PDA

View Full Version : Small plane crash in Fairfield, NJ

Zee71
2010-07-05, 07:57 PM
Just came across this on the WABC website:

"A small plane has crashed in Fairfield, New Jersey, killing 3 people.

It happened just after 5:30 p.m. Monday at Daniel Road and Sperry Road near the Essex County Airport.

Plane had just taken off from Essex County Airport when it crashed."

Gerard
2010-07-05, 08:25 PM
Reports say it was a Cirrus SR22. 3 fatals, airport closed.

Altitude9
2010-07-06, 06:44 AM
They crashed on the extended centerline of RW 22. We overflew it last night and diverted to MMU. Really sad.

Altitude9
2010-07-06, 02:12 PM
I found out more information. The Cirrus attempted a landing on rw4, came in hot, high, and fast. She porpoised on the runway, causing a prop strike. The go-around attempt was hindered by the prop strike. They then stall/spun/crashed, and burned.

SengaB
2010-07-06, 02:20 PM
Wow and I was just in Fairfield 1 hour ago.

threeholerglory
2010-07-06, 09:15 PM
@ Altitude: That couldn't sound more accurate. My friends saw the entire thing happen and based off of flying there since I was 6, I've ALWAYS been amazed by the overwhelming majority of pilots who come in way too hot here. It's no surprise that there was a prop strike, particularly in this aircraft with the nose gear design. Sounds to me exactly like what would happen. Very sad, I've fueled the owner many times and she was an INCREDIBLY nice lady and from her professional background, would seem equally as bright. A very sad occurrence and my condolences to all families and affected persons involved.

Gerard
2010-07-06, 09:56 PM
I found out more information. The Cirrus attempted a landing on rw4, came in hot, high, and fast. She porpoised on the runway, causing a prop strike. The go-around attempt was hindered by the prop strike. They then stall/spun/crashed, and burned.

Just curious and not to be insensitive but after the prop strike was it wise to go airborne again? Or did she have no
other choice and couldnt stop?
Thanks.

Altitude9
2010-07-06, 10:35 PM

Just curious and not to be insensitive but after the prop strike was it wise to go airborne again? Or did she have no
other choice and couldnt stop?
Thanks.

That's a good question. I've been taught to never try to take an injured bird back up, because you don't know the extent of the damage. It's very easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback, but I guess that's how we learn too.

Altitude9
2010-07-06, 10:37 PM
@ Altitude: That couldn't sound more accurate. My friends saw the entire thing happen and based off of flying there since I was 6, I've ALWAYS been amazed by the overwhelming majority of pilots who come in way too hot here. It's no surprise that there was a prop strike, particularly in this aircraft with the nose gear design. Sounds to me exactly like what would happen. Very sad, I've fueled the owner many times and she was an INCREDIBLY nice lady and from her professional background, would seem equally as bright. A very sad occurrence and my condolences to all families and affected persons involved.

Yup. That's what I heard too...really nice people.

Mateo
2010-07-06, 11:35 PM
Wouldn't an airplane get very vibratey after a prop strike? Propellers are pretty finely tuned pieces of machinery, and having a tip curled up would tell you in a pretty big hurry that the airplane isn't going to fly for very long.

Altitude9
2010-07-07, 07:53 AM
Wouldn't an airplane get very vibratey after a prop strike? Propellers are pretty finely tuned pieces of machinery, and having a tip curled up would tell you in a pretty big hurry that the airplane isn't going to fly for very long.

ABsolutly, but one can only think what's going on inside your head at that moment.

threeholerglory
2010-07-09, 11:41 PM
having been through catastrophic engine failure in a single engine airplane (a freak incident...see N89071 in airliners.net photos), I can honestly say that in the moment, nothing should be going through the pilot's mind other than safety. Especially on the approach. The concept is very simple (and I mean no disrespect toward the pilot or relatives), but if you don't need to create an emergency, don't do it. If you can't land on the first 1/3 of the 4553' runway that CDW has, GO AROUND! That's all there is to it. I will never imply that this pilot got what she deserved (I knew her from working at the airport and she was an incredibly kind woman), but this is the type of situation we train for so we will avoid it. So many pilots have porpoised, struck props, and crashed in the same manner time after time. It is a shame that some pilots just don't get it, and won't suck it up and go around.

In response to the last posts about going around after a prop strike, I would certainly agree that it is best to get the airplane on the ground immediately. I would much rather slam the plane down, collapse the gear, sheer a wing, destroy an engine, and break my back than attempt a go around with high power, low airspeed, flaps, and a partially or catastrophically damaged engine/prop. That is simply asking for fate.

Again, and as always, my condolences to anyone affected by this crash.

Altitude9
2010-07-10, 06:35 AM
That's exactly what I heard about her too, threeholerglory. I never met her in person. The "1/3" rule is right on too.