PDA

View Full Version : Findings in Elmendorf C-17 Crash

seahawks7757
2010-12-11, 05:17 AM
As some may remember back in July a C-17 went down up in Elmendorf Air Force Base located near Anchorage, Alaska. The C-17A practicing for the weekends air shows. The findings found the plane stalled and pilot error after he got over confident.

The tape which no one expected to ever go public was also released. Well it is now all the way up until just before the point of impact. I am warning you it is a little hard to watch knowing what is going to happen but if you can take it then it is all yours. If not I tryed to warn you-
http://www.pacaf.af.mil/library/aibreports/index.asp

gonzalu
2010-12-11, 07:32 AM
I know this may sound insensitive to you but I have seen C-17s do just that more than a few times at other shows. It may be because he was going too slow but I have certainly seen them do steep ascents and super high angle turns without incident. And even in this video, although you can tell it is going down, it did not seem the angle was that sharp.

A real shame for those who perished!! I am sure they were all great pilots and people. My question to the real pilots out here, why is it not possible to get out of it at some point when you know you may have gone too far? Yes, I am ignorant because I have never flown a plane and I mean absolutely no disrespect by my question... same thing I saw in the B-52 crash of similar conditions. Knife edge and then no turning back... I never see the plane even attempt to be turned back to level is as if they get into a particular angle and then the sticks go solid and nothing moves... is that the reality?

USAF Pilot 07
2010-12-11, 11:45 AM
I don't think they will release the CVR (it's part of the SIB) but it's pretty rough to listen to. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say there were some eerie similarities to the Fairchild situation.