friggin funny and so timely and dont think I wasnt thinking about Dr. Sheldon Cooper, or his "type" when I read the initial post that got me "upset".
The opening scene has the character of Howard talking to his mom on the phone and getting quite upset because she doesnt know how to use a laptop. After he hangs up, Sheldon
comments "I dont want to say that all senior citizens who cant master technology should be publicly flogged but if we made an example of one or two it might give the others incentive
to try harder".
:biggrin::cool::smile:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah its from The Big Bang Theory if you werent sure what show I was referring to. Must be my old age that made me forget to put that in. :confused: