PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Race TV Coverage

Gerard
2010-06-27, 08:00 PM
Finally watched the Fox/MSG 2 hour coverage of last Sundays Red Bull Air Race in NY Harbor and I have to say it
was done QUITE WELL!!! I am very impressed. Usually I wouldnt bother to watch but with all the hoopla surrounding
this event in NYC and the coverage here on this site I knew it would be a good look. And after watching it live myself
though from a distance for awhile from Governors Island on Saturday I was more intrigued.
Greg Kelly from Fox Morning Show hosted and they actually had a Play-By-Play announcer and a color commentator. And
I have to say they were quite good with the play-by-play guy (Brit? Aussie?) adding excitement with his style.
But the camera work was SUPERB!! Utilizing the Red Bull copter-cam, fixed cameras I guess at Liberty State Park and
Ellis Island and at Linden Airport and two specialized cameras the competition was right up front.
And speaking of up front the two special cameras were incredible. The first was in the cockpit and we got to see the
pilots as they flew and the intensity in their faces as they competed. But my favorite was the "Tail Cam". Each aircraft
had a camera in the tail and you felt you were riding along at high speed as they blasted along on the course. THat was
just crazy fun!!! 8) 8)
And they had these tight zoom ins of the aircraft at Super Slo-Mo in HD that were jaw dropping!!
I loved it when Paul Bonhomme found out he won and they showed him with the cockpit cam doing numerous rolls while
talking at the same time!! Great stuff there.
And while not mentioned during the coverage they were lucky with the weather. During the final runs you could see to
the north a storm front moving through. It was bad enough to delay the Yankee game in The Bronx but kept away from
Lower Manhattan. In fact it looked like the sun never went out down there.
They even had a medal ceremony at Linden Airport and played The Brit Natl anthem for Bonhomme.
Great great show and so much so that I decided not to erase it on my DVR and will do an encore!! :D

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-06-27, 08:32 PM
I have to say that Red Bull chase helicopter is impressive. During the HH-65 demo at the air race they showed us a slow-mo video of the USCG helicopter and you could just see the massive amount of heat coming off of it. I have to say the video work during these races are impressive.

For those of you who missed it you can watch older episodes on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Red+Bull+Air+Race&st=0) and you can see how impressive the video work is done.