PDA

View Full Version : SCPD Get New Copter

Gerard
2010-10-22, 06:01 PM
http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/rotorhub/american-eurocopter-delivers-an-as350-b2-to-suffolk-county-police-department/7474/

cancidas
2010-10-22, 06:22 PM
they ever going to decide what type they want to operate? from 407s to MD900s and now A-Stars...

hiss srq
2010-10-22, 08:04 PM
I think SCPD leases helicopters if I am not mistaken so it would probably be more a matter of what fits the bill when it's time to sign new papers.

Gerard
2010-10-23, 08:47 AM
they ever going to decide what type they want to operate? from 407s to MD900s and now A-Stars...

SC never had 407s. Nassau has 3 of them though. Back in the 80s SC flew a 206B and had a BK 117. They added an Astar in the 90s and picked up the two MD 900s getting rid of the 206 and BK eventually. From the beginning they had problems with getting any type of support from MD Helicopters and one of the 900s became a hangar queen. If I'm not mistaken Suffolk govt sued MD Helicopters because of that. After that debacle they now are primarily a Eurocopter customer.
A side note: Back in the late 90s one summer day the SC 206B was the only ship available and they flew 4 medevac missions in the space of a couple of hours. The JetRanger is a great ship but not exactly the greatest platform for EMS missions (pilot, medic, patient).

cancidas
2010-10-23, 09:07 AM
SC never had 407s. Nassau has 3 of them though. Back in the 80s SC flew a 206B and had a BK 117. They added an Astar in the 90s and picked up the two MD 900s getting rid of the 206 and BK eventually. From the beginning they had problems with getting any type of support from MD Helicopters and one of the 900s became a hangar queen. If I'm not mistaken Suffolk govt sued MD Helicopters because of that. After that debacle they now are primarily a Eurocopter customer.
A side note: Back in the late 90s one summer day the SC 206B was the only ship available and they flew 4 medevac missions in the space of a couple of hours. The JetRanger is a great ship but not exactly the greatest platform for EMS missions (pilot, medic, patient).

my mistake. CALSTAR also had trouble with thier new MD900, apparently came from the factory witha fuel leak and avionics issues. their maintenence people got great support from MD helo and the bird was flying training missions in less a week and was in service for medevacs after about a month. she's a fun helo to fly, that's for damn sure!

Gerard
2010-10-23, 09:20 AM
my mistake. CALSTAR also had trouble with thier new MD900, apparently came from the factory witha fuel leak and avionics issues. their maintenence people got great support from MD helo and the bird was flying training missions in less a week and was in service for medevacs after about a month. she's a fun helo to fly, that's for damn sure!

Yeah I'm not sure what happened between SC and MD but it wasnt good. Not sure how the 900 flew but loved the way it looked with the NOTAR and it had a cool distinct sound
when it flew.

cancidas
2010-10-23, 12:03 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what happened between SC and MD but it wasnt good. Not sure how the 900 flew but loved the way it looked with the NOTAR and it had a cool distinct sound
when it flew.

1732577they do look pretty amazing i must say. lotsa power in a little package...

Gerard
2010-10-23, 05:32 PM
1732577they do look pretty amazing i must say. lotsa power in a little package...

I like this one out in Pennsylvania. http://www.skyflightcare.com/

Gerard
2010-10-29, 09:43 PM
http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/rotorhub/aero-dynamix-delivers-to-suffolk-county-police-dept/7587/