PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines L-1011

megatop412
2010-12-05, 09:58 PM
Now that I have all your attention, I've got a question: does anybody else actually dream of airplanes, flying, or spotting? I thought I was crazy when I dreamt about spotting during UN Week, I was so intent on not missing it. And yes, I have a girlfriend and a full-time job, so it isn't like I have nothing else to think about.

Then last night, I was dreaming I was at some unidentified airport, when a damnned AA L-1011 goes taxying by. I couldn't believe it. I know all about how there were no AA Tristars because they went with the DC-10, but there it was in its bare-metal glory, and it looked awesome.

I realize this thread has no practical value, but the curiosity is killing me about whether this happens to anyone else. You never know, this could turn into an interesting thread.

I also invite folks to try their hand at a photoshopped AA DC-10, just so everyone can see that it really would be(would have been) kickass.

gonzalu
2010-12-05, 10:17 PM
I "daydream" about seeing an L-1011 Tristar in person. I think there are thee or four left actually flying around the world somewhere? I was looking into going somewhere to spot / picture one or more LOL. I think some government has a few and one or two American companies have some in service still? .

cancidas
2010-12-06, 12:19 AM
flying from time to time, but it's always over the mid atlantic in a G500 or GLEX. never anything fun. only recurring dream i have is where i'm skipping through the forest until i see a deer. then i raise my rifle to my shoulder and kill me some dinner! the AAL L1011 takes the cake. talk about wet dream!!

NIKV69
2010-12-06, 01:43 AM
I've seen 388LS flying at LAS and LAX and I have to tell you it's better than sex. Well maybe almost depending on the girl. Oh wait an RAF one too. Total insanity!

hiss srq
2010-12-06, 07:03 AM
I've seen 388LS flying at LAS and LAX and I have to tell you it's better than sex. Well maybe almost depending on the girl. Oh wait an RAF one too. Total insanity!

Than you arent paying the premium rate!!!!!!!!:cool: LOL... I dont know about you guys but get laid or watch someone lay rubber.... I'll pass on the smell of burnt rubber and go for the "smooth touchdown"

jerslice
2010-12-06, 03:43 PM
I do at times…mostly ahead of a trip to somewhere new or some thing I’m really excited about. Usually its related to waking up late or getting stuck in traffic and missing whatever/wherever it is.
On the Tristar thread, someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think the Sands Tristar is the only one currently operating in the Americas (RAF visits aside)??...or at least it’s the only one I know about. I talked with someone who knows the flight engineer of N388LS and supposedly the Sands is prepping their other one over in the middle east to come back into service. I guess the company spent near to 20 million on the interior of 388 - I would expect the same of the other!

gonzalu
2010-12-06, 03:52 PM
Thanks Jeremy... that makes me feel I still have a chance to see one in person, and even FLYING!!

NIKV69
2010-12-06, 06:11 PM
Hey in the US it's a heck of a lot easier to get laid than to see an air worthy Tristar. Once you see it on the downwind you can't describe it!

gonzalu
2010-12-06, 06:12 PM
Well, I tried to do a historical dump of ACARS database at acarsd.org and the ENTIRE database had zero hits on that one registration from Sands :-(

NIKV69
2010-12-06, 06:30 PM
LOL tough to track that one. I get heads up from someone I know there but I can't post the info. Best to give me your emails and if I know it's stopping at EWR or LAX I can maybe give you an hour.

JDANDO
2010-12-07, 09:36 AM
I was lucky enough to catch N388LS earlier this year. It was good for me :wink:

http://www.jetphotos.net/img/2/8/7/0/47301_1270696078_tb.jpg

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6822738 (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6822738)

jerslice
2010-12-07, 01:51 PM
Well, I tried to do a historical dump of ACARS database at acarsd.org and the ENTIRE database had zero hits on that one registration from Sands :-(
They go to great lengths to keep movements non public.

I dont know about you guys but get laid or watch someone lay rubber.... I'll pass on the smell of burnt rubber and go for the "smooth touchdown"
If given the choice to get some or to see a Tristar fly, I would choose the Tristar pretty much every time unless it becomes common again. The likelihood of seeing a tristar fly (or even just to see an airworthy one) is slim to none...so yeah. Tristar for me. :cool:

NIKV69
2010-12-07, 04:21 PM
me if I’m wrong but I think the Sands Tristar is the only one currently operating in the Americas (RAF visits aside)??...or at least it’s the only one I know about. I talked with someone who knows the flight engineer of N388LS and supposedly the Sands is prepping their other one over in the middle east to come back into service. I guess the company spent near to 20 million on the interior of 388 - I would expect the same of the other!

After ATA went belly up that is basically it. The other one should be in Riyadh rignt now and last my contact told me they are not in any real hurry to get that in the air. 388LS has a ton of cycles on it and 389LS has fairly little so I guess they are going to get as much out of 388 as they can. When I wish him Merry Xmas soon I will pick his brain for any new info.