PDA

View Full Version : The Queen's Aircraft

Speedbird1
2010-07-07, 05:41 AM
Does anybody have any info on yesterday's visit by Queen Elizabeth? I think she flew on a private jet from Toronto to JFK but that's all I read. Did her party fly on a chopper from JFK to the Downtown Heliport and then motorcade to the UN up the FDR? When did she depart JFK? Any info on her chartered aircraft? I was planning to check it out myself but I am a senior and the stifling humidity and heat kept me away.

Iberia A340-600
2010-07-07, 11:57 AM
She flew on a Canadian Air Force A310 to JFK.

Speedbird1
2010-07-08, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the info. The news media never showed her arrival or departure from JFK. How did she return home to LHR?

Iberia A340-600
2010-07-08, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info. The news media never showed her arrival or departure from JFK. How did she return home to LHR?

No one appears to be sure of how she went back to LHR but some speculate she went back on the Canadian A310.

hiss srq
2010-07-08, 12:35 PM
I will ask friends at BA if she might have flown speedbird from JFK or EWR home.... Sometimes the royal family does indeed travel on BA in First/Business class to and fro..... Can anyone dig around in Live ATC and check out clearnce delivery to see if the Canadian A310 might have flown LHR?

SengaB
2010-07-08, 06:15 PM
It was the RCAF A310. Parked in front of the triple hangers in the afternoon.

Senga

Altitude9
2010-07-08, 07:12 PM
There was a TFR up in NYC for her arrival yesterday too.

Speedbird1
2010-07-09, 05:28 AM
I am not in the airline industry so I am unfamiliar with the term TFR. What does it stand for? Please advise. Sadly, the LeBron James nonsense got way more coverage than the Queen's visit. I still believe that she took a chopper from JFK to the Wall St. Heliport and then motorcaded up to the UN. Since she will probably never visit NYC again, why won't they give-out full information about her visit?

Altitude9
2010-07-09, 06:10 AM
I am not in the airline industry so I am unfamiliar with the term TFR. What does it stand for? Please advise. Sadly, the LeBron James nonsense got way more coverage than the Queen's visit. I still believe that she took a chopper from JFK to the Wall St. Heliport and then motorcaded up to the UN. Since she will probably never visit NYC again, why won't they give-out full information about her visit?

Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is used to protect the airspace around VIPs, large gatherings of people, and aircraft hazzards (volcanos, or fires to allow firefighting aircraft free reign in the airspace)

Edit: Just found this link (http://academy.ivaousa.org/index.php/courses/57-airspace/138-tfrs-and-special-use-airspace?ddcebc16e0537d8fab498f6cc279ab7b=nbxhppzc b&showall=1&ddcebc16e0537d8fab498f6cc279ab7b=nbxhppzcb) that goes into detail if you're interested.

Gerard
2010-07-09, 05:42 PM
[quote="Speedbird1"] I still believe that she took a chopper from JFK to the Wall St. Heliport and then motorcaded up to the UN.

Not so sure of this. If so it had to be a military ship. I dont see the Queen using any local commercial companies.
In fact I remember, barely, a member(s) of the Royal Family visited NYC MANY years back and they actually flew in a
couple of helicopters from Britain to fly her around.
Anyone remember this? I swear I might have a pic lying around somewhere in my archives but dont have the energy
time or inclination to start digging in. :lol:

hiss srq
2010-07-09, 05:52 PM
Gerard... I do remember this.... My stepfather's company is the fowarder that shipped the helicopter. IThere may have been an AStar as well sent over but I factually recall the S61 because we have a big head on overhead picture of it in my stepfathers office and also in our brochure for trade shows etc.... The name HISS comes from the subsidiary of his company which deals exclusively in shipping helicopters....

LGA777
2010-07-09, 07:05 PM
Wow I just learned something I did not know about you Hiss SRQ. I always thought the hiss was because of your snake like personality, I stand corrected.

LGA777

Gerard
2010-07-09, 07:30 PM
Gerard... I do remember this.... My stepfather's company is the fowarder that shipped the helicopter. IThere may have been an AStar as well sent over but I factually recall the S61 because we have a big head on overhead picture of it in my stepfathers office and also in our brochure for trade shows etc.... The name HISS comes from the subsidiary of his company which deals exclusively in shipping helicopters....

Nice, so I'm not (that) crazy!!! :lol:

hiss srq
2010-07-09, 10:40 PM
Wow I just learned something I did not know about you Hiss SRQ. I always thought the hiss was because of your snake like personality, I stand corrected.

LGA777
:lol: Well played sir... Well played.

Mateo
2010-07-11, 10:36 AM
At the very least, when Prince Charles came a few years ago (05/06?), an RAF Merlin was floating around in support of the visit.

Also, not to be pedantic, but the "Royal" was dropped from the Canadian Forces back in the 60s. Canada's armed services are all included in the Canadian Forces umbrella, with the Air Force technically being the Canadian Forces Air Command.