PDA

View Full Version : Progress JFK Rwy 31L/13R

Speedbird1
2010-06-02, 05:57 AM
I visited JFK on Saturday and the work on the Bay Runway really seems to be coming along. It seems almost complete. Is it possible it could re-open before July 1? Any news?

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-02, 06:20 AM
Funny you say that....stay tuned!

Speedbird1
2010-06-02, 06:34 AM
Paving looked complete but I couldn't see the length of the entire runway from my location. Hope to hear some good news soon.

AirtrafficController
2010-06-02, 10:48 AM
I visited JFK on Saturday and the work on the Bay Runway really seems to be coming along. It seems almost complete. Is it possible it could re-open before July 1? Any news?

It better open before July 1st or the construction company gets fined $50,000 a minute by the Port Authority for being behind schedule.
Also note 31L/13R can be used for departures/arrivals (Visual/ILS 31L, depart 31L intersection Kilo-Kilo, Visual/depart 13R) when the first phase is complete before July 1st.
The construction workers will be protected by a temporary blast fence.
They will then finish resurfacing the runway from the intersection of Kilo-Kilo to the SE end of the runway.

T-Bird76
2010-06-02, 04:11 PM
I was on the construction site on Saturday. The project is on schedule. Part of 31L will be given back to JFK on July 1st or before, however only for take offs. They don't want planes landing over an active construction zone, makes sense. The rest of the runway will be completed by Nov with 22R and 31L being closed at the same time towards the end of Sept/Oct for exactly 15 days. The only part of 31L that will not be ready by July are all the new taxiways, some have not been laid as of yet, right now 2 turn offs are complete.

btw the new runway is concrete vs. asphalt..which part of it has already been replaced due to cracking.

Oh off topic but the turtles will be back in about a week at JFK...so I'm sure an over hyped turtle story will come up in the media.