PDA

View Full Version : callsign : Guardian 1

DHG750R
2010-09-23, 03:57 AM
heard working JFK between 3-4am a helo with a callsign Guardian 1. They worked over the upper and lower NY harbor at low altitude, returned to FBF a couple of times. JFK asked what type of aircraft they were, I believe I heard him say they were a Dauphin.

Any Idea what agency that was?

Idlewild
2010-09-23, 04:21 AM
I heard the banter as well. It sounded like JFK Tower was struggling, as in pulling teeth, with the G-One pilot in terms of transponder, acknowledging and intention. I looked up Guardian One and it seems to be an NYPD or NYS surveillance copter based at Floyd Bennett. I heard Guardian One say he climbing to around 4,000ft and heading to the UN to join other NYPD copters. It was also interesting that a fighter jet or jets, seemed to be circling southern Manhattan and northern/western Brooklyn at the same time and altitude..

cancidas
2010-09-23, 08:40 AM
i don't think guardian one is NYPD, most likely another agency. looking in to it from my end hasn't turned up much as yet.

MarkLawrence
2010-09-23, 09:26 AM
I thought Guardian call signs were used by the Coast Guard?

Tom_Turner
2010-09-23, 09:31 AM
Coast Guard makes sense. How many Dauphins are out there really?

njgtr82
2010-09-23, 11:50 AM
Coast Guard

Idlewild
2010-09-23, 01:08 PM
Coast Guard

Sounds good to me. I didn't hear Dauphin over the radio.That reply probably came when the fighters were overflying us.

Gerard
2010-09-23, 06:03 PM
heard working JFK between 3-4am a helo with a callsign Guardian 1. They worked over the upper and lower NY harbor at low altitude, returned to FBF a couple of times. JFK asked what type of aircraft they were, I believe I heard him say they were a Dauphin.
Any Idea what agency that was?

Do you mean 3-4PM? The only aircraft at FBF are PD copters. If it wasnt a CG H-65 possibly the PD Bell 412, N23FH, which is used as a Command-and-Control platform for
high profile events. I've heard them on different Towers and they usually go by "Two Three Fox Hotel" and dont even ID themselves as being PD.

Zee71
2010-09-23, 06:16 PM
Yeah......I heard all the chatter as well. I tought I heard something regarding Blackhawk, but can't say for sure.

Idlewild
2010-09-23, 07:34 PM
I heard the banter as well. It sounded like JFK Tower was struggling, as in pulling teeth, with the G-One pilot in terms of transponder, acknowledging and intention. I looked up Guardian One and it seems to be an NYPD or NYS surveillance copter based at Floyd Bennett. I heard Guardian One say he climbing to around 4,000ft and heading to the UN to join other NYPD copters. It was also interesting that a fighter jet or jets, seemed to be circling southern Manhattan and northern/western Brooklyn at the same time and altitude..

I misread the search result. All I saw as King County and drew the conclusion of Brooklyn, not Washington State (where three county's sheriff offices share the copter).

DHG750R
2010-09-23, 10:37 PM
It was definitely 3-4 am, I just went back to the Live ATC archives http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kjfk/KJFK-Twr-Sep-23-2010-0700Z.mp3

at 18:58 you hear Guardian 1 liftoff from NY22
The controller repeatedly tries to get him to say request and type, he finally gets after several tries.

at 22:15 the controller points out traffic at 5000ft, southbound . An F-22

Finally at 28:15 we hear type HH65 Daupin helicopter as type aircraft.