PDA

View Full Version : Unfriendly SouthWest Airlines in Manhattan

Speedbird1
2010-11-10, 04:33 PM
I just visited the ice skating rink here in NY at Bryant Park and noticed a "SouthWest Airlines Patio" alongside the rink. The patio is outside where you can buy food and drink. I walked around and was stopped by a nasty guy wearing a black SouthWest Airlines jacket. He said they were having a private party and that I would have to leave. I left, not wanting to cause problems, but I attempted to take his photo. He covered his face with both hands then he tried to take my photo using his cellphone camera. I spoke to other non-security staff there and they were unfriendly too. How was I supposed to know it was a private party? There were no signs or decorations. Is this how SouthWest employees treat people? I intend to contact them about this incident as it ruined my day.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-11-10, 05:07 PM
Ummmm, what's the big deal? This was a private party that you, from your account, inadvertently walked into or were trying to get into. Then you got stopped by a security guard and were asked to leave after being given the explanation that it was a private party and instead of just leaving, you tried to snap a picture of the security guard's face..

That's a bit odd (even if you were well within your rights to do so), and if I were him I might have been a little weary of some guy trying to, who I probably thought was trying to sneak into a place he wasn't supposed to be in, take a picture of my face. Then it seems to have upset you that he tried to do the exact same thing you did!

Sounds like you're more bitter or upset at not having an invite to the private party or something, or that other people, probably none of whom were airplane enthusiasts like yourself, were having fun on the account of an airline without you... sheesh..

Also, while the guy was wearing a Southwest airlines jacket, chances are he is part of some security agency that Southwest, or maybe even Bryant Park, hired to conduct security at this party. While he still may indirectly "represent" Southwest airlines, I wouldn't classify him as a "payroll" Southwest airlines employee. Maybe the guy had a rude tone or something, but it doesn't sound like he said or did anything that was that bad...

Regardless, if you call or write to complain I'm sure you'll be given a voucher from Southwest or something...

Matt Molnar
2010-11-10, 06:28 PM
The Southwest Porch has been there since they started LGA service about a year and a half ago. It is run by an outside company, not Southwest itself. You might find F/A's getting drunk there (I would imagine they get some kind of discount but I don't know for sure) but it's not staffed by any Southwest employees. Occasionally Southwest holds events there, but so can anyone else. It's really just meant to be a novel marketing vehicle, they just opened one in Denver, too.

Gerard
2010-11-10, 06:51 PM
Is it me or am I starting to see a pattern here?

gonzalu
2010-11-10, 09:10 PM
From what you're saying, seems that he was right and you were wrong... not trying to be a d***k but you had no business being anywhere near them. Seriously, why would you not pick another place to hang out? I believe you had no business confronting the person in the first place and definitely not try to take his picture. You're lucky you didn't get one across the jaw.

megatop412
2010-11-10, 10:32 PM
It would sure help to see video of the incident to see who was really acting sh***y, but based on the way the first post is written, the OP was perfectly within his rights to check out a patio area that wasn't decorated or marked off. I don't think that I would have tried to take a guard's picture after being asked to leave since that achieves nothing, but I certainly don't consider the OP lucky he didn't "get one across the jaw". Had the guard done that, Speedbird would then have access to funds for a new D3s and 70-200mm f/2.8:cool: (personally, I would have ended up less a camera body and lens, having smashed it against the guard's head)

Security people in general, and those who work in Manhattan in particular, tend to possess macho power-trip egos second only to Roman emperors.

In all liklihood the guard probably mistook the OP for paparazzi. They crawl over that city like maggots on a carcass.

gonzalu
2010-11-10, 11:08 PM
Megatop, I think you misunderstood me. I meant it NOT that the guard would have been justified, but that it is something that would happen in REAL LIFE. Maybe I am getting too old but back when I was in HS/College, a stunt like trying to take a picture of a security guard could end up in being swung at. Hey it does not have to be wrong or right, it just can happen. It's like throwing yourself in front of a car while crossing the street and the light is red. IF you're not careful and the car hits you, they are absolutely wrong, you are absolutely right and you are absolutely dead. I wouldn't test that theory.

My point was, the OP did not ACCIDENTALLY wonder into a public space, he absolutely intended to find out what was going on and we know this because we are spotters and are naturally interested in aviation related stuff. Nothing wrong with it. But in the end it boils down to why push the boundaries? I see NOTHING wrong with the way it went down.

==OP looks into what looks like an Aviation related event in a seemingly open environment.
==Nasty security guard asks him to leave in let's say the worst possible tone, demeanor etc.
==OP does not like this
==OP tries to take picture of said guard
==Security Guard covers his face and then tries to take photo of OP (which I assume by saying he tried, the OP too covered his face)
==OP was still not satisfied and continued to probe others at the event

I never saw the OP casually and politely excuse himself when told it was a private event and asked to leave. I don't believe he was physically removed or abused or NYPD was called or he was threatened with having the police called which in a PUBLIC SPACE can be considered menacing. Etc.

What's the problem? I say Speedbird should have politely said excuse me and moved along. In my opinion this would have been the proper thing to do.

BTW I live in "THAT CITY" and believe me, your statement about "...paparazzi. They crawl over that city like maggots on a carcass...." is really unfounded. I have NEVER seen a single Paparazzo ever... and have come across celebrities for years at least once a month here. As a matter of fact, you are likely to mobbed more by general fanatic fans than by paparazzi. :smile:

Gerard
2010-11-10, 11:24 PM
BTW I live in "THAT CITY" and believe me, your statement about "...paparazzi. They crawl over that city like maggots on a carcass...." is really unfounded. I have NEVER seen a single Paparazzo ever... and have come across celebrities for years at least once a month here. As a matter of fact, you are likely to mobbed more by general fanatic fans than by paparazzi. :smile:

Yeah I gotta agree with that. Oh there are paparazzi around but to say they "crawl over THAT city like maggots" is a little ridiculous. And I'm in Manhattan everyday and in my job we
have plenty of celebritys shopping and making personal appearances and I've never seen "crawling paparazzi".

gonzalu
2010-11-10, 11:26 PM
BTW, Bryant Park [is] a public space that is privately managed and funded. TECHNICALLY there are no for profit events to the public but it does get officially closed for Fashion Week as far as I know.

I am not so sure that anyone can claim PRIVATE event technically so challenging the idea of a private event in public space is a novel and well founded one. I am just saying I would not have pushed the issue. Even if the NY Philharmonic was giving a free concert in Central Park, I would not wonder around to the back of the temporary stage. That's just being respectful and polite.

BTW, Speedbird, where EXACTLY was the event being held? The Bryant Park Grille is also part of Bryant Park and also technically "public" but I don;t think I am allowed to wonder around the back :tongue:

Gerard
2010-11-10, 11:34 PM
BTW, Speedbird, where EXACTLY was the event being held? The Bryant Park Grille is also part of Bryant Park and also technically "public" but I don;t think I am allowed to wonder around the back :tongue:

http://www.bryantpark.org/things-to-do/southwest_porch.html

megatop412
2010-11-11, 01:23 AM
While NY isn't exactly LA, it isn't far behind. I'm from the area and I've worked in the city as well, and I know it isn't that much of an exaggeration.

That was just my opinion coming out before, as others frequently do in these forums. To me, paparazzi are maggots. Hey, everybody's got to make a living, but individuals whose entire sustenance is garnered from drive-by's of the rich and famous just so people can fill their heads with meaningless drivel about the latest in pop culture is...well, maggot-like.

Also, I agree the thing to do is to move along in this situation. I've done that myself, and with a smile on my face. However, not everyone should be expected to react that way- I was just saying his reaction of feeling slighted was understandable, even if he followed it up with actions that you or I wouldn't take. I study human behavior for a living, and it isn't uncommon for a person to react unfavorably towards an a-hole, regardless of whether punches are thrown in the end. That is, of course, presuming that the guard was really as much of one as was originally stated. And if there are people out there that want to punch others for taking pictures of them(and there are), they have serious issues they need to work on.

As I said earlier, seeing what happened in person would really shed light on the context that this happened in. Context tends to guide my judgement of what's rational and what isn't.

Gerard
2010-11-11, 08:33 PM
Also, I agree the thing to do is to move along in this situation. I've done that myself, and with a smile on my face. However, not everyone should be expected to react that way- I was just saying his reaction of feeling slighted was understandable, even if he followed it up with actions that you or I wouldn't take. I study human behavior for a living, and it isn't uncommon for a person to react unfavorably towards an a-hole, regardless of whether punches are thrown in the end. That is, of course, presuming that the guard was really as much of one as was originally stated. And if there are people out there that want to punch others for taking pictures of them(and there are), they have serious issues they need to work on.
As I said earlier, seeing what happened in person would really shed light on the context that this happened in. Context tends to guide my judgement of what's rational and what isn't.

Absolutely. We are just getting ONE SIDE of this story and who is to say what was written was what actually took place. Their was a TV show sometime ago called "Boomtown" where points of view of an incident/crime was shown through different characters; cops, EMS and the perps or victims. And each POV was different, sometimes a lot, sometimes very small.
That could apply here but of course in this case we'll never know.

T-Bird76
2010-11-12, 12:07 PM
Speedbird based on reading some of your other interactions with people I'm going to side with the Southwest event staff. Sounds like you simply wanted to once again butt in where you don't belong.

Derf
2010-11-12, 03:11 PM
I agree with Tom's views, short and too the point

Gerard
2010-11-12, 05:31 PM
Speedbird based on reading some of your other interactions with people I'm going to side with the Southwest event staff. Sounds like you simply wanted to once again butt in where you don't belong.

Like I wrote previously "i see a pattern here". Guess I'm not the only one.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2010-11-13, 09:32 AM

Also as someone who lives in THAT CITY (well metro area) I have to agree with the above quote. NY is not LA (also mentioned). Yeah you get some but we're not crawling with them. I personally think you're more likely to run into a celebrity him/herself in NY than to see paparazzi.