PDA

View Full Version : Android Owners Unite

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-11, 09:59 PM
So I decided I will enter the smart phone market with an Android device. I'm looking at the Motorola Droid X on Verizon Wireless and hopefully I'll get it this week or go on a waiting list this week because the demand for this phone is so high. You can find out about the Droid family of phones here: http://phones.verizonwireless.com/droid/x/ Once I get my Droid I'll probably transform this thread into an informational one with apps ect;.

So what Android phone/tablet/device do you own? What version of Android is it running? What apps do you recommend?

Derf
2010-07-11, 10:21 PM
I am sorry for your loss....

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-11, 10:51 PM
At least I can hold my phone in my left hand! :lol: :lol:

cancidas
2010-07-12, 12:22 AM
At least I can hold my phone in my left hand! :lol: :lol:
i can do the same with my BB. typing is trickier though....

Derf
2010-07-12, 08:19 AM
OK, HERE WE GO with the antenna!

Being Ham Radio and understanding how the Antenna works, there is no issue with the iPhone 4. I am sure I will get flamed for this by people who do not understand antennas but with an outside antenna you get better reception with the new phone and when you do touch it and change the wavelength it does change how the antenna works. I will try to make it simple

If you loose all the bars by touching it, you would not have any reception with the previous iPhone. If you have a good signal, the touch will not do anything. The 5 bar is almost 90% of the signal and the other bars are what is left. If touching it makes all the bars drop you will have had a piss poor signal to start with and the regular iPhone and most other phones would have had issues already.

Phil W2LIE would understand the issue well and anyone who had made an antenna. It is not easy to explain, that is why they simply don't. APPLE screwed the pooch on that one with their software and how the levels are displayed by the OS but to people who look to bash iPhone, we are all just simply covering the facts up.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-12, 08:58 AM

Being Ham Radio and understanding how the Antenna works, there is no issue with the iPhone 4. I am sure I will get flamed for this by people who do not understand antennas but with an outside antenna you get better reception with the new phone and when you do touch it and change the wavelength it does change how the antenna works. I will try to make it simple

If you loose all the bars by touching it, you would not have any reception with the previous iPhone. If you have a good signal, the touch will not do anything. The 5 bar is almost 90% of the signal and the other bars are what is left. If touching it makes all the bars drop you will have had a piss poor signal to start with and the regular iPhone and most other phones would have had issues already.

Phil W2LIE would understand the issue well and anyone who had made an antenna. It is not easy to explain, that is why they simply don't. APPLE screwed the pooch on that one with their software and how the levels are displayed by the OS but to people who look to bash iPhone, we are all just simply covering the facts up.

I was joking about the left hand comment.

It is interesting what you are saying though. Most tech blogs Cnet,Gizmondo,Engadet ect; jumped the gun the first day and blamed the antenna when none of them actually explained whats wrong with it.

T-Bird76
2010-07-13, 11:42 AM
I have the HTC Droid Incredible and I love it. For me it's the perfect size phone, larger screen then the iPhone but not as big as the EVO or the X. The Droid X and EVO for me are bit to large, but Motorola did an insane job on the Droid X..the thing is a powerhouse.

Some pro's of the HTC Incredible and Android.
Screen size
Screen resolution
Speed
Highly customizable screens
Good loudspeaker
Full suite of Google software and featurs the iPhone can't use.
Verizon Network...blows the doors off of AT&T...btw AT&T users just be quiet your network sucks... ;)
Background notification and No pop up notifications
True multitasking...iOS 4 is not real multitasking.

Negatives.
Battery life...

Some apps I have downloaded....

Pandora
Slacker
FXCamera
Retro Camera
Camera Illusion
PicSay
Foursquare
TexPlus
Calorie Count
Droid Fit
Where
LIRR
NYCMate
Layer
Dropbox
Radar now

I love the idea of having widgets which the iPhone doesn't have ;) Some well designed widgets include.

CBS News
NY Times
Weather Channel
HTC Clock
YouTube
Facebook

I wonder what Apple will be saying when in 2012 Android based phones take over the market???

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-13, 10:14 PM
I also really like the the HTC Incredible if the wait for the Droid X is crazy this phone will be my 2nd choice. Some of the reasons I put the Droid X above this phone though is because the Droid X has a slightly better CPU and it has a larger screen which is great for movies and typing. I do like the quality of the HTC screen though. I am worried about battery life though.

Also I wouldn't like it if Android dominated the market because competition is great in the tech market.

T-Bird76
2010-07-13, 11:45 PM
Also I wouldn't like it if Android dominated the market because competition is great in the tech market.

I think you're going to see a similar thing to Microsoft v Apple with Google and Apple. Google is allowing Android to be used by many different vendors vs. Apple who doesn't let iOS out of their walled garden. You can debate the merits and negatives to both but Google's allowance of Android being used be different vendors will alone place Android based smartphones at the top of the market place. The last quarter Android was the only mobile platform that grew, all other contracted.

I love to bust Apple user's chops since most of them drink the Koolaid without question but the Google crowd is just like the Apple crowd. They are just drinking another brand of Koolaid with a company that does a good job at not being as openly swarmy as Apple....Google's swarminess is just incognito...for now. ;)

Now i'm going to go download some new Google apps. lol

T-Bird76
2010-07-15, 12:10 PM

Really Fred.... Sorry Fred but its not software its a hardware issue that even Apple insiders said would be a problem.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38260210/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-15, 04:17 PM
Verizon gave me the run around today. I'm so angry at them it makes me want to finish off the account and drop them all together.

My old phone has battery issues and they wanted me to spend $50 on a new battery when my contract expires 8/13/10. I called them up asking if they can give me an early upgrade for the Droid X (this also means they get $300 plus $30 in data fees a month early!) the rep cleared it with her supervisor and said she has the account all set up for the upgrade. Then on Wednesday the place that I pre-ordered the phone from said to come in early because they have 20 pre-orders and 5 phones. I came in early and then they went into the account and it did not mention anything about an early upgrade. The store manager called someone (who I assume was from Verizon wireless) and he got yelled out because he is not supposed to ask for early upgrade but he wasn't even asking about that. Then I called Verizon customer care and explained the story to a rep who transferred me to a supervisor. The supervisor said there was nothing she can do but she can order me one and get it shipped. She was obviously lying because I can't see how a Verizon manager can push a couple of buttons and get the date changed, a couple of customers and even the store manager said they've had this done problem free with contracts that expired in 4-5 months! I believe why this manager did what she did was because I was at an authorized retailer and not a corporate store and I believe she was desperate for a sale. If anything goes wrong with the shipping I'm canceling Verizon and getting an Evo 4G with Sprint or maybe even a 3GS with AT&T.

/end of rant

Derf
2010-07-15, 04:46 PM

Really Fred.... Sorry Fred but its not software its a hardware issue that even Apple insiders said would be a problem.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38260210/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

OF COURSE Apple insiders said it was going to be a problem....AND THEY WERE RIGHT! Look at the news?

Here is what is really going on
http://www.tested.com/news/cell-phone-reception-explained-what-the-bars-mean/510/

The new iPhone gets much better reception because of the antenna on the outside, if you hold it you change the wavelength and loose probably around 10db.... but with the antenna you are 20-25db better in reception to start with. If you loose all bars by holding it, my 3G would not have any reception at that point and that phone has NO antenna issues at all.

It has been reported by many that dead spots that customers had with their 3G and 3GS is no longer an issue...THE ANTENNA IS BETTER THAN PREVIOUS iPhones and that is FACT even with the "antenna issues" that are not really issues.

Apple has made it CLEAR in saying that anyone that is not happy with the iPhone 4 can feel free to return it for a Full refund yet there has been no mass refund. I have only seen 1 iPhone user return their iPhone 4 because the internal temp reported that it was hotter than the sun.... He got another iPhone 4.

Instead of reading what all the Android users write about the Evil iPhone and their shotty hardware....pick one up from one of the many that actually use it. I still to this day say that Verizon is AWESOME in terms of reception, the customer service sucks but I am glad they do not make phones. Then I will tell you that my old 2nd gen iPhone is Very outdated but I love it just the same and the AT@T 3g is much better than Verizons...WHEN IT WORKS. I do not use the phone that much but in the past 4 months it has been MUCH better than previous and their system is getting much better every month and I am not upset with the FEW dropped calls I am getting. It does look like they are getting their act together and if the iphone comes out on Verizon... I would probably go with Verizon...but I will now have to think about it. With Verizons cap on internet and AT@T's improvements, I may actually stay if things continue to get better.

OK, you can now keep throwing rocks at the EVIL APPLE and Rotten AT@T now :borat:

emshighway
2010-07-15, 09:03 PM
Droid X and HTC EVO 4G Head-to-Head

http://jkontherun.com/2010/07/11/droid- ... d-to-head/ (http://jkontherun.com/2010/07/11/droid-x-and-htc-evo-4g-head-to-head/)

T-Bird76
2010-08-10, 06:20 PM
Just installed Gmote and PdaNet..... Awesome apps. Gmote can give you access to your media files and PdaNet allows tethering without rooting the phone and on Android 2.1.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-08-13, 08:59 PM
Verizon sent me a Droid X thank you promo package for purchasing the phone. They included 4 $25 off coupons on any purchase of a Droid phone (Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid 2, and HTC Droid Incredible). If anyone is planning on buying a Droid phone and wants a coupon send me a PM.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-08-21, 10:24 AM
http://www.stealthguards.com is giving away free screen protectors as part of a new promotion. I decided to order one and try it out since it is only $3 for shipping

HTC Droid Incredible Full Body Protection (http://www.stealthguards.com/index.php/cellphones/htc-droid-incredible-full-body-protection.html)

Motorola Droid X Full Body Protectio (http://www.stealthguards.com/index.php/cellphones/motorola-droid-x-full-body-protection.html)

Other phones (http://www.stealthguards.com/index.php/cellphones.html)

From what I've read they seem to be on par with Zagg.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-12, 03:57 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I've just joined the android family so to speak with the Evo and I want to know what apps some of you guys would recommend. I'm not used to having access to tens of thousands of apps since my Palm app market only had hundreds, none of which were any good, save angry birds. So...fire them at me!

PS Kenneth, I had the Zagg on my Palm and while it was great for scratches, it does nothing to protect from shock. With the pickup of my Evo, I also purchased the Otterbox Defender which has excellent reviews for shock protection and a built in screen protector. The thing is pretty diesel.

Fighting_falcon_51
2011-03-13, 12:38 PM
Actually I recommend rooting it and flashing if you feel confident. You can do a lot more things like wireless tether, overclocking/underclocking, ad blocking, temp monitoring and tons of customization like being able to select different icons, themes, and boot logos. If you ever consider rooting/flashing I can send you some information via PM.

As far as some of the apps I recommend:

Dropbox - Easily share files between your phone and PC.
Go SMS - A free SMS app that is a lot better than the stock Android texting app.
Executive Assistant - Keeps email, Facebook, Twitter ect; all organized in one widget.
Skype Mobile - Allows you to IM and make International calls.
Air Control - Fun aviation themed game.
WHERE - Great for traveling, it gives you movie theater info, places to eat, stay, drink, hotels ect.
Locate My Droid - Allows you to find your phone via GPS.
Google Maps/Navigation
Bump - Allows you to easily share contacts and apps
Photoshop Express
Yellow Pages
FM Radio
Barcode scanner- Allows you to scan barcodes and get prices ect.

Also I ended up going with Zagg I only needed screen protection and it works pretty good. The only problem is lint gets stuck between the screen and screen protector.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-13, 01:51 PM
Actually I recommend rooting it and flashing if you feel confident. You can do a lot more things like wireless tether, overclocking/underclocking, ad blocking, temp monitoring and tons of customization like being able to select different icons, themes, and boot logos. If you ever consider rooting/flashing I can send you some information via PM.

As far as some of the apps I recommend:

Dropbox - Easily share files between your phone and PC.
Go SMS - A free SMS app that is a lot better than the stock Android texting app.
Executive Assistant - Keeps email, Facebook, Twitter ect; all organized in one widget.
Skype Mobile - Allows you to IM and make International calls.
Air Control - Fun aviation themed game.
WHERE - Great for traveling, it gives you movie theater info, places to eat, stay, drink, hotels ect.
Locate My Droid - Allows you to find your phone via GPS.
Google Maps/Navigation
Bump - Allows you to easily share contacts and apps
Photoshop Express
Yellow Pages
FM Radio
Barcode scanner- Allows you to scan barcodes and get prices ect.

Also I ended up going with Zagg I only needed screen protection and it works pretty good. The only problem is lint gets stuck between the screen and screen protector.
I'll get to rooting it eventually. I'm just trying to adjust to this OS from my ****ty Palm.

I already have Where, PS express, Barcode Scanner. FM radio came preinstalled but I really don't want it. I also have Air Control, Bump, and Plane Finder (which is the **** for spotting). The Executive thing doesn't apply as I have neither a twitter or a facebook. Is there any other badass apps to consider?

As for the Zagg, you sure you got that thing on good enough? I never had that issue with my Palm. It's supposed to be a second skin. Maybe trying to re-apply would fix the problem? It's only baby shampoo and water to apply.

Fighting_falcon_51
2011-03-14, 07:46 PM
I'll get to rooting it eventually. I'm just trying to adjust to this OS from my ****ty Palm.

I already have Where, PS express, Barcode Scanner. FM radio came preinstalled but I really don't want it. I also have Air Control, Bump, and Plane Finder (which is the **** for spotting). The Executive thing doesn't apply as I have neither a twitter or a facebook. Is there any other badass apps to consider?

As for the Zagg, you sure you got that thing on good enough? I never had that issue with my Palm. It's supposed to be a second skin. Maybe trying to re-apply would fix the problem? It's only baby shampoo and water to apply.

I actually got the Zagg from Best Buy and had them install it and it looked fine. I have heard of other users having this problem and they said if I send in my current one they'll send me another protector.

Here are some more apps:

Tinyshark - shh! No one is supposed to know
Wallpaper rotator- Rotates your wallpaper
Remote RDP- Allows you to remote into your pc
Google Goggles- Pretty cool camera landmark app
Camera 360
Xplane- Expensive but its pretty cool

If you browse the market you'll find some more cool stuff here is the web version of the market so you can browse on your computer https://market.android.com/

seahawks7757
2011-03-15, 05:46 PM
Me, I have words with friends. Got foursquare last night. Tower Raiders is a good game.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-16, 06:11 PM
Nice guys! Thanks!!! I'm still trying to adjust to everything on this phone lol.

NIKV69
2011-06-25, 10:45 PM
Epic bump I have joined the Android family! Still getting used to apps but I love Tweetcaster so far. Totally epic We need Alfano back!

wunaladreamin
2011-06-25, 10:49 PM
Nick...PLANEFINDER! Oh and Feed Bananas to Obama lol

Fighting_falcon_51
2011-07-01, 01:30 AM
We might be another man down, my Droid X is bricked lol.

Derf
2011-07-01, 08:06 AM
You guys are dropping like fly's! 2 guys at work had their droids die in the last week, My wifes died 2 days ago and this is the 3rd phone in 1 1/2 years and had to get a new phone... the rocket scientist got another droid and a different guy had to go thru 3 droids to get a new good one.

I had to return one iPhone 4 due to a bent pin when it was given to me but it worked, charged and transferred flawlessly still. I do not know anyone who had to return an iPhone besides me but hear Android issues daily...and many of them. I feel bad for you guys. It is never to late to switch to the DARK SIDE.

Derf
2011-07-01, 10:45 AM
Ken, can you call me tonight after 7pm? :smile:

NIKV69
2011-07-01, 11:53 AM
I will fight Apple to the bitter end. As I will flip flops and Priuses!

bonanzabucks
2011-07-23, 09:52 PM
I have a Samsung Epic 4G and love it. Im probably going to get a Samsung Galaxy S 2 or a Motorola Photon when they come out next month. I also have an Asus Eee Pad Transformer, which I am using to type this post. Lol This thing absolutely rocks!

T-Bird76
2011-07-24, 01:32 PM
I will fight Apple to the bitter end. As I will flip flops and Priuses!

I'm wearing flipflops right now Nick while on my iPhone ;)