PDA

View Full Version : PHL Incident 11.21.10

megatop412
2010-11-23, 10:05 PM
I was at PHL on Sunday trying to learn the art of shooting in overcast conditions. I got the hairbrained idea to try shooting through the fence at PHL on Sunday. I was just so tired of having the fence in my shots, everyone here can understand, I'm sure. Well wouldn't you know it, the very first time I walked up to the fence a Philadelphia cop goes by. I take my shots and get back in the car. Sure enough he pulls a U-turn parks behind me and flips on the cherries.

He was extremely polite and introduced himself as "airport security". I don't think I ever met a nicer cop. He was even trying to explain his presence to me- I was totally baffled. I was like "Sir, you needn't explain a thing- I completely understand. Just so you know, I don't touch the fence or stick anything through it." He even asked how I was keeping the fence out of my shots and understood this is a harmless "hobby". I was trying to see his name tag but didn't want to be too obvious about it. He checked my license and reg, saw I wasn't a wanted man, and went on his way, but not before I gave him my card! :cool:

I'm sure the next time this happens I'll get the cop whose wife just left and kid dropped out of college

markg
2010-11-25, 11:42 PM
Most of the Philly cops are aware of the hobby thanks to Paul K for his hard work in educating them. It's the Tinicum cops who are the problem most of the time!

threeholerglory
2010-11-26, 07:24 AM
i've never had anything but great experiences shooting down at PHL...if only the traffic were better!

Delta777LR
2011-03-01, 02:21 AM
The last time I was at PHL i just stood the whole time on the railroad tracks spotting the landings on rwy 9R and Ive seen maybe 4 police cars come by and gave me a wave.. Yes I gotta say, PHL is normaly a friendly airport for spotters.. I plan to head there this coming April..

Steven Holzinger
2011-03-01, 08:30 PM
PHL is my local "big" airport and spotting there is a breeze. Like Mark said, Paul has done a LOT for spotting there and as long as you remain on the side of Hog Island Road by the Delaware River, you won't have any issues. I'm not saying it's 100% - it's more like 99.8% likely you won't be asked to leave. Pull as far off the road as you can for your safety - the UPS trucks and the hot shots are to be aware of. I swear there's usually one or more people using the straight sections down by 9R as a drag strip since that part of the road is not as traveled as the 27R part.

Sergio, I would be careful if you're on the railroad tracks. It's still an active railway (though I have yet to see a train go by) but the real concern are the ATV drivers when they kick up dust, dirt, stones, and even mud.

I do agree about the variety of traffic being meh, but look at it this way - at least US Airways has more than one type in their fleet! Oh, and there's always a chance of catching one of at least twelve special scheme A319s...

megatop412
2011-03-01, 09:06 PM
PHL is my local "big" airport and spotting there is a breeze. Like Mark said, Paul has done a LOT for spotting there and as long as you remain on the side of Hog Island Road by the Delaware River, you won't have any issues. I'm not saying it's 100% - it's more like 99.8% likely you won't be asked to leave. Pull as far off the road as you can for your safety - the UPS trucks and the hot shots are to be aware of. I swear there's usually one or more people using the straight sections down by 9R as a drag strip since that part of the road is not as traveled as the 27R part.

Sergio, I would be careful if you're on the railroad tracks. It's still an active railway (though I have yet to see a train go by) but the real concern are the ATV drivers when they kick up dust, dirt, stones, and even mud.

I do agree about the variety of traffic being meh, but look at it this way - at least US Airways has more than one type in their fleet! Oh, and there's always a chance of catching one of at least twelve special scheme A319s...

It is in fact an active railway, Paul's got some pictures of some freight being pulled through there. And those ATV riders are extremely reckless, flying down the road at 70-80mph and popping wheelies and riding up people's asses. If I ever get asked to leave and they go tearing through there I will be sure to ask that they get asked to leave as well.

Shamu737
2011-03-21, 09:48 AM
The last time I was at PHL i just stood the whole time on the railroad tracks spotting the landings on rwy 9R and Ive seen maybe 4 police cars come by and gave me a wave.. Yes I gotta say, PHL is normaly a friendly airport for spotters.. I plan to head there this coming April..

Yes, Sergio I believe I remember you telling me that PHL is one of the best locations to spott at.... as I will get to see for myself when I go with you.