PDA

View Full Version : FAA's Airspace redesign decision has some NJ residents upset

DHG750R
2010-11-09, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately the way it's being reported makes it seem as if the traffic departing JFK will overfly NJ at low altitudes . This seems more like an attempt to stir public opinion rather than responsible reporting. You be the judge.

FAA's map http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/airspacejpg-d99baeff9270e170.jpg

Story ( with video )
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/09/airspace-redesign-could-put-more-planes-over-nj/

Speedbird1
2010-11-10, 06:56 AM
Thanks for posting the map with the changes. I will study it and then make comments. Will JFK still use the same departure procedures or will there be new procedures with new names and the same climbs (Breezy Point, Canarsie, etc)? What seems new is the routing over Bergen County and Morris County. Will arrival paths also be changed? From the map, it appears that JFK departures will pass-by LENDY. The flights would be at high altitudes, so the extra noise would be of little consequence. I also saw the report last evening on CBS and the outraged residents. How will these re-routes affect EWR? Will EWR routes get changed as well?

Mateo
2010-11-10, 03:15 PM
The current departure paths send JFK outbounds over south-central NJ (Mercer County, which is what I'm familiar with) at 18-22K, and you absolutely can't hear them. People seem to forget that airplanes now are a lot quieter than they were even 15 years ago. I live about 17nm SW of EWR, and we get EWR 4 arrivals coming over at 5K, and even those you don't always hear, especially not indoors. The only arrivals I can hear when inside are the handful of Fedex 727s that come in from the Midwest just before midnight.

Matt Molnar
2010-11-11, 02:22 AM
These people need to relax. Europe-bound heavies out of EWR fly over my house everyday and I don't hear anything. The distances from JFK to north Jersey are even greater, the planes will be even higher and quieter.

DHG750R
2010-11-11, 10:46 PM
I agree, I think the some parts of news media at times like to stir the pot for the sake of a story, Yes airplanes fly over all of our houses, it's a fact of life living beneath the busiest airspace in the world, it certainly does not mean you will buzzing over you at 500feet, breaking dishes and setting off car alarms.