PDA

View Full Version : A First For Female Air Force Pilot

AirtrafficController
2010-06-05, 11:05 AM
The Air Force says Col. Dawn Dunlop was the first woman to fly an F-22 and becomes the "first female fighter test pilot to lead an Air Force wing" when, on June 4, she takes command of the 412th Test Wing at Edwards Air Force Base. Prior to 1993, the Air Force carried a ban on female fighter pilots. Dunlop graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1988 and went on to the Air Force Test Pilot School at Edwards in 1997. She has accumulated more than 3,300 flight hours (including combat hours) and has flown more than 25 aircraft models. In November of 2003, then Lt. Col. Dunlop became the first woman to fly the Raptor after that year being assigned as operations officer for the F-22 Combined Test Force at Edwards. Dunlop will succeed Brig. Gen. William Thornton to assume her latest command.

After graduating from the Air Force Academy, Dunlop began her career as an instructor pilot in the T-38. Her work at Edwards has included test assignments in the F-15E as well as weapons upgrade programs and developmental testing of the F-22. Her service as the operations officer for the F-22 Combined Test Force supported work that led to that aircraft's initial operational capability. Dunlop's more than 3,300 flight hours has to date been accumulated in fighter jets that include the F-22, F-15 and F-16. She has combat time served in the F-15E, which she flew in support of Operation Provide Comfort. The operation, which began in April 1991, defended Kurds fleeing northern Iraq following the Persian Gulf War.

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/dawndunlop.jpg

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/da ... 666-1.html (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/dawn_dunlop_first_female_wing_command_edwards_2026 66-1.html)

hiss srq
2010-06-05, 02:52 PM
OUCH! She looks rough! She can be the USAF sacrifical lamb I guess because most AF chicks are pretty hot.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-06-05, 03:05 PM
There's a funny animation out there on how women in the Air Force become more "butch" (for lack of a better word) as they go up in rank. Some people associate it to having to act/look more like their male counterparts, especially in situations like this where she's the first woman to do something. I will say I don't think I've ever seen a Colonel, or for that fact a Lt Col, with long hair though... Not that I really care though. Good for her though!

hiss srq
2010-06-05, 03:55 PM
She looks like her name should be somthing like Scott Pemmimore from Boise or somthing like that. Maybe his mom is from Isreal or somthing (The hair) and he plays in a 50's type band on weekends down in Laguna. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hiss srq
2010-06-05, 03:57 PM
What else astonishes me is how low time she is. If she was an airline pilot at her age with those types of hours people would still be sticking their used gum in her V-File in the crew room and she would be sitting reserve ever second bid cycle. Not running a wing.

moose135
2010-06-05, 05:09 PM
OUCH! She looks rough! She can be the USAF sacrifical lamb I guess because most AF chicks are pretty hot.
Stay classy, Ryan, stay classy...

hiss srq
2010-06-05, 05:18 PM
Just pointing out the obvious. She isnt the usual bombshell you see in the USAF that makes you go J-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMM!!!!

USAF Pilot 07
2010-06-05, 08:56 PM
What else astonishes me is how low time she is. If she was an airline pilot at her age with those types of hours people would still be sticking their used gum in her V-File in the crew room and she would be sitting reserve ever second bid cycle. Not running a wing.

That's pretty typical for most people Air Force leadership positions, especially the ones who fly fighters. If you think about it, commercial flyers, trash haulers or even myself in air refueling, we log 10 hours at a time without a sweat. The fighter guys/gals are earning those 3000 hours, 1.5 at a time!

But back to the subject of low hours in leadership jobs, it is a common theme in the Air Force (even among heavy pilots) and there are a lot of schools of thought on it. The way things go these days, if you aspire to be a squadron/wing/group commander, flying takes a backseat to schooling and staff jobs. You have to get on the "fast track" to promotion and leadership.
Most of these "fast track" guys will fly for one or two assignments as LTs and young CAPTs where they get between 1500-2500 hours (on the heavy side, less on the fighter side), and then will stop flying to go work a staff job (usually as an executive officer (i.e. secretary) for a General or Colonel). Then they'll usually be sent back to school to get a Masters (occasionally multiple masters or a PhD), then attend all the in-house schooling (such as War College, ACSC etc..) which are generally a year long. As you can imagine this doesn't leave much time for flying.

A typical squadron commander won't fly much either in the squadron. Generally they are so bogged down with meetings, paperwork etc.. that a lot of them only fly to stay current and log their beans.

It's unfortunate but being a pilot in today's Air Force isn't really a primary job anymore. Once you pin on Captain you are usually working a squadron job or two, many times which takes priority over flying. There are pros and cons to the system (you are getting a lot of training in management and office skills but aren't flying as much as you'd like), but with the Air Force trying to do more with less more and more the past few years, it's not getting any better. Oh, and if you don't get a masters in today's Air Force you'll never make Lt. Col. and may not make Major. Again maybe not necessarily a bad thing..

Gerard
2010-06-05, 11:33 PM
Stay classy, Ryan, stay classy...

Thinking the same thing John. Why go there? :?