PDA

View Full Version : Hyperfocal focusing vs. subject focusing

Derf
2010-11-18, 09:43 PM
I have known about Hyperfocal focusing for quite some time but never really used it too much. I think I am going to play allot more. Here is a thread that has my head spinning.... I like the quote "By focusing at nothing I gain everything? Is this some deep experience?"

Great forum thread on this subject (http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=1043322)

gonzalu
2010-11-18, 11:20 PM
Fred, I think you will be disappointed if using it with planes in flight :-) In my experience, if I miss focus at 400mm @ f/11, I get NOTHING in focus if craft is against the sky. The DOF is sooo shallow at 400mm that hyperfocal does not really work (for me at least) But you're welcome to try of course :tongue:. Please enlighten us if you have positive results.

Derf
2010-11-19, 12:12 AM
I do take some other pictures besides aircraft and do not worry about aircraft in flight. I have done that wrong enough to learn what not to do. I am now looking at doing other shots... Maybe I will try some Lightning shots. ;) or possible some shots of telephone poles and stuff.

gonzalu
2010-11-19, 01:13 AM
apologies for assuming airplanes :redface:

lijk604
2010-11-19, 10:44 AM
Hyper Focal has always confused me, but using the iFotobacus App for iPhone, at 400mm, f/11, it gives a near focus limit of 1256ft, hyperfocal distance of 2512ft, and far focus of infinity. (That's based on my Canon 40D). Almost seems ideal for some "reach" shooting ie: Bayswater & HoBe. Can someone who understands the concept tell me if I'm right or way off base here?

gonzalu
2010-11-19, 11:13 AM
Theoretically. But I have missed focus by a hair, at f/11, and NOTHING was in focus. Hyperfocal to me has always failed me, even with light poles