PDA

View Full Version : DHL DC-8

gonzalu
2010-11-04, 08:46 PM
I see it parked near the triple hangars. Any idea how long it's been there and if it will leave with any certainty on a particular [day] ? I would love to catch this beauty in the air or at least taxiing cleanly. Right now it is in a tough spot to snag a shot.

Thank you.

eric8669
2010-11-04, 08:53 PM
I see it parked near the triple hangars. Any idea how long it's been there and if it will leave with any certainty on a particular [day] ? I would love to catch this beauty in the air or at least taxiing cleanly. Right now it is in a tough spot to snag a shot.

Thank you.

Its actually leaves everyday I believe. You can usually catch it coming in around sunrise.

gonzalu
2010-11-04, 09:18 PM
Really? oh man, I have got to catch it. I am totally afraid it will cease to fly from one day to the next! Is it only during the week? I have been out on both Sat / Sun early and have never seen it in our out. Does it register on FlightAware?

Thanks Eric, you're always a world of knowledge :-)

eric8669
2010-11-04, 09:28 PM
Really? oh man, I have got to catch it. I am totally afraid it will cease to fly from one day to the next! Is it only during the week? I have been out on both Sat / Sun early and have never seen it in our out. Does it register on FlightAware?

Thanks Eric, you're always a world of knowledge :-)

It should be on flightaware, all of the times I have caught it, it has been right around sunrise. The last time I actually shot it was on April 14th.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/4520771645/

NLovis
2010-11-04, 10:47 PM
It flies during the weekdays and sits during the weekend. It usually leaves at 11PM at night and arrives during sunrise but at this time of year its in darkness now. Will say if it delays you will have a shot at it but otherwise it will be several months.

Zee71
2010-11-05, 05:02 AM
Yes..........This bird comes in the early morning. Saw it coming in once, but I was no where nears it. I would like to catch this coming in as well. I guess I'll wait till next year when the light is better.

eric8669
2010-11-05, 08:29 AM
Yes..........This bird comes in the early morning. Saw it coming in once, but I was no where nears it. I would like to catch this coming in as well. I guess I'll wait till next year when the light is better.

why next year, why not next next week? We change the clocks this weekend, sunrise will be around 6AM

gonzalu
2010-11-05, 10:06 AM
Next year may be too late LOL. OK, this will be my little project then. I have to manage a way to get up early. But then again, as you guys said, this weekend the time changes will make 8am dark. I just hope they don;t stop flying her until I get a picture as I am really afraid that their days are numbered since the deal with UPS/FedEx fell through, DHL has almost totally shut down US ops.

It flies during the weekdays and sits during the weekend. It usually leaves at 11PM at night and arrives during sunrise but at this time of year its in darkness now. Will say if it delays you will have a shot at it but otherwise it will be several months.

So you're saying the one I see parked there now may be in that spot for the weekend? Wait, today is Friday, it may be a different DHL for the weekend, with my luck. It will probably be a Cessna or an Embraer :mad:

gonzalu
2010-11-05, 10:09 AM
why next year, why not next next week? We change the clocks this weekend, sunrise will be around 6AM

That's right! We get shorter afternoons but earlier mornings. OK, there is hope yet LOL. Monday morning I will be out of the A380 Emirates (hoping for 31L, come on winds!) so maybe I will get there early. It seems there is a regular flight between JFK<-->CVG exclusively with this DC-8

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DHL504

eric8669
2010-11-05, 10:09 AM
Next year may be too late LOL. OK, this will be my little project then. I have to manage a way to get up early. But then again, as you guys said, this weekend the time changes will make 8am dark. I just hope they don;t stop flying her until I get a picture as I am really afraid that their days are numbered since the deal with UPS/FedEx fell through, DHL has almost totally shut down US ops.

So you're saying the one I see parked there now may be in that spot for the weekend? Wait, today is Friday, it may be a different DHL for the weekend, with my luck. It will probably be a Cessna or an Embraer :mad:

We turn back the clocks. sunrise is around 7 now, it will be around 6 when we change the clocks.

moose135
2010-11-05, 11:23 AM
We turn back the clocks. sunrise is around 7 now, it will be around 6 when we change the clocks.
Sunrise on Saturday is at 7:31 in NYC. On Sunday, with the end of DST, it will be at 6:32 (http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=New%20York,%20New%20Yo rk;74;40.8;-5;1&month=11&year=2010&time_type=0) and will get later every day until late December.

bluejuice
2010-11-05, 08:29 PM
A cool flashback is when Fed-Ex brings in their DC-11 followed by their 727 then the DHL-DC8. Ive seen this a couple of times around the Holiday season when a lot of the early morning arrivals are Cargo.

gonzalu
2010-11-05, 09:23 PM
You mean MD-11?

Gerard
2010-11-05, 09:45 PM
Has anyone seen the DHL copter recently?

NLovis
2010-11-06, 12:11 AM

@ gonzalu DHL doesnt op on weekends. Astar still does so you may see a 767 but it is slightly diff ops im im not mistaken. DHL ops is simmilar to UPS JFK ops. It will depart Mon night and tues will be the next arrival. If your lucky you may even see the single Astar DC-8 arrive. I think its the only one not painted in yellow.
Eric. You may have a shot at it but you shouldnt dillly dally. Be sure to be around tues early morn.