PDA

View Full Version : LGA Kids Day 2010

ISP Pilot
2010-08-08, 05:35 PM
According to the LGA Kiwanis website, this year's LGA Kids day will be on September 25th. :smile:

MODERATOR ADDITION: LGA Kids Day will be from 12pm-4pm, entrance near the Marine Air Terminal, and is free to the public. Learn more here: http://laguardiakiwanis.com/KIDSDAY.aspx

Speedbird1
2010-08-14, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Had a great time last year and will bring friends. I wish JFK had this too but they don't like spotters as I've learned many times.

Delta777LR
2010-08-29, 08:18 PM
Im planning to bring my girlfriend.. thanks for the update

alberchico
2010-09-10, 05:29 PM
What time does it start ?

ISP Pilot
2010-09-15, 12:17 AM
12 Noon - 4 PM

Flyer (http://laguardiakiwanis.com/KIDSDAY.aspx)

Chris S
2010-09-15, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know if any special aircraft or military fighters are already scheduled to be there ??

Chris S
2010-09-22, 08:04 PM
Hmm, still no info on any special visiting aircraft scheduled yet, huh ????:confused:

cowens727
2010-09-23, 12:22 PM
I'm gonna try to make it, I have a friends kid birthday party to attend as well, but I think we know what is more important...

moose135
2010-09-23, 01:27 PM
I'm gonna try to make it, I have a friends kid birthday party to attend as well, but I think we know what is more important...
The LGA Open House, of course!

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2010-09-24, 12:00 PM
Alright guys I'd like to bring some friends and their kids to this event tomorrow but...does anyone know if the fighting omars will return like last year or any fighters for that matter?

I was just at Oceana and I should have asked them considering I attended the Oclub on Friday night and I believe they were there...doh!

Anyhow if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Brian

NIKV69
2010-09-24, 10:15 PM
I noticed on ACARS that the PSA bird (742) may be in town. Tomorrow is the anniversary of PSA 182. I am headed to the crash site with a couple of locals here. We are going to have a moment of silence at the moment of impact and then head to the SD Air museum where the plaque is. If you can see the PSA bird tomorrow guys remember that morning.

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2010-09-24, 10:27 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone care to chime in on tomorrow's special visitors??

LGA777
2010-09-24, 10:49 PM
Nick, I had no idea tomorrow was the Anniversary, thanks for sharing and very impressed you are remembering the tragedy in such a special way ! I had hoped to bring over N745VJ this year for something different for our group to shoot up close. But do to the popularity of the PSA smile with the kids this is the aircraft our local management requested and its routings for the last week have been locked in so it would be LGA's spare on the 25th. So N742PS will be making a repeat visit tomorrow, enjoy guys,and for those who see her tomorrow, remember all those lost on Sept 25, 1978 !

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2010-09-25, 01:21 AM
Any fighters?? Anyone?? Please?? LoL

PhantomII
2010-09-25, 01:42 AM
Any fighters?? Anyone?? Please?? LoL
Patience, Grasshopper, patience. All will be revealed in time...

Speedbird1
2010-09-25, 06:08 AM
Sad anniversary. Thanks for remembering that terrible collision in San Diego. I remember seeing "Smiling Jack" last year.

Gerard
2010-09-25, 08:42 AM
Patience, Grasshopper, patience. All will be revealed in time...

The time is 8:40AM. The event starts at 12. I guess people want to know what types of aircraft will be there before making their travel plans.

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2010-09-25, 09:25 AM
Exactly...I'm only a hop skip and jump to LGA but my friends are waiting on my answer as well...

NIKV69
2010-09-25, 10:35 AM
Nick, I had no idea tomorrow was the Anniversary, thanks for sharing and very impressed you are remembering the tragedy in such a special way ! I had hoped to bring over N745VJ this year for something different for our group to shoot up close. But do to the popularity of the PSA smile with the kids this is the aircraft our local management requested and its routings for the last week have been locked in so it would be LGA's spare on the 25th. So N742PS will be making a repeat visit tomorrow, enjoy guys,and for those who see her tomorrow, remember all those lost on Sept 25, 1978 !

When I saw that on ACARS I thought that was the case. When I made my first trip to Dwight and Nile and the site where the Cessna went down I couldn't help but wonder what those people went through as it is a small neighboorhood and the houses are very close together. It's a big part of SDs history. PSA was a big family and it hit them hard and remember to watch "Return to Dwight and Nile" when you can. It's a very well done new documentary on the crash.

LGA777
2010-09-25, 11:56 AM
Sorry for short notice but unable to confirm what is their until now. For the first time ever ALL Military aircraft have cancelled. It was supposed to be 2 F-18's. 2 C-130's and the KC-135. All cancelled last min for multiple reasons. On the Civil side, AA MD80, DL/NW A-319 and US A-319 N742PS, and 3 Cessna's. Rwy 4-22 closed up and down 31. At least it is a nice sunny day and everything their is FREE !

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2010-09-25, 04:06 PM
Dammit that sucks! I showed up anyway and Quickly realized there would be no military presence after speaking with a few people...so I left before 2pm. Oh well maybe next year...

moose135
2010-09-25, 07:39 PM
Too bad you left when you did - you could have seen the President of Colombia departing...

http://www.moose135photography.com/Airplanes/UN-Week-Visitors/UN-Week-2010/JM20100925ColombianBBJFAC00010/1021909468_rntxG-L.jpg

http://www.moose135photography.com/Airplanes/UN-Week-Visitors/UN-Week-2010/JM20100925ColombianBBJFAC00010/1021909550_ZxjX3-L.jpg

darlyn
2010-09-25, 08:16 PM
Aw, man, missed the Columbian 737 departure. I left at around 4... I should have my pictures up soon in a new topic, though.

LGA777
2010-09-25, 08:20 PM
Two GREAT shots Moose! I love the way you framed the new Tower in the 1st one, I never noticed the very subtle yet classy trim on the winglets until these shots. Just curious how the Port was toward you guys at the end as I am pretty sure the BBJ departed after closing time?

darlyn
2010-09-25, 08:25 PM
Runway 31 was the departure runway, and we were standing just southwest of the end of it.

moose135
2010-09-25, 08:38 PM
Thanks Ron! When I can, I like to include some background element that helps place the photo location.

Port really didn't bother us at all. Just before 4pm, a woman with a "Staff" shirt walked by and said we needed to head toward the bus, since they needed to clear the ramp by 4. From the size of the lines remaining at the airliners, we knew that wasn't going to happen, so we just stayed where we were (right about the spot we met at) and waited them out. We had to be on just about the last bus, but we got to see the departure. In fact, at one point, a guy in a Port SUV pulled over to us, and I was sure he was going to chase us to the bus. Instead, he asked me if we uploaded to A.net, and he and I had a short chat about aviation and photography - he's heard of NYCA, and said he might join us here as he does some aircraft photography and just got a new DSLR. I told him we were hoping we would get to see the BBJ depart, he said "Don't worry, you will..."

LGA777
2010-09-25, 09:20 PM
Cool story John, glad it all worked out, as you got one of this years highlights for rare for LGA. I had hoped to ask my Port Management contact who is actually I think in charge of this event to see if he could let you guys hang until it departed but he drove off before I had a chance! Based on the crowds today and last year and the length of the lines to tour the aircraft I think for the future they should consider adding another hour to the event !

Speedbird1
2010-09-26, 06:39 AM
As usual, we spent a great time at LGA yesterday. What a perfect day and what gracious hosts. I was amazed that parking was free as I always came with trains and buses in the past. Met Phil and a former student from my old school from my days of teaching who is now in the Civil Air Patrol. I could be mistaken, but the commercial jets looked exactly the same as from last year; especially "Smilin' Jack" but that's OK. I think that UAL used to have an aircraft on display, too. A little disappointed there was no fly-by or landing chopper but everything was fine anyway, I learned that in case of inclement weather, the rain date was for Oct. 16. Fortunately, that will be not needed. Thanks to Kiwanis, the PANYNJ, and all the volunteers. I came home and fell asleep for 9 nine hours.

darlyn
2010-09-26, 09:35 AM
Some more shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10856779@N05/tags/lgakidsday/
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5025229865_da722bdc27_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/5025838854_1bbf3d5fc8_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5025839508_cc5dea484c_z.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2010-09-26, 01:08 PM
I had a fun time, even though it was a little smaller in terms of the aircraft that came out. No military presence or helicopters were a little disappointing. There was also no Department of Corrections presense either, which is a dispaly I tend to enjoy. I actually brought out my whole family and they had a good time.

The C-47 that came out was pretty great, and my family got a nice tour inside of it. I also enjoyed checking out the PAPD ESU gear, like the cutter and spreader...I didn't know how heavy those things were! My brother's a firefighter up in Westchester and he gave me a little tour of some of the equipment.

I also learned that a KC-13 was going to come in. To quell rumors, the 4-engined aircraft WOULD have been allowed to operate, as it received special approval. It's issues are not about it having 4 engines or even the wheels distribution, but more so because of taxi turning radius and such.

Hope everyone that came had a good time. It was great meeting some new people!

Speedbird1
2010-09-27, 07:44 AM
I sent an e-mail to the Kiwanis Club thanking them for all the work and effort they put into the planning of this weekend's Kids Day. They even scheduled a rain date, Oct. 16, which will not be needed. They said the reason there were no military jets was that they were deployed for duty elsewhere. I wanted to see a chopper depart like we saw last year. I did notice an aircraft flying at 16:33 southbound past the VZ Bridge resembling the Douglas C-47 Skytrain that we saw at the show but it must have been a different aircraft. At 16:33, the Skytrain must have still been on the ground. We all had a great time and appreciate all the effort that went into this show by the Kiwanis Club, the Civil Air Patrol, the NY-NJ PA and all those bus drivers, etc. Seeing the Trump Shuttle was the bonus. I wonder if there's slots aboard? Free parking at Lot 7; great going !