PDA

View Full Version : FAA Downgrades Mexico’s Aviation Safety Ranking

NYCA News
2010-07-30, 08:43 PM
NYCAviation:

:arrow: FAA to Downgrade Mexico’s Aviation Safety Ranking, Banning Mexican Airlines from Codesharing and Service Expansion in US (http://nycaviation.com/2010/07/30/faa-to-downgrade-mexico-aviation-safety-ranking-restrict-mexican-codeshares-with-us-carriers/)

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the Federal Aviation Administration is set to
enact major restrictions on Mexican airlines serving the United States after re-assessing
Mexico’s aviation safety standards. [Full Article (http://nycaviation.com/2010/07/30/faa-to-downgrade-mexico-aviation-safety-ranking-restrict-mexican-codeshares-with-us-carriers/)]

LGA777
2010-07-31, 12:45 AM
This is really bad news for Mexicana as I did not realize until 36 hours ago is on the verge of at least Mexico's version of Chapter 11 if not total collapse. Among other problems Air Canada reposed several of their A-319's while on overnights in Canada this week claiming they have not been paid in a year for leases on those Air Canada owned aircraft, and rumor has several other leasing companies may do the same soon. I had no idea they where in such diar straights but for any Mexicana fan's on here things don't sound good at all !

LGA777

Alex T
2010-07-31, 04:07 PM
This will put a damper on the WN Codeshare plans with Volaris in Mexico.

Alex

NLovis
2010-07-31, 04:19 PM
This is going to hurt more then just WN.Without the codeshare DAL, UAL, AA will have to either cut the route or fly their own a/c on the route. Unless I misread this and what they currently have will stay. Hmm just a question but would they allow lets say AA to fly their a/c on the MX route with MX having their code on it?

Matt Molnar
2010-07-31, 06:27 PM
This is going to hurt more then just WN.Without the codeshare DAL, UAL, AA will have to either cut the route or fly their own a/c on the route. Unless I misread this and what they currently have will stay. Hmm just a question but would they allow lets say AA to fly their a/c on the MX route with MX having their code on it?
DL will be hurt a little, but they have decent Mexico routes on their own. CO and US have the most to gain.

I don't think this particular ruling would affect MX code on AA-operated flights, but AA would need to apply for permission from both US and Mexican authorities to fly those routes.

NLovis
2010-07-31, 09:28 PM
DL will be hurt a little, but they have decent Mexico routes on their own. CO and US have the most to gain.

I don't think this particular ruling would affect MX code on AA-operated flights, but AA would need to apply for permission from both US and Mexican authorities to fly those routes.
Ah alright. I wasnt too sure about what would have happened with current routes and such. Alrighty. Now lets see how long this will last.

hiss srq
2010-07-31, 10:35 PM
Interesting.... Outside of the Mexicana side of things I wonder if some of it is not political...

SengaB
2010-08-03, 03:32 PM
Looks like its going to be time to do a MXA tribute soon. I still need to get a good shot of the new colors Too bad so sad