PDA

View Full Version : Delta to Soon Announce JFK Terminal Renovation Plan

Matt Molnar
2010-06-15, 12:43 PM
WSJ:

Delta Eyes JFK Airport Renovation as Business Travel Soars (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704009804575308543134795762.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection)
JUNE 15, 2010, 11:24 A.M. ET

Delta Air Lines Inc. is close to announcing the renovation of its outdated terminals at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport amid an intensifying competition for the city's business-travel market.

The airline has been in talks for months with the Port Authority Of New York & New Jersey about funding a move that is expected to include demolishing the landmark Pan Am Worldport terminal at JFK to make way for new facilities.

Delta President Ed Bastian said at an industry conference that an announcement is expected within 60 days involving the Port Authority and "several other players."

"It is the worst facility that we operate," Mr. Bastian said of Delta's JFK terminals, acknowledging that they contributed to relative weakness in securing business travelers. [Full Story (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704009804575308543134795762.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection)]

kc2aqg
2010-06-15, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for the details of this announcement...

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-15, 01:59 PM
I'm confused. Last time I flew Delta through JFK 3 years ago, I thought they were in the middle of renovation. I also thought it was ongoing. Am I wrong? I would think that they'd be announcing a completion date as opposed to a renovation plan.

kc2aqg
2010-06-15, 02:22 PM
Far as I can tell Phil, there haven't been many major renovations going on at T3 for a while now. The last round of revamps that went on were to bring T2 up to snuff with new check-in counters and that new restaurant, which was around the time they opened the regional operation at gates 23-25.

I think what Ed Bastian is referring to is the long-term plan on what to do about DL's sub-par facilities. This could be in the form of taking over additional gates at T4, building out T4 to its full scale, or some other combination of airline terminal/gate swaps around the airport. There have been so many "announcements" about these plans though in the past and nothing has come of them - hence why I maintain, don't hold your breath.

Matt Molnar
2010-06-15, 02:33 PM
I'm confused. Last time I flew Delta through JFK 3 years ago, I thought they were in the middle of renovation. I also thought it was ongoing. Am I wrong? I would think that they'd be announcing a completion date as opposed to a renovation plan.
They haven't done anything beyond adding a couple of restaurants. What they need are more gates, which will require tearing down the current buildings and constructing new ones.

kc2aqg
2010-06-15, 03:14 PM
They haven't done anything beyond adding a couple of restaurants. What they need are more gates, which will require tearing down the current buildings and constructing new ones.

Exactly, which unfortunately they can not do without significantly disrupting the massive operations they have there already. Which is exactly why finding a solution to the terminal problem has been so long and complicated.