PDA

View Full Version : TAT Plaque at NY Penn Station?

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-24, 12:06 AM
I learned recently about a plaque that is/was at Penn Station which commemorated TAT (Transcontinental Air Transport) train-to-plane service.

Does anyone know if this plaque is still there?

Transcontinental Air Transport is one of the many airlines that dissolved to become a part of American Airlines.

moose135
2010-08-24, 12:35 AM
Transcontinental Air Transport is one of the many airlines that dissolved to become a part of American Airlines.
Not exactly - TAT merged with Western Air Express in 1930 to become Transcontinental & Western Air (T&WA). In 1934, Western was split off from the merged company, and Transcontinental retained the name and TWA letters. Following WWII, they renamed the airline Trans World Airlines. Years later TWA was taken over by AA, but considering the way AA has tried to stamp out all traces of TWA, I don't know that you could say TAT is part of AA's history or heritage.

mirrodie
2010-08-24, 11:35 PM
Hey Phil, I worked at Penn for 4 years and commuted through there for several more but I never saw it.

I'll post on railroad,net and see if I have any more info on that. Pretty wild though!

mirrodie
2010-08-25, 10:03 AM
Up in the Amtrak Level there is a bronze plaque by the baggage check (West end by the 31st entrance/exit)
If I recall correctly there is a Plane and a K4 or a GG1 I forget as it's been some time since I last seen it.
Also to your interest would be the West Gate track 5&6 as those stairs are one of the originals that survived that monumental act of architectural terrorism that the remainder of the Temple of Transportation could not escape.

mirrodie
2010-08-25, 02:50 PM
Also check out "Steel Rails and Silver Wings" that Weekend Chief published a few years ago.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/wcp/wcp71.htm

Yes the plaque is still there. Next to the Amtrak baggage counter on the 8th Ave. side.

The plaque says T.A.T became TWA and is signed by the president of TWA.

Vidiot
2010-08-30, 01:29 AM
Here's a pic of the plaque:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidiot/411766479/

And you should be able to click "all sizes" to see it bigger.

Vidiot
2010-08-30, 01:37 AM
Actually, I might as well transcribe the text:

The first coast-to-coast rail-air service started here July 7, 1929.

The forerunner of transcontinental airline services began in this station when the Pennsylvania Railroad, a predecessor to Penn Central, and Transcontinental Air Transport, a predecessor to Trans World Airlines, originated coast-to-coast travel combining steam-powered passenger trains by night and Ford Tri-Motor planes by day on a 48-hour schedule.

In commemoration of the 40th anniversary of this historic event, this plaque is dedicated -- July 7, 1969

[signature] [signature]
Chairman of the Board, TWA Chairman of the Board - Penn Central

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-30, 10:13 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks!!

mirrodie
2010-08-30, 11:30 AM
Vidiot, I took a few moments to peruse some of your other photos. LOVE them

Vidiot
2010-09-02, 01:01 PM
Vidiot, I took a few moments to peruse some of your other photos. LOVE them

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate it.