PDA

View Full Version : Book Signing and Lecture

JHNA57
2010-07-29, 11:11 AM
Did you know in that in the early 60's United Airlines had a late afternoon flight between NY to Chicago that was "gentlemen only". No woman were allowed and each passenger on the Caravelle flight was given a complimentary cigar and Scotch.

I did not know about these flights either until I ran across a book in Barnes and Noble called "FROM PROPS TO JETS" by Craig Kodera, Mike Machat and John Proctor.The book is filled with stories like the one above and tons of pictures from the "Golden Age of Commercial Aviation". Many of the pictures are from NY's Idlewild Airport (JFK today).

It is an excellent book and would recommend it to anyone.

Now for the best news, one of the authors of the book, Mike Machat (a LI native and artist) will be having a book signing and lecture at the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Thurs., Aug 12 at 7 pm.

All the information can be found here: http://www.cradleofaviation.org/

His lecture will cover his growing up on LI and his fascination with commercial aviation in the early 60's.

I also consider this the "Golden Age of Commercial Aviation" and I am glad I got to witness at least the tail end of it. I will do my best to attend.

mirrodie
2011-04-11, 12:06 AM
THey paid for those scotch and cigars as part of their ticket.

I'll take a look. Like Machat's work.